Foreign v Domestic players for Derby

sage

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laurent Robert, Silva (signed on loan during Phil Brown's era), Candido Costa, Tomasz Hajito (Polish CB we signed on a free from Southampton during Phil Brown's reign). Vassilis Borbokis, Nacer Barazite,

Anyone else want to trawl through this list and pick more foreign players missing from this thread go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Derby_County_F.C._players

Couple you missed off, reich, kinky and taribo west.

Most of the players in your list, even if it was for a season were worth paying to go and watch, yes they were worth it.

Excactomondo!

Also ask yourself where were were when we had these foreign players.

You can't forget about DPFG and his mate Deon Burton too. I don't want to talk about Mo Konjic, Lillian Martin, Blessing Kaku, Fadiga (the last two only loans though).

I wouldn't count these players as foreign players. Both born and raised in the UK.

Laurent Robert, Silva (signed on loan during Phil Brown's era), Candido Costa, Tomasz Hajito (Polish CB we signed on a free from Southampton during Phil Brown's reign). Vassilis Borbokis, Nacer Barazite,

Anyone else want to trawl through this list and pick more foreign players missing from this thread go here [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Derby_County_F.C._players]http://en.wikipedia....ty_F.C._players

Was ok, rest were poor to dreadful

So one in two foreign players signed are decent. I would be surprised if the domestic players meet that ratio....

Good signings by Nigel for players signing from within the British Isles (permanent signings only):

Jake Buxton

Shaun Barker

Dean Moxey

Russell Anderson

John Brayford

James Bailey

Gareth Roberts

Ben Davies

Frank Fielding

Jamie Ward

Craig Bryson

Jason Shackell

Theo Robinson

Adam Legzdins

Michael Jacobs

Paul Coutts

Richard Keogh

Conor Sammon

...and the bad:

Chris Porter

Lee Croft

Ben Pringle

Saul Deeney

Lee Hendrie

Dave Martin

Chris Martin

Nathan Tyson

Chris Riggott

Tom Naylor

James O'Connor

The total is 18 good to 11 bad or otherwise. That's pretty damn decent considering that players from the British Isles are going to make up most of the squad, whilst Foreign players generally make up the finishing touches, the polish on a squad if you will.

I'm leaving out players who have yet to have a chance at the first team (that is, the younger signings from this season). Overall, that's extremely harsh on a few (particularly Porter, Pringle and Riggott), but I'd rather count as many players as possible on both sides.

Surely foreign players bought from a british club have a distinct advantage over foreign players bought from abroad?

The domestically signed foreigner will have had time to get used to the demands of English football. Eg: Cwyka would have been much more ready for a full season than Bueno.

Only four good signings.

Good signings in Bold by Nigel for players signing from within the British Isles (permanent signings only):

Jake Buxton

Shaun Barker

Dean Moxey

Russell Anderson

John Brayford

James Bailey

Gareth Roberts

Ben Davies

Frank Fielding

Jamie Ward

Craig Bryson

Jason Shackell

Theo Robinson

Adam Legzdins

Michael Jacobs

Paul Coutts

Richard Keogh

Conor Sammon

...and the bad:

Chris Porter

Lee Croft

Ben Pringle

Saul Deeney

Lee Hendrie

Dave Martin

Chris Martin

Nathan Tyson

Chris Riggott

Tom Naylor

James O'Connor

The total is 18 good to 11 bad or otherwise. That's pretty damn decent considering that players from the British Isles are going to make up most of the squad, whilst Foreign players generally make up the finishing touches, the polish on a squad if you will.

I'm leaving out players who have yet to have a chance at the first team (that is, the younger signings from this season). Overall, that's extremely harsh on a few (particularly Porter, Pringle and Riggott), but I'd rather count as many players as possible on both sides.

Naylor is a bad signing. he's utter *****, seen him play 4 times and he's looked appalling each time. League 1 level player.

Out performed green and Brayford at right back last season - I know Brayford was out of form and barely fit but I'll stand by that. I could see why Fulham chased him!

Good signings by Nigel for players signing from within the British Isles (permanent signings only):

Jake Buxton

Shaun Barker

Dean Moxey

Russell Anderson

John Brayford

James Bailey

Gareth Roberts

Ben Davies

Frank Fielding

Jamie Ward

Craig Bryson

Jason Shackell

Theo Robinson

Adam Legzdins

Michael Jacobs

Paul Coutts

Richard Keogh

Conor Sammon

You think Russell Anderson was a good signing ?

In these arguments I compare our best team in the past 15 years to the worst

Think no arguments to best was 1997-99: Typical 97-98 starting line up (most games played): Poom (Estonia), Laursen (Denmark), Rowett (England), Dailly (Scotland), Stimac (Croatia). Powell (England), Eranio (Italy), Carsley (Ireland), Baiaino (Italy), Sturridge (England), Wancope (Costa Rica). 5 GB&I, 6 international

98-99: Hoult (England), Schnoor (Germany), Prior (England), Carbonari (Argentina), Laursen (Denmark), Carsley (Ireland), Bohinien (Norway), Powell (Jamaica, but English born), Eranio (Italy), Sturridge (England), Wancope (Costa Rica). 5 GB&I, 6 international and in this season, Aston Villa regularly named an all English starting 11.

Worst team is either 02/03 or 07/08 for me.

02-03: Grant (England), Barton (England), Elliott (England), Riggott (England), Higginbotham (England), Lee (England), Boertien (England), Bolder (England), Kinkladze (Georgia), Christie (England), Morris (England) 10 GB&I, 1 international

07-08: Bywater (England), Mears (England), Moore (Jamaica, but English born), Leacock (England), McEveley (Scotland), Fagan (England), Pearson (Scotland), Oakley (England), Lewis (USA), Miller (Scotland), Howard (Scotland) 10 GB&I, 1 international

This tells me to out most successful teams have a mix of home and international talent, which is becoming ever more popular in the Premiership and at Championship clubs like Watford, Brighton, Palace, I don't care if people are English, Spanish, Venezuelan or Martians if they are talented footballers I'll happily have them at Derby.

Archived