An offer we can't refuse

you-rams

With all the transfer speculation and the inevitable comments from Clough about "every player has their price". What are peoples views on the amounts we should be accepting for our star players?

Hughes - £5 million

Brayford - £1 million

Ward - £1.5 million

Theo - £1 million

Tyson - £500k

Bryson - £2 million

Hendrick - £2 million

O'Brien - £1 million

The only players I think will leave in January are Brayford and Ward. Think we'll manage to keep Will until the summer.

I think other than the top two, your double what they are worth, maybe 50% more in Theo's case.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The OP asked what are the offers we couldn't refuse, not what the players are worth. From that I take it that he means an offer which would allow the club to strengthen the squad - ie bring in extra quality/quantity with the cash generated. Thus, by definition, the 'can't refuse' values will always be high.

for me

Hughes - £8 million

Brayford - £2 million

Ward - £1 million

Theo - £750k

Tyson - free - get him off the wage bill

Bryson - £2 million

Hendrick - £1.5 million

O'Brien - £500k

I think you're almost there..

But put yourself in the clubs shoes..

Fulham come in with a flat $7mill bid for Hughes with a 15% add on clause.. Would you accept? I think we'd be barmy not to..

I think you're almost there..

But put yourself in the clubs shoes..

Fulham come in with a flat $7mill bid for Hughes with a 15% add on clause.. Would you accept? I think we'd be barmy not to..

I would have to agree. Anything £6m or above up front I would take, especially if we can agree a deal with two weeks notice so we can bid for players without clubs knowing we have a pile of cash.

I don't think we'll sell any of our players in this window, especially as most of our first-team regulars are tied down to long-term contracts. In the summer, it could be a different story. Clough might green-light a major sale or two to give himself more room to manoeuvre in the transfer market.

I think as it stands, Hughes, Bennett and Brayford are our most saleable assets and those most likely to attract multi-million pound offers. Hughes and Bennett for their potential and Brayford for current ability. I think if Coutts added goals to his arsenal, he'd be in that bracket too.

The likes of Fielding, Ward, Robinson, Bryson and Hendrick might attract offers in excess of £1 million in the future but I am not convinced.

Oh god, that last sentence terrifies me.

"We don't really want to lose anybody but you know how it is in football. Sometimes it happens."

Sounds like he's trying to ease us into some bad news. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Yes you're right..

I just compare at a world market price and think you can get so much better for so much cheaper.. I mentiuoned before, but Marco Reus who is a worldclass attacking midfielder for Dortmund and a German regular cost all of $1mill.. It's embarrassing what English clubs pay for players.. Liverpool going after Sturridge for $12mill?! I mean, seriously, don't they learn?

But as an English market price $10mill is a good deal for Hughes.. But Derby shouldn't be particularly picky, around $6mill could work wonders for us.. But you're right.. The English market is crazy but Hughes isn't usually the sort of player they'd pay the big bucks for.. It's the same players they go over the top with, the attacking wingers or strikers with abit of flair.. Zaha, Walcott, Oxlaide, Downing, Sturridge, SWP etc.

Totally agree re Sturridge - a very ordinary player & a foul attitude to boot. I'm not sure why managers feel that buying English has to be at a premium - but as they do, I hope Derby make the very most of that perceived advantage. Like you say, when you have a choice of say, Reus for £1m or Matt Jarvis for £12m, it just serves to highlight how totally ridiculous some "values" are.

Re the point about pacey, attacking players commanding a premium - yes they do & probably always will in this country (witness the excitement when we had Giles Barnes at the peak of his powers...) but there definitely does seem to be a shift in attitude - I doubt people would have appreciated players like Leon Britton as much 15 years ago & also, the national admiration for the Pirlo masterclass handed out to England in the summer. I think Prem bosses will be increasingly on the search for players like that, who can dictate a game - all the more so if that player is English & like Hughes, very young with plenty of time to develop.

Yes you're right..

I just compare at a world market price and think you can get so much better for so much cheaper.. I mentiuoned before, but Marco Reus who is a worldclass attacking midfielder for Dortmund and a German regular cost all of $1mill.. It's embarrassing what English clubs pay for players.. Liverpool going after Sturridge for $12mill?! I mean, seriously, don't they learn?

But as an English market price $10mill is a good deal for Hughes.. But Derby shouldn't be particularly picky, around $6mill could work wonders for us.. But you're right.. The English market is crazy but Hughes isn't usually the sort of player they'd pay the big bucks for.. It's the same players they go over the top with, the attacking wingers or strikers with abit of flair.. Zaha, Walcott, Oxlaide, Downing, Sturridge, SWP etc.

