Goals At Home But Not Away

AndyB

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't read too much into it just yet. We could have scored 4 at Wolves on another day. The only away game thats worried me a little was saturday at Hudds down to the fact we created nothing. If the difference is still big in a couple of months then maybe it'll need addressing more.

We have scored 12 in 3 home games and 1 in 3 away games. It could be argued that we have played better teams in our away games but surely not 11 goals better? We even pick largely the same players and formation. So why the difference?

I think Bris is trying to be naughty!

If you look at the table, the other high home scorers [blackpool and Bristol City] have scored 3 and 2 respectively away from home so it's not just a Rams thing. Best not to look at the tables for another month anyway. Early results tend to give false readings, although our present position looks about right.

10 goals in 3 home games though - anyone choking yet 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

• 1 month later...

We've now scored 23 in 9 home games and 7 in 9 away games. Why are we not able to score more goals away from home? Is it our approach that's different, the opposition's, or both?

I think there's an element of 'safety first' in our play but statistically, every away team usually has fewer shots than the home team. With our hotshot strike force of Sammon and Theo, this poses problems. This is where teams with natural goalscorers like Sharp and Mckail-Smith come into their own. You need a good conversion rate on your chances. I think at over £1M Sammon is now looking expensive for a striker who doesn't strike.

Too early yet. Didn't create a great deal at Bolton and Hudd. Could of had 3/4 v Wolves. Got to wait a little while to see and patterns emerging. To see WHY we arent creating on a regular basis.

Under Billy Davies we were very good away. We were rather unspectacular, sat back, were well organised and nicked the odd goal. We had the immobile Moore at CB, the routinely average Connolly at RB and the hapless Mo Camara at LB. This was one of the meanest defences in the league. We had players like Fagan and Teale on the flanks, they weren't special. We had a £1M carthorse upfront who did wonders. He held the ball up well and scored quite a few goals. Over Nigel's 4 years we've been very poor away. I'm beginning to question the manager's ability to manage the players he has assembled. Roberts has proven to be reliable, Brayford is a top RB, Buxton is no more limited than Moore, Keogh is a £1M+ defender and we have 2 decent goalkeepers. Not to mention a fit Barker who is a class act for this league IMO. My only concern is that with £1M on a striker, we have Sammon and he isn't half as effective as a Howard. I don't think its too early to tell, we've had 4 years of something not working, the only thing that has changed is the players, I don't know what this is but worringly it appears Nigel doesn't either. This slowness to react in using substitutes is getting beyond a joke. The sitting back when Nigel's teams have been very suspect defensively over his tenure is frustrating.

I said this on the Palace match thread, but I believe that the difference between a good season and a great season for us is the amount of goals we score away from home. While our home form is not as imperious as Cardiff's, it's good enough to keep us rooted in midtable. We play with confidence and are able to dismantle our opponents, e.g. Watford, Blackpool and Charlton (the latter admittedly should have been more comfortable in the end). We won't win every game but I reckon we'll win at least half of our home games, and if we keep home defeats to a minimum (certainly no more than 3 or 4) we will be fine.

Our away defensive record is actually not too bad, I know we were poor against Peterborough and Palace, but ignore those results and it's 9 goals conceded in 7 away games which is actually alright. If we tighten up a little bit more and not drop our concentration we can avoid more results like Saturday. But 7 goals in 9 away games is really not good. Times like Saturday we had enough counterattacks and chances to put the ball into the box but either no one was there or we gave the ball away (cough Conor Sammon cough). We've shown we can play well away from home (Wolves) but if we score more goals away, we'll get more points, and I feel that the difference between finishing 12th and finishing 5th or 6th is being able to pick up results away from home (I am, of course, talking hypothetically here).

Palace, for example, a couple of seasons ago couldn't win away to save their lives, now they've got the best away record in the league. It's not impossible to achieve.

Archived