Derby County Squad - Discussion on current squad and future needs

TETRA

Far to many so called big names on long contracts for my liking. It was something that worried me at the time we signed most of them, even more so than what's now proved to be transfer fees that well over the top for the abilities & success they have brought to the team. I'd love to know what wages some of these players are on, I would think four or five of them represent a very large percentage of the total wage bill for the squad. FFP & the effect of it still feels me with dread sadly.

I would have been happier if three or four more players had been out of contract this summer after what's happen this season. Whoever the new manager is he will have a big job on his hands as many of the players he may want to get rid of won't want to go anywhere based on the contracts they have. I also can't see many Clubs coming in to buy these players at anywhere near the money we paid for them, can you ?. 

Although the new manager will obviously be making some more signings of his own, I have a feeling he may well have to do better with much of the squad he's inherited. Will Mel spend another £25 Million next season ?, I very much doubt it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think maybe one or two of the squad may feel it's time to move on and get a decent pay day before it's too late and I would be happy to fill any gaps with academy players moving up. We won't be spending a great deal maybe a striker and defensive midfielder. I would also like to see Forsyth played further forward allowing Lowe to come into the team as ollson backup.

It depends on the manager who comes in, i suspect, but, my feeling is we might well see some of the old guard move on this summer.

I think this because - They are the ones we could sell profitably (considering they mostly came in cheap under Clough) as they have been doing the business as first choice AND after this season, the buzz isn't the same as it was under Schtevie with new faces on big money, having feel short again might be feeling it is time to go.

It was just something i had a hunch about after Russell's post Hull interview - it seemed to be beyond disappointed about the game, it came across as the end of something. I could be wrong of course, and I think Mel wants to keep that core together but we can sell the Keogh/Bryson/Russell etc and get a tidy return instead of selling Johnson/Butterfield and taking a financial hit.

I'd love it if we kept Hughes and being out injured might have helped but if it's time its time, good luck Will.

I'm clinging on to the hope that a better manager both with experience and tactical awareness will get much more out of this bunch of players.

we know they are all good players, they just haven't done it consistently this season. Clearing out the fringe players, getting in a few, maybe 4 tops quality signings could make a massive difference to both the quality and consistency and the overall moral of the team.

I agree with most of the posts in this thread. 

There's some that think we need a complete overhaul and I just think that's ridiculous. We have a core team of players capable of beating anyone in this league and maintaining a premier league position if and when we get promoted.

i think we need a manager that can basically get us playing with speed in attack and shore up our defence a bit.

i think our squad is too big and so would look to get rid of any/all of the following;

Baird, Bent, Shotton, Weimann, Johnson, Ince, Keogh, Blackman  and any of the players we have out on loan.

promote a few of our under-21's/academy players

and bring in some decent competition/cover for Thorne

a younger, more confident centre back for Keogh (who's had a great season but I think nows a good time to cash in as he's not getting any younger and I don't think he's a/our future premier league centre back)

and try and find a Jamie Vardy figure from the lower leagues to give us a partner/competitor for Martin.

Our biggest requirement is a permanent replacement for Thorne. I love the guy and when he is on form there are few better in the division but his luck with injuries is absolutely horrific. We need someone who we can rely on to play most of the games in a season. The midfield we play with cries out for some control so players like Bryson and Johnson can get up and support Martin. That is when we look our best.

22 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Our biggest requirement is a permanent replacement for Thorne. I love the guy and when he is on form there are few better in the division but his luck with injuries is absolutely horrific. We need someone who we can rely on to play most of the games in a season. The midfield we play with cries out for some control so players like Bryson and Johnson can get up and support Martin. That is when we look our best.

Agreed but much to my surprise the way Hendrick played in that role against Hull was the best I've seen him play. We may already have a replacement/reserve.

41 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Or.....has he used up all his bad luck now and is set to play 40+ games a season for us, for the next 5 years?. I was concerned about the possibility of him having glass knees but the latest double break could have happened to any player at any time. I don't think seemingly being unlucky should be grounds for replaement.

As long as he is deemed to be at acceptable risk of further serious injury, then a decent back-up is all that's required.

24 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Agreed but much to my surprise the way Hendrick played in that role against Hull was the best I've seen him play. We may already have a replacement/reserve.

I agree, I'd written him off before that game. Just needs to do it more consistently now

We weren't under a lot of defensive pressure in that game. I'll admit I was very pleased and surprised at how disciplined and effective he was in that role in that game but it adds a question if he could do it more often where as previously I'd have simply said he couldn't do the job.

43 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

If he has a good Euro we'll sell for pretty decent money I think! I work with his uncle so I'll keep you posted if I hear any goss!! Ps when are we announcing players to be released? Bournemouth just released a few including Distin??? Any takers!!  

1 minute ago, SKRam said:

If he has a good Euro we'll sell for pretty decent money I think! I work with his uncle so I'll keep you posted if I hear any goss!! Ps when are we announcing players to be released? Bournemouth just released a few including Distin??? Any takers!!  

Already released our retained list and released warnock and salmon

Burnley are after Hughes and Thorne believe... There'll be a few offers on their way  for Hughes no doubt. May not be a case of money but simply the draw of the Prem for the lad. Teams like Burnley he'd get week in week out football unlike the bigger clubs so he may have to do some serious thinking. Good luck to the lad as many have said on here, plays the game with a smile, love to see a player look like they're enjoying their game.  Reminds me of Tommy Johnson!! 

3 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Burnley are after Hughes and Thorne believe... There'll be a few offers on their way  for Hughes no doubt. May not be a case of money but simply the draw of the Prem for the lad. Teams like Burnley he'd get week in week out football unlike the bigger clubs so he may have to do some serious thinking. Good luck to the lad as many have said on here, plays the game with a smile, love to see a player look like they're enjoying their game.  Reminds me of Tommy Johnson!! 

After a player who wouldn't be able to pass a medical until just before the transfer window shuts?

Because of the outlay this season and most of the squad being on long and decent contracts, I think that's going to sway the decision to give wass the job and employ a DOF, a new manager will want new players, ideas etc

we know they CAN play well, it's getting them on a consistent week in week out level

Agree with most of the posts.  When it comes to worry about high wage players not wanting to move on, i think a manager or head coach who isn't afraid to play a bit of hardball could solve that problem.  A player who is not playing well enough for the first team and is on high wages will soon enough consider his career in danger if he's not getting first team football and is finding himself frozen out.

Archived