Very little mention of our goals this season recently BUT...

cheron85

What does everyone make of this quote from Nigel?

"We know that if we are to get where we want to be this season our away form has to improve, so this was a huge result."

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20650298]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20650298

We're 10th and 3 points off the playoffs and from the quote above methinks Nigel is aiming a little higher than we currently are...

I also have to admit that I predicted us 10th in pre-season...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is confirmation, if any was needed, that Nigel is not just comfortable in his job, but has aims and aspirations for himself and Derby County Football Club.

He is steadily building a solid team base and obviously seeks to make this season one in which he makes a serious attack on a top 6 finish.

More power to your elbow Nigel.

May the wind be always at your back!

Clough's aim has always (both here and when he was at Burton) to improve on the previous year - I'm sure he'd love to have a shed load of dosh to make that happen more quickly, but he's realistic enough to understand that that isn't likely to happen under the current ownership - quite why this approach is seen by some of our fans as a lack of ambition on Clough's part is baffling....

You're just being pessimistic... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

I disagree... I think YOU'RE being pessimistic... Aim should be in every game that we humiliate the opposition so much that they all decide to retire and each club gives us £1m just for the priviledge of having watched us AND they all retire the number 5 shirt after Bucko puts in tackles so hard all 4 corner flags splinter...

Does Young Big 'ead actually have to say we want to be promoted in every interview for him to have that ambition?

The proffesionalism and importance we put on every game...what's it all for? We may disagree on how good a manager Clough is but I don't think he walks about town with a spring in his step about the fact Derby County is a mid-table club.

I like what Clough is doing in interviews. Managers very rarely have anything interesting to say anyway, and his attitude of saying inane, standard things in his interviews ensures that the talking he does in the dressing room is what really counts.

The only time I really want to hear what the manager has to say is after a good thrashing or a game with a controversial decision - but even then, managers don't always reveal what they're really thinking.

I took heart from it. Was an important win on Sat and I think he knew it. One swallow doesn't make a summer but I'm strangely positive for once.

big bonus O'brien playing saturday hopefully that will tighten the defence, will be interesting after Xmas where we are with the 2 away games coming up, hopefully if were sitting around playoff's board might be tempted to bring a couple new player's in to make a serious push for promotion. Having said that I still think couple of young player's still to come through this season and Ward still to return might make the difference between midtable and that serious push for playoff's.

I don't care much for Nigel talking about the top 6 being 'where we want to be this season'. Common sense tells you the very nature of this division means that 23 other teams will have the exact same target and they don't have to shout it from the rooftops.

Look at how much grief Glick and his predecessors shouldered for speaking publicly and trying to convince supporters of our ambitions. Global brand anyone?

Don't say anything, don't temper expectation. I was happy thinking we'd finish 16th and being more than pleasantly surprised when we didn't. Now Nigel has got his foghorn out and stated top 6 is the aim, I'll be fuming if we finish 7th on goal difference. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I see Mason Bennett scored twice today against Sheffield Wednesday, well done lad!

Can anyone else see him becoming a first team striker after Christmas?

He gets goals. But Clough wants work rate. So when we see Bennett introduced this season he will be in tip top shape. Which is great.

I see Mason Bennett scored twice today against Sheffield Wednesday, well done lad!

Can anyone else see him becoming a first team striker after Christmas?

Hope not. He's too young.

Let him have another season with a few subs appearances and perhaps a couple of starts once promotion is secured.

Archived