Goals At Home But Not Away

AndyB

Like EKR said, at Wolves I thought we'd changed our approach.

Coutts pushed right up so when Brayford overlapped he was in a full on RW position

Ward had a free role.

Bryson got forward lots.

Sammon played well

O'Connor and Keogh distributed wonderfully.

We played passing football and bodies got forward and close to Sammon. We went 1-0 down and STILL we carried on. We got to the 80th minute and STILL we carried on. We score. Coppell stays behind to compliment Nigel. Nigel says we will continue to play like that.

We haven't. Sammon has often been poor. Ward is injured and the amount of hoofing v Millwall and Palace!!

If we aren't careful the football will slip away and we'll be in 442 defence mode on a tragic run sliding down the table into nothingness after a good start.

Again.

We were playing really confidently. Sammon and Hendrick need to play better and more often. Coutts needs to leave any set pieces alone. Nigel should fine him everytime he fails to beat the first man. He's a professional footballer ffs!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rotation is needed.No one stands out as the best.In champ your minium amount of games is 46.

Famous clough quotes this season is "We play the same home and away with no fear"

Home should be Sammon and Ward Away Tyson and Robinson

You cant play the same away as you wont see as much of the ball.

If you looked at the overall player atm Imo the best centre midfielder is Paul coutts yet hes out on the right.

Its just a suggestion but away the formation should be 4312

Fielding

Brayford Keogh OConnor Freeman

Bryson Hendrick Coutts

Hughes

Tyson Robinson

We are at our best playing through the middle good example is Wolves.Apart from Jacobs we dont have an out and out winger

Ward plays more of an inside forward role.If we are good at passing and pressing we should keep the ball in the middle and if they get the ball force them out wide.

As much as our strikers are poor it's not like they're missing (even getting) many chances at all.

Theo and Sammon won't make their own goals, Tyson rarely will. We need more from our midfielders away from home, set pieces are terrible and the service in general play is rubbish. Our final ball on saturday was horrific, that needs to change. What also needs to change is Sammon's positioning, it's all good and well playing him to "help the team" but he's never in the right place at the right time. Why is he standing on the keeper for our corners?! Get a Roberts or Bryson to do that, Sammon should be attacking the ball.

At home we look like we can always create a goal, I don't know why. We just seem to put the ball in the right area's. I've rarely seen us do that away .

How can you expect a side to create chances when we have 4 CMs playing accross the midfield with zero creativity and without Ward two strikers who are incapable of dropping deep, picking up the ball, turning and feeding a forward moving player..

Sammon is rubbish with the ball, Theo is better playing off the shoulder of the last man, Coutts isn't creative no matter what one good performance he had at the start of the season, Bryson is neat and tidy but needs to be closer to the front guys, Hendrick is poor at the moment and offers nothing and finally Hughes isn't a LW..

Problem is.. NC has made a mess of the squad with his signings or he needs more time to add more pieces to the Jigsaw.. Whatever style of football he wants to play whether it being a fast 4-4-2 with out and out wingers or a possession based 4-5-1/4-3-3 he's missing at least 4 first team players to play in their proper roles..

At the moment Coutts, Hendrick, Sammon and Hughes are all playing without a specific role and are just in the first team to play some kind of footballing role given to them.. Our defence isn't bad, but it's ridiculous that of our front 6 players only 2 are playing in their correct position or role.. (in other words you're only getting 2 of the front 6 to play to their strengths) The other 4 are all square pegs in round holes..

So Bris, genuine question, with the current squad at your disposal who and what formation would you send out?

With this current squad.. It's difficult, If I think of our squad as a manager I really don't like it.. It needs many changes and it's extremely unbalanced..

I'd probably play a 4-5-1.. But even then I really don't like who I'd play as the front 3.. I'd have Ward, Tyson and Sammon as I'd struggle to find room for Theo in which to get the best out of him.. If I played a midfield 3 Bryson and Hughes would definately start with Hughes perhaps more forward.. But then I'd be missing a link between the striker and Midfield (Couttd or Hendrick wouldn't be able to play this role)..

But then I think of the 4-4-2 than NC plays and it's so unbalanced..

I said last season that we had no RW and we still don't.. Jacobs could perhaps play out there but is he ready? Coutts IMO is a wasted player.. It's not that I don't like him, I just don't see the point in him.. He does a job on the RW but you'd much rather have natural RW out there who could create more.. He'd probably be better inside but would you take out Hughes or Bryson for him? I wouldn't..

I'd really like to ask NC what his preferred formation is and what he wants to do.. If he honestly thinks we can get promoted with 4 CMs in midfield and a big man/little man partnership he's more out of his depth than I thought..

How can you expect a side to create chances when we have 4 CMs playing accross the midfield with zero creativity

We do it at home, so I can't see why they can't perform away. Hughes and Coutts see much more of the ball at PP which is normally the case for the home side and they use it well.

