Foreign v Domestic players for Derby

sage

Overall have foreign players (non British Isles) been better value, on average, than domestic players. I will try to remember as many foreign players as I can now, so you can assess their value. Asanovic, Baiano, Carbone, Carbonari, Eranio, Schnoor, Blatsis, Pereplotkins, Kazmeiraczek, Poom, Harkes, Feilhaber, Wanchope, Solis, Cywka, Idiakez, Feuer, Zadovich, Sterjovski, Ducrocq, Zavagno, Grenet, Bragstad, Fuertes, Junior, Costa, Manel, Svennson, Laursen, Stimac, Mawene, Van der Laan, Willems, Albrechtson, Rasiak and Rahmberg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even two of my favourite players only gave us one good season Asanovic and Baiano. Baiano cost £1.5m had one good season, was on good wages and left on a free. Great player, but was he worth it? Controversial I know, but was this type of deal, great but also ruinous. Oh and I left out Ravanelli

Couple you missed off, reich, kinky and taribo west.

Most of the players in your list, even if it was for a season were worth paying to go and watch, yes they were worth it.

Overall have foreign players (non British Isles) been better value, on average, than domestic players. I will try to remember as many foreign players as I can now, so you can assess their value. Asanovic, Baiano, Carbone, Carbonari, Eranio, Schnoor, Blatsis, Pereplotkins, Kazmeiraczek, Poom, Harkes, Feilhaber, Wanchope, Solis, Cywka, Idiakez, Feuer, Zadovich, Sterjovski, Ducrocq, Zavagno, Grenet, Bragstad, Fuertes, Junior, Costa, Manel, Svennson, Laursen, Stimac, Mawene, Van der Laan, Willems, Albrechtson, Rasiak and Rahmberg

Highlighted the players that I think were any good, pretty much 50/50 I would say.

I can't believe you missed Ravanelli off the worst buy of the lot!

For every Stimac there is Albrectsen, for every feuer the is a Poom. We have had some magnificent players from abroad but we have had some dire players. There are some average players that probably got that bit more appreciation because they were foreign. Would some people give Sammon less stick if his name was Garcia? Would Cywka be held in as high regard if his name was Smith?

Highlighted the players that I think were any good, pretty much 50/50 I would say.

I can't believe you missed Ravanelli off the worst buy of the lot!

I would agree with the players you highlighted. Interestingly most of the highlighted players were signed by successful managers and most of the dross by the poor managers.

Interestingly most of the highlighted players were signed by successful managers and most of the dross by the poor managers.

Most of the good players are bought from a position of strength rather than weakness. The exceptions being the catalyst players of Van der Laan and Stimac

Archived