Is our away form down to mental differences or bad tactics?

ChaddesdenRam

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest most teams can and have hurt us these season, we just seem to play with a 'we'll score more than you' attitude at home and it pays off more often than it hasn't. Bristol seem bound to score at least 1 against us so why not attack straight from the off?

But I'd settle for a 0-0 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

We started 4-4-2 vs lesta and that didnt help us, it was only when we went to 4-5-1 we started to take the game to them.

I think formations and tactics are over thought, players should be able to work out where we are getting the better of a team and try and exploit that as much as possible

We started 4-4-2 vs lesta and that didnt help us, it was only when we went to 4-5-1 we started to take the game to them.

I think formations and tactics are over thought, players should be able to work out where we are getting the better of a team and try and exploit that as much as possible

thats because we played leicester, completely different team to bristol city, give the fish a striking partner and we have won this game

thats because we played leicester, completely different team to bristol city, give the fish a striking partner and we have won this game

I know, the OP said if we started more away games 4-4-2 we would do better, I was just pointing out that isn't exactly true.

How many times have we actually played 4-5-1? Not too many I don't think. In response to your question, I think it's a bit of both.

It always frustrates me when managers talk as if away games require something totally different, saying things like "away from home, we take the point" "it's really good to grab a goal like that a place like this." Of course away games are more difficult as the opposition tends to play better, but some manager's rhetoric makes it sound like an away match at Portman Road on a Tuesday night is an insummountable challenge.

There are more guilty managers out there but Clough isn't innocent. He's always said we like to play 2 up front at home, and away "when we can". Unless the object is not to win all the time away from home, why can't we always?

That said, I don't see 4-4-2 as a formation which automatically creates positive play, nor 4-5-1 one that creates negative play. Ultimately, it's all down to how much Coutts and Hughes see of the ball.

Completely agree with Duracell why home advantage is seen as so important in the championship is beyond me. At the majority of grounds the away support is better than the home. The only other differences are a coach trip and an element of familiarity to the ground.

It's all physiological. I suspect are poor away form is a side effect of having such a young team.

I think its down to youth, inexperience and resultant mental fragility more than tactics.

That will come though. Having played our last three away against teams who were flying, we now have three away games against more modest opposition. Another chance to step it up and show we're learning.

Don't think it's got owt to do with formation.

We look like we lack belief and that we would settle for draw. We take very few risks.

We end up looking like a team stuck in 2nd gear where everybody is nervous.

We could play 442,451 or 424 but when we perform at 70% it doesn't matter. It falls at Nigel's feet for me, I don't blame him for everything that's wrong with the club but our away form is a 'keep it tight' sort of tactic. It sounds fair enough but it hasn't worked for him. We sell ourselves short by not having a real good go often enough. We keep it tight and that's all the invitation a home team needs. They start getting in, we get rattled, mistakes get made and we found ourselves down. Then you can't suddenly switch it on.

Who knows how to get the right balance? That's what managers are managers for. They figure out the 'how'. But as for the 'why'...... I think Derby at Millwall were only 60-70% effective as we are at home.

We show too much respect and end up with a lack of shots never mind goals and wins.

Archived