We do it at home, so I can't see why they can't perform away. Hughes and Coutts see much more of the ball at PP which is normally the case for the home side and they use it well.

Because it's Clough's weakness - a distinct lack of a plan B. what works at home, should stay at home, because - especially for us - you just can't play the same way at home as away.

I will give you an example say the strikers from what i have seen at derby we have had 3 types of strikers.

Pacey striker-Theo,Tyson etc

Big Target men-Ball,Sammon etc

All round Striker-Ward,Ex Steve Davies and Possibly Bennett

The all round strikers are the strikers that tend to top the goal scoring charts come the end of the season

examples Jordan rhodes and currently charlie austin.Players who have pace but not lighting fast but have excellent attacking posistioning and movement.

Ward is our best striker yet hes more effective for us on the wing.

There is not enough depth to our squad and when i say that i dont mean we dont have enough players its that we dont have enough different types of players .

Like a big bruiser in the middle who can come on if we are winning and see out the game or a very quick winger who can stretch full backs and make the wide midfielder have to come back aswell.

But we have players who can become these types of players we have in the u18s Bola who is big Muscular midfielder but has yet to be mentioned around the u21s or first team.Then Kane richards who has alot of pace and is a winger but lacks techinal ability in basic area's.Instead of every summer wanting to see these types of players come in we have a ready made mould but arient working with what we got.Whatever happened to coaching making an average player into a better player.Modern players may be able to adapt into different posistions but theres always two things you cant teach someone Speed and Intelligence.

Look at raheem Sterling he was just a fast kid now hes seen as a good winger.When he played in the u18s he was just a fast player now the coaches have worked on his game.Players like Freeman should have individual coaching to make him ready to play this pass movement football and if he is to take the left back posistion be very comfortable on both feet.

I have watched the u18s and the now u21s and they dont often play the way the first team play which is why we are not seeing alot more of those teams instead of the same names like Kwame thomas.

I think most people would agree Hughes' best position is central, not wide left, and he needs to be in a fairly advanced position.

Brayford is quick enough to play a more advanced role but still get back to defend when necessary.

So, how about we try three at the back and go with -

O'Connor Keogh Roberts.

Brayford Coutts Bryson Jacobs

Hughes

Robinson Salmon

I'm not sure, but with Ward back you could put him in place of Jacobs or either of the front 2.

Tyson the same really.

Because it's Clough's weakness - a distinct lack of a plan B. what works at home, should stay at home, because - especially for us - you just can't play the same way at home as away.

You should be able to though, or aim to if you want to be a challenging for anything. These young players need to understand that football is precisely the same sport whether it's played in Derby or London. The object of the game is still to score more than the opposition.

I'm not convinced our manager gets it into the players' minds that this is the case. In interviews he does seem to seperate Home and Away matches as two very different things, when in fact, they're both football matches.

Everyone's half decent at home in this league and it doesn't even keep you up necessarily. If you have the confidence to play well away from home, then you've pretty much got this league sussed.

For me, the reason why we seem to fare better at home rather than away is mentality.

We don't have the belief or the confidence to go out and play on the front foot on our travels. We show teams in this division far too much respect. You'd think we're trotting up to Old Trafford every other week the way we set up. We get so consumed in stopping the opposition that we abandon all of our own attacking instincts.

When you are so focused on containing the opposition and keeping it tight, It is no surprise we rarely win away from home, never mind in a convincing fashion.

What else could it be? How can the personnel have changed over the years but the problem remain so constant?

Rotation is needed.No one stands out as the best.In champ your minium amount of games is 46.

Famous clough quotes this season is "We play the same home and away with no fear"

Home should be Sammon and Ward Away Tyson and Robinson

You cant play the same away as you wont see as much of the ball.

If you looked at the overall player atm Imo the best centre midfielder is Paul coutts yet hes out on the right.

Its just a suggestion but away the formation should be 4312

Fielding

Brayford Keogh OConnor Freeman

Bryson Hendrick Coutts

Hughes

Tyson Robinson

We are at our best playing through the middle good example is Wolves.Apart from Jacobs we dont have an out and out winger

Ward plays more of an inside forward role.If we are good at passing and pressing we should keep the ball in the middle and if they get the ball force them out wide.

Not sure about COutts on the left when he's extremley one footed.

I suggest you always to have Horses for Courses really. you cannot have the same combo both at home and away and you have to play to your strengths and then set the combo based on that. i see NC setting up Formations and letting the players set on that. It could lead to discipline but could lead to poor perfomers over 90 mins as well.

I wanna see this as our Home formation.

Fielding

Brayford Keogh O conner Roberts

Buxton/Gjokak

Hughes

Jacobs/Coutts Bryson ward/Jacobs/Hogannson

Sammon/Theo/tyson

4-1-1-3-1 at home against team we expect to win, 4-1-4-1 if we want to shut down games at home and away

4-3-3 if chasing a game.

