MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon

EastKentRam

The MK Dons chairman is a breath of fresh air in what he has done for the club. I am sure that they will prosper far better in MK than they would have done in Wimbledon where they had to exist on very low gates even in the First Division.

You obviously have no respect or understanding for the heritage and tradition of football clubs and the league system as a whole. Or an understanding of the passion and love as to what football teams mean to communities and supporters.

Do you really think Winkleman done what he did at Wimbledon to help them out? He had tried relocating QPR, Luton and other teams before the dream situation arose for him to take advantage of.

Luckily he didnt take over and relocate us, you would have probably been chuffed to bits supporting the Milton Keynes Ram based on what you're saying here.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno, you know. If I supported Wimbledon, I'd 100% be going to that game.

If AFC win, it will be history, and sweet history for them. For AFC fans it will be an 'I was there' moment if they knock MK out the cup.

Hope they do it, for the sake of football.

You obviously have no respect or understanding for the heritage and tradition of football clubs and the league system as a whole. Or an understanding of the passion and love as to what football teams mean to communities and supporters.

Do you really think Winkleman done what he did at Wimbledon to help them out? He had tried relocating QPR, Luton and other teams before the dream situation arose for him to take advantage of.

Luckily he didnt take over and relocate us, you would have probably been chuffed to bits supporting the Milton Keynes Ram based on what you're saying here.

Hmmmm the passion and love that the local community had for Wimbledon gave them average 7K gates while in the Borough and the local council putting blocks up every which way.

The administrators were going to cut Wimbledon off without Pete Winkelmans intervention so they were finished anyway - so yes, I guess he did help them out. It is silly to say he tried to relocate other sides. All he did was offer the site and potential stadium (which as you know was eventually selected for the World Cup bid) to Luton and QPR (and Charlton as well).

Why would he have wanted to relocate Derby, there is already a tradition and fan base here, no need to look for one elsewhere!!!! Not the case with Wimbledon.

It would be a very brave thing to do as it would incur the wrath of the FA, possibly leading to a ban, maybe even League punishment, but AFC should decline to play the match.

I am not sure that brave is the right word there. AFC as new members of the league would be extremely stupid I should think to do as you envisage. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

Hmmmm the passion and love that the local community had for Wimbledon gave them average 7K gates while in the Borough and the local council putting blocks up every which way.

The administrators were going to cut Wimbledon off without Pete Winkelmans intervention so they were finished anyway - so yes, I guess he did help them out. It is silly to say he tried to relocate other sides. All he did was offer the site and potential stadium (which as you know was eventually selected for the World Cup bid) to Luton and QPR (and Charlton as well).

Why would he have wanted to relocate Derby, there is already a tradition and fan base here, no need to look for one elsewhere!!!! Not the case with Wimbledon.

Doesnt matter if they were averaging 500 fans a game or 50,000, the football club was still part of a community and meant a great deal to a lot of people.

How is it silly to say he tried to relocate other clubs? That's exactly what he was doing, what else can that mean? He encouraged teams to relocate so he had a ready made football league team to make him money.

You dont think he would have tried to relocate Derby given the chance? All he wanted was any football league to move to Milton Keynes.

Anyone that approve of or support MK Dons isnt a real fan of English football.

I am not sure that brave is the right word there. AFC as new members of the league would be extremely stupid I should think to do as you envisage. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

Yep it would be foolish regarding possible punishments yet it would be a moral stance that would enshrine the AFC in history. A very polite letter to the FA and MK explaining that they cannot recognise MK as a valid club due to the circumstances and feel it would be better for all concerned for MK to take the tie as a walkover.

Wunt happen of course, but if I were a AFC fan that's what I'd want my club to do.

What about the 7 year old child from Milton Keynes who is supporting their local team, and who weren't around when all this happened?

They're the exception of course.

But if they have a parent or close relative who understood what was happening then they have failed as a guardian.

They're the exception of course.

But if they have a parent or close relative who understood what was happening then they have failed as a guardian.

For the parents in Milton Keynes who want to take their children to a football match, they have the choice of going to Luton Town, Northampton Town or Milton Keynes. The latter is on their door step and in a very comfortable state of the art stadium and also a very family friendly atmosphere.

AFC fans are boycotting it. An interesting read in the Independent yesterday

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/niall-couper-mk-dons-fa-cup-draw-is-real-fans-worst-nightmare-8317169.html

[size=3]The moment it happened my stomach turned over. It was nothing short of horrible. The match had been close before. AFC Wimbledon were drawn against Franchise, as real Dons fans call that bunch from Buckinghamshire, in the FA Cup in 2010. Then, as now, both sides faced first-round replays. Thankfully back then Stevenage levelled against Franchise in the last minute before winning on penalties to make our tie the following night an irrelevance.[/size][size=3]

This time there was no reprieve. We spent most of Monday night's replay against York City desperately trying to lose. We all knew that it would take a minor miracle for Cambridge City to overcome that lot. I have been following Wimbledon since 1982, at nine I was a mascot against Hull City in the old Fourth Division, but here I was, half-praying for defeat. You could sense some players felt the same. Seb Brown, goalkeeper and life-long Wimbledon fan, even punched the ball into his own net. But however much we tried, we could not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It took the first 45 minutes the following night for our fate to be sealed – by then they were 3-0 up.

Now for those not connected with Wimbledon it could seem like the greatest game a Dons fan could ever want. AFC Wimbledon, the club created by the fans in response to the decision to allow Wimbledon FC to relocate to Milton Keynes, facing their nemesis. For the neutral this is all about revenge. But it is much more complicated than that.

This is not Liverpool and Everton or Arsenal and Tottenham – that is about geography. This is not Rangers and Celtic – that is about religion. Frankly, AFC Wimbledon against Franchise FC is more important than that. I suppose the best way to describe it is as a bitter, bitter divorce. They got the house and all the possessions and paraded it about in front of us. We got the soul.

Until Peter Winkelman, the chairman of Franchise FC, admits he stole a club, until Raj Parker and Steve Stride, who are believed to be the two members of the FA Panel who gave Wimbledon FC permission to relocate, admit they were wrong, and until the suffix "Dons" disappears, I can't forget the pain.

I'd quite like them to follow Pittsburgh's example and take the suffix "Steelers". In the meantime, every time I see a Franchise shirt or even hear their name, I shudder. Yes, it's irrational. But the past 10 years have also taught me something more fundamental. Football should be about fans. I have respect for those clubs rooted in their communities who care for their supporters, the Charltons and Brightons, and those clubs that have taken supporters' trusts to their hearts. Frankly that ain't Franchise FC.

So where will I be when the tie kicks off? I can't step foot in their stadium. For me that would serve to legitimise them. I hope to be at AFC Wimbledon's stadium in Kingsmeadow, surrounded by fans not just of the real Dons, but also supporters of clubs of all colours celebrating all that's good about football with a family fun day.[/size]

Archived