Should we have moved a few players out?

Kernow

I read an article by either a SS or BBC pundit reviewing the top 5 Championship deadline day signings, Johnson and Butterfield were the first 2 mentioned. But do we need a squad this big? Didn't Clement say he wanted a squad of about 20 players? We now have...

Carson, Grant, Roos

Baird, Christie, Ssewankambo, Shotton, Keogh, Pearce, Shackell, Buxton, Forsyth, Warnock

Thorne, Bryson, Hendrick, Hanson, Butterfield, Johnson, Dawkins, Hughes

Martin, Ince, Russell, Weimann, Bent.

That's 26 players. If we were a PL side I don't think we could even register all of those could we? 26 players, all of whom would want/expect a spot in the matchday squad. 8 will be left out each week.

I really would have expected some outgoings. Surely a few will be loaned out in the coming weeks?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TobyWanKenobi

I don't think it is necessary really. Moving players out and having a small squad would just cause more excuses if we get injuries.

See how the injury rehabs pan out for a few weeks...we seem to collect a couple of injuries a game at present. We had no injuries as the fixtures commenced, but look at us now...!

That said, I'd expect 3 or 4 loan-outs by October and perhaps one or two significant sales in January.

I think you've answered your own question a bit there, Kernow. And I think Srg is also correct too.

I gave my own opinion but I'm interested if others think we may have a couple more players than we actually need. 

Not even the most severe of injury crises would demand 4 right backs, would it?

From what we've seen, Roos, Christie and Dawkins aren't really in the first team plans at all. So there's 3 less.

When fully fit, we have 6 players competing for 3 midfield positions (max). That ideally should be 5 players competing. Hendrick to go for me.

So take those 4 players out of your 26, and you get 22. A backup for every position. Seems about right to me.

I think Hanson will still be prominent in the squad as he is the only one (other than Baird) that can cover Thorne on holding role. So i'd still expect to see him on the bench.

I think having such depth to the squad means we can all let our abs relax a little instead of holding tight for those expected injuries that mess up our season.

The players have all signed contracts knowing that it's a squad that has quality and depth, so they should all be expecting to play for their shirt.

Beats me how anyone would bemoan having too many players ?.

I agree we need options, something we didn't have at he end of last season but I think it can have a negative effect within the setup - players mooching about not happy because they're not playing. I'm not saying it will happen here but most players just want to play.

Roos will be going back out on loan somewhere, I'm sure. If you take away the two youngsters in Hanson and Ssewankambo it's only 23, plus Hughes is out for the season. It's basically 22 man squad reinforced with youth. Exactly what we said we were going to do.

I wouldn't include Ssewankambo and Roos in the squad and you can't include Hughes so that's 23. They may go out on loan again if someone wants them. 

I think but not hope Dawkins will go out on loan, unless Hendrick or Bryson ask to go on loan first. I also think that when Bucko is deemed fit enough for the bench, then Christie or Shotton will go out on loan.   

I still think we will bring a loan player in later this month. Probably a left winger.

I think it's very important for Hanson not to be given too much too soon at this age - not in terms of attitude, but in not putting too much pressure on him to perform every week. He hasn't lasted a full game yet this season either, so you could say he's not quite ready yet. It would be much better to play him when we want him to, rather than because we need to.

Ssewankambo is similar in that regard, and both of them I expect will be in and out of the match day squad - and when they're out, they'll be with the U21s.

I think Roos' Derby career is essentially over as well. I'm sure we will loan him out again, but it looks from an outsider's perspective that Mitchell has overtaken him (and from what I understand, that was always going to be a matter of time anyway).

I think Dawkins doesn't have much of a future with us either. Maybe it's partly the misfortune of PC not having much of a pre-season with him, and partly the misfortune of having a lot of competition in all the positions he can play. After Hughes and Thorne, he's the best at keeping the ball in the squad (in fact he might be even better than Thorne for that). But while that's important, other midfielders and wingers in our team offer more bite, strength, goal-scoring threat and that killer pass that Dawkins lacks in exchange for not keeping the ball as well as him. I like Dawkins, and I think every team needs a player like Dawkins - but we already do, and he's called Will Hughes. And he's much better.

Hendrick also slipped way down the pecking order yesterday and after watching some of his performances, it's much needed. When he hasn't got someone like Thorne or Eustace to hold his hand and remind him not to just stand still being marked, he might as well just watch the game from the stands, and even on Saturday with Thorne in the side, he was next to useless in the first half. Rosler's pressing game against us forces the midfield to come deeper to collect the ball from the back four - everyone, apart from Hendrick it seems, who seemed to sort of stand on the half way line and wonder why the game seemed to be passing him by. Only when PC told the players to wake up and move the ball quicker at half-time did we create the space needed to make him look decent again, and he should have scored. Still, PC said players need to take their opportunity when it knocks and Hendrick hasn't done that.

So Roos, Hanson and Ssewankambo don't really fit inside the squad as full senior professionals. Dawkins doesn't seem to be part of the plans anyway - so that puts us down to 22. That leaves us over-subscribed in midfield and defence and as I said, I think Hendrick is the one in danger in the former category, and sadly another sticks out in defence and I can't bring myself to say it...

Archived