Derby County v Burnley

Boycie

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was replying to another poster who dismissed our poor result as being ok.The downwards

direction was based on dropping from 12th to 17th when he said it was the right direction.I've heard

the "work in progress"before somewhere-oh yes about ten times a year for the past 4 years,along

with the mythical "long term plan".

You might also consider that of our 7 games only 2 have been against teams currently in the

top half where we took 1 point.

How many points we take off top and half teams at this stage of the season doesn't interest me. At 3pm you can be 15th, at 4.50pm you can be 6th.

And to be honest, I'd have to agree with the thought that results aren't that important at this stage. Set yourself to play good stuff early in the season, even if you lose a few, and you'll likely have a decent season.

I think that's a good performance to take in to forest.

I was replying to another poster who dismissed our poor result as being ok.The downwards

direction was based on dropping from 12th to 17th when he said it was the right direction.I've heard

the "work in progress"before somewhere-oh yes about ten times a year for the past 4 years,along

with the mythical "long term plan".

You might also consider that of our 7 games only 2 have been against teams currently in the

top half where we took 1 point.

If you don't think it's a work in progress what do you think it is?

Do you agree that these are some of the best performances we've had under NC?

Do you think this style of football is the way forward?

Is this style of football not one you'd be willing to give time to perfect as it's very enjoyable to watch?

I'm all for it and I imagine alot of people are, if we can stop leaking the silly goals then we'll definitely improve on last years finish.

I reckon we'll score 4/5 goals in a game a few more times this season if we keep this playing style, thats what I want to see too.

If you don't think it's a work in progress what do you think it is?

Do you agree that these are some of the best performances we've had under NC?

Do you think this style of football is the way forward?

Is this style of football not one you'd be willing to give time to perfect as it's very enjoyable to watch?

I'm all for it and I imagine alot of people are, if we can stop leaking the silly goals then we'll definitely improve on last years finish.

I reckon we'll score 4/5 goals in a game a few more times this season if we keep this playing style, thats what I want to see too.

This is not some revolutionary brand of football we are playing, we are playing some nice stuff, but given that the last 4 years we have been starved of football played on the deck is nothing to shout about.

Football in only enjoyable to watch if you are competitive, most managers worth their can get a team to play the football we so, it's only an effective way if you win, we are not talking about the premier league, we are playing in the second tier and struggling to make an impact in it.

Silly goals? We have not kept a clean sheet all season, have let in 16 goals in 8 games, this indicates more than silly goals, more like a poor defence.

Let's not also forget that we have seen this brand of football under clough before, a style he ditched when results started to dip, had he continued with this style I wonder where we would be now.

This is not some revolutionary brand of football we are playing, we are playing some nice stuff, but given that the last 4 years we have been starved of football played on the deck is nothing to shout about.

Football in only enjoyable to watch if you are competitive, most managers worth their can get a team to play the football we so, it's only an effective way if you win, we are not talking about the premier league, we are playing in the second tier and struggling to make an impact in it.

Silly goals? We have not kept a clean sheet all season, have let in 16 goals in 8 games, this indicates more than silly goals, more like a poor defence.

Let's not also forget that we have seen this brand of football under clough before, a style he ditched when results started to dip, had he continued with this style I wonder where we would be now.

Never said it was revolutionary, just very good football. This brand of football was tried before with a team not good enough to play it, since then we've added players who can make this style of play effective. Not only that, we've got a team of players that can dig in, we aren't carrying players like we were that season we had the purple patch. I hope Nige sticks with it, bit of work on the defence and abit of shooting practice and we'll be fine.

It's the level of performance's thats standing out for me compared to any season under NC. We're only 7 games in so theres plenty of time for it to go tits but if we keep up this level of performance we'll improve on previous seasons. It's not all about winning for me, for the vast majority of the last decade i've seen our team not be competitive enough over a season, it's not a nice thing to be coming away from games saying "how did we not win that game?" but it certainly beats coming away disappointed at the lack of fight, togetherness, desire to win and most importantly, competitiveness with other teams at our level.

The goals we are giving away are silly goals in my opinion, our defence is solid for the most part. Our defence isn't being outplayed or penetrated with every attack like a poor defence would. It's abit of concentration from being a good defence. The only game where i've come away thinking we are very poor defensively is the Scunny game, which added into the equation makes the stats look alot worse then they are.

I was at the match on Saturday and was very disappointed we didn't win. We played some good stuff, but fell short in the second half, through lack of fitness and wasting good chances. The chances we did create (and there seemed to be loads) you would expect at least 1 or 2 to have gone in. Sammon was very wasteful and looked considerably unfit/not sharp enough. Considering he has played a handful of times in 18 months, this is understandble, However, I would have replaced him far sooner. Sammon IS what we need, although he won't be a 20 goal a season man. Other players like Ward, Bryson, Theo, Hendrick, Coutts need to do more to put the ball in the net. Ward and Bryson need to be sharper infront of goal and shoot rather than try walking the ball in. I don't think I could blame Ward for their first as the ball wasn't dropping quick enough for him to hoof it clear. Defenders were not quick enough to respond when it was played through to Austin. Frankie could have maybe reacted quicker and he certainly should have claimed the cross for their second. Keep doing what we're doing. Keep the faith with Sammon (he will come good) and perhaps give Frankie a kick up the backside (play Legzdins for a game or two) to get him going again. We're not a bad side at all really IMO. If performances can turn into wins then we would be hailed as being the best footballing side in the league.

Never said it was revolutionary, just very good football. This brand of football was tried before with a team not good enough to play it, since then we've added players who can make this style of play effective. Not only that, we've got a team of players that can dig in, we aren't carrying players like we were that season we had the purple patch. I hope Nige sticks with it, bit of work on the defence and abit of shooting practice and we'll be fine.

