An offer we can't refuse

you-rams

You need to think pal, long and hard based on that post.

O'Brien is a 6ft tall, slow centre half with limited ability on the ball. He'll be an average championship defender at the very peak of his career. What's he achieved? Been part of a mid table Championship side for a couple of season. Who's really gunna pay more than 500k for him. What top attributes has he got that would really interest a decent side?

I can compare Theo and Brayford quite easily, watch this, Brayford is better at full back than Theo is as a striker. Theo is a poor, poor footballer, you really think he's worth more than a million? You would be happy if we paid over a million for Theo Robinson? Your argument loses all creditability as you obviously havent seen him play then. He scores a few goals, but his general play is a hindrance to the side in several different ways. For 250k he was a good signing as he does a job, any club that signs him for more than £500k hasnt scouted him properly.

Agree with bits of this, but how can you draw the conclusion that, at 20, O'Brien is at the peak of his career?

He's good in the air and puts it in where it hurts. He's extremely raw, much more so than Hughes, but he has to potential to be a very good defender. Who knows whether he'll fulfil that potential, but it's a bit quick to write him off.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meant this thread to be about an offer that we can't refuse. Not what the players a worth. Thats why the majority of my stated fees are double if not triple what they are actually worth.

What a player is worth comes down to two things - what a club is prepared to pay and what the selling club is prepared to take. I don't disagree with the sentiments of the thread at all. Thus far, Clough has been able to unearth some remarkable bargains - usually following some guffaws from the supporters of the 'big' club down the road, and I'm 100% confident that whichever player is sold, either this month or in the summer, Nigel Clough will be able to make the club stronger overall with what he subsequently spends.

Agree with bits of this, but how can you draw the conclusion that, at 20, O'Brien is at the peak of his career?

He's good in the air and puts it in where it hurts. He's extremely raw, much more so than Hughes, but he has to potential to be a very good defender. Who knows whether he'll fulfil that potential, but it's a bit quick to write him off.

You could be right, but i look at him and think, what attributes has he got to be a top Championship or Premier League centre half? He's not a ball player, his ability in that respect is average. He hasnt got the pace or height that you associate with a top centre half so although he's no slouch in the air, the majority of top defenders have stronger physical attributes.

Not saying he's a bad player, but i havent seen anything from him to suggest he'll be much more than a mid table Championship centre half.

I completely agree.

O'Brien basically missed an entire year following injury, and this was after making a very bright start to his career at Derby. He is only just inching his way back to full fitness and has been thrust back into the first team following the injury to Jake Buxton, yet people are writing him off. Absolutely incredible.

You could be right, but i look at him and think, what attributes has he got to be a top Championship or Premier League centre half? He's not a ball player, his ability in that respect is average. He hasnt got the pace or height that you associate with a top centre half so although he's no slouch in the air, the majority of top defenders have stronger physical attributes.

Not saying he's a bad player, but i havent seen anything from him to suggest he'll be much more than a mid table Championship centre half.

Who do you think is a better defender out of O'Brien, O'Connor and Jake?

Worth 500 Thousand?? what a 20 year old who is a decent Defender as you stated. Do you really think he is slower than Keogh?

he is raw but has a lot of attributes.

IMO he is a decent young defender and we will not be selling him for 500K.

as for your comment about have I seen him... I watch Derby home and away so I guess I've watched him. I have also seen that he does the simple things well. He distributes the ball to feet all the time granted not worldie passing but a decent pass to feet.

As for the Theo and Bray discussion you cannot say that they are comparable.

I mean your looking at a defender and a striker. Do you not think his first touches are better this season than ever.

The reason he is not getting in the team IMO is that he has an attitude problem. I would want more for him as he is a proven scorer. We brought him for 250K he is worth over a million by now. In recent games where he has played he has been thinking quicker, releasing quick balls and having a BETTER FIRST TOUCH. (Not the best first touch but is improving)

Sammon wins the ball and keeps it Theo taps them in not a bad partnership IMO. he may well go in Jan but IMO for more than 1 million especially if West Brom are involved as romour mills have it.

Mark Obrien is worth 1 million surely.

He hasnt got the pace or height that you associate with a top centre half so although he's no slouch in the air, the majority of top defenders have stronger physical attributes.

At 20 years old i hardly think he is gonna be at his strongest or quickest. He is still one for the future. In 2 years time after consistent training and playing in the championship i think he will develop:

A better leap to jump and win headers which is a good standard already

His tackling will improve which is a good at the moment as well.

He will get alot quicker without injuries.

And his strength will increase naturally.

I still think he could keep his place for the rest of season without injury. He is a below par championship centre back at the moment yes but he could become as good as someone like barker or Keogh or Shackell who all went for over 1 million pounds.

Archived