MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon

EastKentRam

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me who thinks AFC fans should go, sell out their allocation and possibly more, and outsing the Dons fans all game? The guy in the article talks about AFC being the soul of Wimbledon, what a better way to prove that than to do that?

I appreciate the talk of legitimising the franchise, but surely to turn up and be a brilliant away section would spur AFC on to the victory that we all (or most of us) want to see?

Is it just me who thinks AFC fans should go, sell out their allocation and possibly more, and outsing the Dons fans all game? The guy in the article talks about AFC being the soul of Wimbledon, what a better way to prove that than to do that?

I appreciate the talk of legitimising the franchise, but surely to turn up and be a brilliant away section would spur AFC on to the victory that we all (or most of us) want to see?

Completely agree! It's like I already said imagine being an AFC player an seeing an empty away end.

If Derby County ever up sticks and play under a convoluted name a mile from where I live I can't imagine my bothering to go and see, much less support, them.

The re-invented Derby County playing at Oldbury in the west Midlands under a name like "Oldbury Rams" which just happened to be supported financially by some of the sponsors of the team which previously played at Pride Park Derby could not claim a heritage including the highs and lows of DCFC a founder member of the football league. Nor, for that matter could a team like Borrowash Victoria who took over the ground said to be a successor to the baseball ground.

Then in years to come would we go to watch Borrowash Victoria play the Oldbury Rams? Would we heck as like!

Sounds far fetched? just ask real Dons supporters.

I don't think any of us can really appreciate the depth of feeling of the old Wimbledon fans. If the club refused to play this one game then said "that's it, we've made our point " and then went on to draw a line under it and promised to play next time they met MK (in cup or league), they could have closure (what a pisspoor american term), and concentrate on their future.

I'm a bit shocked that so many on here have no problem with the concept of Franchise FC & how it all happened.

Basically, an FA appointed panel decided that a small (& very successful) club didnt deserve to stay within its immediate locality & should be moved away from its core fanbase to an entirely different area. Even worse, this panel recommended that the shocked Wimbledon fans should not bother forming a phoenix club - as it "wouldnt be in the wider interests of football"

We're all Derby fans - we buy into the clubs history, the fact that the club is identifiable with the city of Derby & turn up to support "our" team. Now imagine a group of people with nothing to do with the club, deciding that the club's league place would be better served in another part of the country. Imagine how that would make you feel.

I'm not surprised AFC Wimbledon fans have an issue with going to a place to which their league place was stolen - how could they face putting money into Winkleman's pocket ? How could they face those grinning Franchise idiots rubbing their theft in their faces? This isn't "rivalry" or a "grudge match" - its way more than that.

Franchise FC is a disgrace to English football. People are entitled to their opinions of course but I don't understand how anyone who truly understands English football with its emphasis on tradition, local identity & history can stomach a vile creation like "MK Dons". And like a couple of other posters here have said, I hate them more than any other club in England.

We got one in Wales like the mk dons, called "The New Saints"

And to make it worse, they are now playing out of England.

I don't have half as much a problem with TNS as the MK Dons. TNS is just a case of sponsorship-gone-mad rather than a club being stolen from their fans.

It's actually worse.

Llansantffraed were a Welsh Premier side, when they were bought.

They then had their name changed to "Total Network Solutions" then were cast aside, when they took over Oswestry, who were also cast aside, and then had another name change to "The New Saints".

Both clubs have restarted, and have had to start at the bottom of the Welsh Pyramid again, While TNS get play in the Champions League.

Sound fair?.

It's actually worse.

Llansantffraed were a Welsh Premier side, when they were bought.

They then had their name changed to "Total Network Solutions" then were cast aside, when they took over Oswestry, who were also cast aside, and then had another name change to "The New Saints".

Both clubs have restarted, and have had to start at the bottom of the Welsh Pyramid again, While TNS get play in the Champions League.

Sound fair?.

Is that what happened? I was purely going by Wikipedia ( 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' />) which says

* The club was never bought by TNS just sponsorship that involved changing the club name (quite normal in football).

* They merged with financially troubled Oswestry Town (quite normal in football).

* TNS were bought by BT and they didn't renew the sponsorship so the club changed their name again (quite normal in football) and settled on The New Saints.

Is this wrong then? How was anyone "cast aside"? I certainly don't see anything wrong in the above.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit shocked that so many on here have no problem with the concept of Franchise FC & how it all happened.

Basically, an FA appointed panel decided that a small (& very successful) club didnt deserve to stay within its immediate locality & should be moved away from its core fanbase to an entirely different area. Even worse, this panel recommended that the shocked Wimbledon fans should not bother forming a phoenix club - as it "wouldnt be in the wider interests of football"

We're all Derby fans - we buy into the clubs history, the fact that the club is identifiable with the city of Derby & turn up to support "our" team. Now imagine a group of people with nothing to do with the club, deciding that the club's league place would be better served in another part of the country. Imagine how that would make you feel.

I'm not surprised AFC Wimbledon fans have an issue with going to a place to which their league place was stolen - how could they face putting money into Winkleman's pocket ? How could they face those grinning Franchise idiots rubbing their theft in their faces? This isn't "rivalry" or a "grudge match" - its way more than that.

Franchise FC is a disgrace to English football. People are entitled to their opinions of course but I don't understand how anyone who truly understands English football with its emphasis on tradition, local identity & history can stomach a vile creation like "MK Dons". And like a couple of other posters here have said, I hate them more than any other club in England.

Fantastic point.

I cannot stand MK Dons, disgusting club. We've never had to play them so never really come up but I actually cannot stand the club, they represent **** all but destroying a successful clubs identity and history. The fact they're not chastised by the greater football community for what they are also annoys me, but it's because a lot of people don't really care/understand I imagine.

Fantastic point.

I cannot stand MK Dons, disgusting club. We've never had to play them so never really come up but I actually cannot stand the club, they represent **** all but destroying a successful clubs identity and history. The fact they're not chastised by the greater football community for what they are also annoys me, but it's because a lot of people don't really care/understand I imagine.

You look on a MK Dons message board and their fans are so thick, they dont even realise what they've done wrong. They're like an old person with dementia, convinced in their own minds that they're right and justified whilst every outsider can see that they're wrong.

You look on a MK Dons message board and their fans are so thick, they dont even realise what they've done wrong. They're like an old person with dementia, convinced in their own minds that they're right and justified whilst every outsider can see that they're wrong.

or maybe they're from milton Keynes

The fact they're not chastised by the greater football community for what they are also annoys me, but it's because a lot of people don't really care/understand I imagine.

Think thats a symptom of the country's obsession with the Premiership & almost total disregard for anything affecting clubs below that. The media should have hammered Franchise at the time (although the original FA Panel's decision was conveniently announced in the middle of the 2002 World Cup) & since but they're more concerned with nonsense like what Harry Redknapp is banging on about/who's not shaking hands with who this week.

Hopefully today's match will have educated people as to what happened - I hope it hasn't legitimised Franchise in anyway though now that they have finally played AFC Wimbledon.

I ventured on myself a few weeks back & some of them had taglines like "Franchise & Proud" etc. The general consensus I picked up was that they see the hatred they attract as some sort badge of honour - almost like a Millwall or Leeds fan would crave. They just don't get it.

Archived