So what you are saying is that the the team that put us into the play offs during that period didnt have a team good enough to play that football, yet the team that we have now is ? 8 points from 7 games does tend to tell that story, its ok saying our defence doesnt look under pressure, but if teams are scoring from one ot two chances then it seem to me that maybe these players arent digging in as you put it.

As you say though, points may well start coming, but how long would you give it if this doesnt happen before you would say either the players/manager or both arent good enough ?

If Sammon had put away his chances then we'd of been in a very strong position.

He played well actually. But he cost us the game as much as Fielding, Ward or anyone.

If we're the better team, creating more chances I have no idea what more we can do except keep going.

What else is there?

So what you are saying is that the the team that put us into the play offs during that period didnt have a team good enough to play that football, yet the team that we have now is ? 8 points from 7 games does tend to tell that story, its ok saying our defence doesnt look under pressure, but if teams are scoring from one ot two chances then it seem to me that maybe these players arent digging in as you put it.

As you say though, points may well start coming, but how long would you give it if this doesnt happen before you would say either the players/manager or both arent good enough ?

Yeah i'm saying exactly that, just that I believe this team has the players and the ability to carry it over a whole season, not just a few games. That said team that put is in the play offs for 4 weeks then went on to win 3 games in 28 from the start of December to the end of the season. They weren't anywhere near good enough. I don't want to compete for 6 games, I want us to compete for 46.

It's no good judging a team over a purple patch, the same as there's not been enough time passed to judge this seasons team. The bigger picture needs looking at and we can't yet.

I'd give this current set up as long as it takes because I think we can make this style of play work for us. Thats just me, obviously there will be people expecting instant results as seen already that don't believe in what we have going which is fair enough. The points return isn't brilliant so far but it's not appalling either, from the 6 out of 7 league games I've witnessed so far we've been more than good enough overall.

If we jack this in and go back to hoofing and **** then it'll be time for a change as that'll show no progress at all.

Yeah i'm saying exactly that, just that I believe this team has the players and the ability to carry it over a whole season, not just a few games. That said team that put is in the play offs for 4 weeks then went on to win 3 games in 28 from the start of December to the end of the season. They weren't anywhere near good enough. I don't want to compete for 6 games, I want us to compete for 46.

It's no good judging a team over a purple patch, the same as there's not been enough time passed to judge this seasons team. The bigger picture needs looking at and we can't yet.

I'd give this current set up as long as it takes because I think we can make this style of play work for us. Thats just me, obviously there will be people expecting instant results as seen already that don't believe in what we have going which is fair enough. The points return isn't brilliant so far but it's not appalling either, from the 6 out of 7 league games I've witnessed so far we've been more than good enough overall.

If we jack this in and go back to hoofing and **** then it'll be time for a change as that'll show no progress at all.

OK, but I dont understand how you say the old team werent good enough over a season, yet this team you would be willing to give as much time as possible, surely if we dont get the results with this team, that would indicate that they arent good enough too ? If at Xmas we are still 17th with an average of one point per game, do you say thats ok ? yet you also say you want a team that can compete for 46 games not just 6 so isnt there a time when you say there is no progress ?

OK, but I dont understand how you say the old team werent good enough over a season, yet this team you would be willing to give as much time as possible, surely if we dont get the results with this team, that would indicate that they arent good enough too ? If at Xmas we are still 17th with an average of one point per game, do you say thats ok ? yet you also say you want a team that can compete for 46 games not just 6 so isnt there a time when you say there is no progress ?

Should of worded it better, "as much time as possible" could be anything. I think Xmas is a good time to assess how we're doing and if we are improving or not. Thats plenty of time to see if it's working out. Any time around then, just not now like some people seem to be doing. I wouldn't be happy if we are 17th with that average no, I don't think we will be though.

If we are struggling at that time then there definitely will be fingers to point and maybe changes to be had.

My opinions won't be proved right or wrong for a few months so it's a waiting game now. I honestly believe this squad has much more ability as a team to do better over 46 games than any team we've had under NC. Results aren't showing that yet, it's a very average start results wise. Performance wise they have been top notch, not rewarded enough with the points we have or haven't won.

Lucky thing I was sitting in East Stand otherwise I would have strangled Nigel after the match. What is it with him that he can't make the players play until final whistle ? This was now third or fourth time we mess up in the end. Season before last all over again.

Lucky thing I was sitting in East Stand otherwise I would have strangled Nigel after the match. What is it with him that he can't make the players play until final whistle ? This was now third or fourth time we mess up in the end. Season before last all over again.

How can you blame nigel for this? he did everything right to get a positive result, or are we going to be calling him 'too positive nigel' after chasing the wins when we already had a point.

I just don't think you can take Sammon off, when we have last couple of games it's killed us and we take off that link between midfield and attack.

It is manager's job to prepare the team properly to be able to keep the own goal clean the last minutes. Of course sometimes you let the other team score in the end but Nigel's team does it way too often for not this subject to be handled. Now.

You can still try to score in the end without conceding.

It is manager's job to prepare the team properly to be able to keep the own goal clean the last minutes. Of course sometimes you let the other team score in the end but Nigel's team does it way too often for not this subject to be handled. Now.

You can still try to score in the end without conceding.

Equally once the players cross the white line there is very little a manager can do, they too have to make sure they are totally switched on until the final whistle.

Equally once the players cross the white line there is very little a manager can do, they too have to make sure they are totally switched on until the final whistle.

The players are responsible of course but one of manager's tasks is to get the team mentally ready to last the whole game and this can be done before going to the field. It isn't working now and has been a big problem before. Should be dealt with if the team wants to be in anywhere near top 6.

Archived