That's a little disingenuous as Dortmund paid E17,1m for him, his previous club may well have paid E1m

I agree with the earlier poster, whilst Hughes may be saleable at 12m, or at least in the future, you have to consider what you could do with a lesser amount. If we accepted 7m for him now, we could buy in a lot of decent quality immediately, and push for promotion. The alternative is we hang on to him, and get better money in the future. Is getting another 5m in 2 years worth another two seasons in the championship? I don't think so. (And yes, I do realise that if we sell him and buy two or three quality additions with the proceeds, we are not gauranteed to be promoted - but I believe our chances would be enhanced).

I would say the following Hughes £7m, Brayford £1.5m, Bryson £1m, Keogh £1m, Ward £750k, Theo 750k,Sammon £750k, Hendrick £500k, Coutts £500k, Fielding £500k, Jacobs £400k, Ledgzins £300k, O'Brien £250k, Buxton £100k, Bavies £100k, Tyson £100k, Bailey £100k, Freeman £100k, Ball £100k. Bennett is difficult to value. As it stands the rest would just be a free signing at the end of their contracts.

I would have to agree. Anything £6m or above up front I would take, especially if we can agree a deal with two weeks notice so we can bid for players without clubs knowing we have a pile of cash.

LOWER LOWER...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/organgrinder/PlayYourCardsRight440

As this is a fantasy thread I’d personally like to change the present owners, investors, board, and tea ladies for those who believe the more ‘sensible’ option would be to keep Hughes, bring in a decent striker and a left back (two positions you can’t seem to fill on the cheap), support the present academy and let Clough hustle and work hard for the rest.

Of course the problem with all these figures is what would happen to the money.

With the 'we're over the wage budget' quotes, selling any player could easily mean that the cash generated was merely used to make up the losses sustained during the year. Selling Hughes for £7m and buying three quality players to cement our place as promotion contenders would be pretty good from a fan's perspective. Selling Hughes and replacing him with a £100k player form Scotland (who would probably be pretty good given Nigel's track record but would not improve the team significantly) would keep us in mid-tale and just be irritating.

LOWER LOWER...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/organgrinder/PlayYourCardsRight440

As this is a fantasy thread I’d personally like to change the present owners, investors, board, and tea ladies for those who believe the more ‘sensible’ option would be to keep Hughes, bring in a decent striker and a left back (two positions you can’t seem to fill on the cheap), support the present academy and let Clough hustle and work hard for the rest.

Obviously this would be preferable, our lack of a quality centre forward is the major stumbling block to our progress.

I think what ever happens it will be reasonable and we have to trust they are doing it for the best of the football club. The fees will all be undisclosed which is good in my opinion so team don't know about our dollar.

However I am so worried we will sell Hughes and if we do sell we won't see the money. Lets just hope.

Personally I am looking at it positively the Hughes dilemma is a good thing either way for the football club.

No one can say having Hughes come through the academy is bad.

That's a little disingenuous as Dortmund paid E17,1m for him, his previous club may well have paid E1m

Yes but he was bought only 2 years prior to that for $1mill..

It's the same with any top player.. They go cheap to a middle/semi big club, and then a giant one swoops in.. Like the Moses deal.. Palace-Wigan-Chelsea.. Or Valencia going from Villareal reserves-Wigan-Man Utd..

It's not that often the biggest clubs take games on youngsters unless it's Arsenal.. Usually they go through the pipeline first.. a Spurs, Villa, Fulham, Everton or Wigan and then onto the big club..

Either way with Will Hughes it wouldn't suprise me to see someone like Fulham get him, and then if he really does make it like Carrick for example get signed for a huge sum later in his career..

I think someone needs to ask, that if we was to sell Hughes for big bucks, would all of that money be put back into the team, or would it be used to settle any off-field debts? It's worrying, because normally somebod has already said by now what will happen with the money!

Lets face it, the PL is where 98% of fans want to be. I just hope the board are one of them 98%, not the other 2.

I think someone needs to ask, that if we was to sell Hughes for big bucks, would all of that money be put back into the team, or would it be used to settle any off-field debts? It's worrying, because normally somebod has already said by now what will happen with the money!

Lets face it, the PL is where %98 of fans want to be. I just hope the board are one of them %98, not the other 2.

I have no doubt that the owners' intentions is to back-pocket most, if not all, of it. NIgel, on the other hand, will want to invest it all back in the team and I think it will be interesting to see who gets their way. We'll get to see how much say Nigel has in things if the situation arises.

Get real guys, these are extremely average championship footballers, the only one who would command a fee of more than a mill is Hughes, and that's for the potential.

I'd be surprised if any of the others are even on the radar of upper championship clubs.

Archived