Very little mention of our goals this season recently BUT...

cheron85

I see Mason Bennett scored twice today against Sheffield Wednesday, well done lad!

Can anyone else see him becoming a first team striker after Christmas?

I hope so, I had a bet with my mate that he'd score half a dozen first team goals this season back in August. Loser has to buy winner flights to Portugal in may!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I though you meant our actual goals scored not the figurative goals in term of where we want to be at first.

On that note though i thought id mention do you guys think our goals have been of better quality this season??

Besides Tyson and Hughes' goals from outside the box maybe bavies most of our goals have been well worked on the floor passing.

Last season Steve Davies must have scored at least 1/3 of his goals from aerial crosses. This season i bet most didnt know our top assists this season Paul Coutts. Every single assist has been along the floor.

Clough coy about Derby chances

Nigel Clough is adamant his side are "very dark horses" for a top-six finish in this season's Championship.

Although Derby are only four points adrift of the play-off places as the campaign approaches its halfway point, Clough is being realistic rather than downbeat.

The Rams boss insists his players have given their all to be in their current position of 10th and knocking on the door of the top six.

Ahead of Friday night's visit to Pride Park of one of the many promotion contenders in Hull, Clough's aim is simply to stay in the top half of the table.

"Although there are a lot of teams in there, we want to be in there, in that chasing pack," said Clough, speaking to the Derby Telegraph. "When you are in that top half, you know you are not going to be far off the play-offs, but we also know life in the Championship can be pretty fragile.

"You can go from winning a couple of games to losing two or three on the spin, and suddenly you are back down in 16th or 17th.

"Our aim remains as it was at the start of the season - to be a top-half team and see where that takes us. It is progress to get into that group and not far from the top six."

So asked whether Derby are dark horses for the play-offs, he replied: "Very dark horses - there's a long way to go."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/8345699/Clough-coy-about-Derby-chances

Lowering the expectations on the players perhaps?

I think it's a nice answer to those people who still say we have no ambition...

Nigel Clough is adamant his side are "very dark horses" for a top-six finish in this season's Championship.

Nice answer indeed... Lack of ambition is definitely Clough's biggest problem.

The bloke's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he came out and said "yeah we're a good bet for the play offs" and it never worked out, he'd get slaughtered so he's just hedging his bets.

Let his team do the talking, action speaks louder than words.

COYR.

You are talking about arrogance and I agree, that's not want I to see. But ambition, yes please.

You are talking about arrogance and I agree, that's not want I to see. But ambition, yes please.

How the hell is keeping a lid on things 'lack of ambition'?

What is he supposed to say? Where is the line between 'We are very dark horses' and 'OMGWTF, we will kick everyone's asses LOL' that would keep you happy?

It's not only this interview what makes me think that way. Playing down chances winning "big" teams (like there is one in Championship..) and to be happy with draws... If he would back his team to win games, that would make me happy. Shouldn't be too much to ask.

It's not only this interview what makes me think that way. Playing down chances winning "big" teams (like there is one in Championship..) and to be happy with draws... If he would back his team to win games, that would make me happy. Shouldn't be too much to ask.

What is said in public and what is said in private are two very different things. It's called managing expectation.

Archived