Looking at this, Ppl always complain that our Midfield is too light. Buxton is a bully, He is the physical guy we can train as a DMC. Make Buxton Man Mark Physical Forwards and make em frustrated (Like he did for blackstock), If Forwards are Quick, Make either Buxton or Gjok play in that position.

This could allow Hughes and Bryson the Freedom to link and play in the middle as well as let Ward play and make runs against Defenders.

Jacobs can be made WR if ward runs himself to the ground or replace Coutts on the right if he is inconsistant.

Bryson and Hughes can Interchange position and maintain possession in the middle to either go wide left or wide right. Right seems to be the most creative at the moment with Brayford overlapping.

I would never use Sammon as a Target man, I believe when ppl here say his touch is poor, But i have seen him play where he certainly has decent pace for a big man and will chop Clough hands if he is poor in the air. I will use him as a proper forward and use to pump in crosses to him, or let him lay balls to ward on the left and allow him to run at the last defender.

If we are chasing the game, Pull the DMC out and add Theo in there with an option of having Three strikers of Sammon/Theo and Tyson playing for the last 20 mins by pulling out Hughes too.

Away from home i would use Freeman and Bennet most often against teams which are in top 6-8. Make em impress and create competition for places in the squad.

Will not allow Hendrik to play anywhere near the senior squad unless he has recovered some form in the U21 games. Make him play through passing and shooting more than what he is currently doing in matches.

I suggest you always to have Horses for Courses really. you cannot have the same combo both at home and away and you have to play to your strengths and then set the combo based on that. i see NC setting up Formations and letting the players set on that. It could lead to discipline but could lead to poor perfomers over 90 mins as well.

I wanna see this as our Home formation.

Fielding

Brayford Keogh O conner Roberts

Buxton/Gjokak

Hughes

Jacobs/Coutts Bryson ward/Jacobs/Hogannson

Sammon/Theo/tyson

4-1-1-3-1 at home against team we expect to win, 4-1-4-1 if we want to shut down games at home and away

4-3-3 if chasing a game.

Looking at this, Ppl always complain that our Midfield is too light. Buxton is a bully, He is the physical guy we can train as a DMC. Make Buxton Man Mark Physical Forwards and make em frustrated (Like he did for blackstock), If Forwards are Quick, Make either Buxton or Gjok play in that position.

This could allow Hughes and Bryson the Freedom to link and play in the middle as well as let Ward play and make runs against Defenders.

Jacobs can be made WR if ward runs himself to the ground or replace Coutts on the right if he is inconsistant.

Bryson and Hughes can Interchange position and maintain possession in the middle to either go wide left or wide right. Right seems to be the most creative at the moment with Brayford overlapping.

I would never use Sammon as a Target man, I believe when ppl here say his touch is poor, But i have seen him play where he certainly has decent pace for a big man and will chop Clough hands if he is poor in the air. I will use him as a proper forward and use to pump in crosses to him, or let him lay balls to ward on the left and allow him to run at the last defender.

If we are chasing the game, Pull the DMC out and add Theo in there with an option of having Three strikers of Sammon/Theo and Tyson playing for the last 20 mins by pulling out Hughes too.

Away from home i would use Freeman and Bennet most often against teams which are in top 6-8. Make em impress and create competition for places in the squad.

Will not allow Hendrik to play anywhere near the senior squad unless he has recovered some form in the U21 games. Make him play through passing and shooting more than what he is currently doing in matches.

Hmm, your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Hope that isnt Sarcastic. Am just merely pointing to the fact that Formations have to be changing based on the Opposition.

Buxton - Better Physically & a threat in setpieces, but prone to Mistakes , Poor Distribution and poor against Pace. Make him be in the squad for his pros as a DMC. You get the Physicality that you need in Midfield and you have Keogh & Oconner having better Defending capabilities and Distribution to back him up.

Ward - Pros would be Pace and Dribbling skills, Poor in air and holding ball. So make him run at the defense without worrying too much abt defending in Midfield with G roberts & Buxton taking care.

Bryson is Box to Box, But doesnt Retain possesion and Doesnt Dictate play from the Midfield, Make him support sammon with Hughes coming from Deep in Midfield and holding and passing the ball either to the Left or to the Right (Same way he got involved with Coutts/Brayford for the Goal against Forest)

Have jacobs be a backup from Right Midfield or Left for the Last 20 mins and pump balls in and take care of Setpieces.

Keep sammon on not to just hold the ball but to make him run at goal with his strength to keep the ball (Goal against Watford)

We also should keep pumping crosses in so he can run and get a touch with Feet or Head (Goal against Blackpool)

Have the youth Benett/Hogannson/Obrien/Freeman play at top quality opposition when we are 2-0 down already. Make em have a Run at them. Sometimes fresh young blood will spark a comeback you have nothing to lose anyways.

All this just made sense to me thats it,

Archived