Promotion next season?

Hans

Maybe Nigel doesnt want promotion.

My guess is that even if he did get us promoted, either straight up or via the playoffs, he would not be the manager of choice for the premiership campaign. His last 5 useless seasons prove that.

So, get promoted and get sacked, get relegated and get sacked.

Or just struggle for championship survival, bleat on about lack of funds and playing teams with too many ex premiership players etc, and stay employed!

Does actually sound like Nigel knows what he is doing!!!

When I said this a week ago, I was joking. I didn't realise that someone would actually have such thoughts.

Please tell me you are not serious. My sarcasm detector doesn't appear to be working today.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is that even if he did get us promoted, either straight up or via the playoffs, he would not be the manager of choice for the premiership campaign. His last 5 useless seasons prove that.

Or just struggle for championship survival, bleat on about lack of funds and playing teams with too many ex premiership players etc, and stay employed!

As someone who has no faith in Clough, it may surprise a few, but my stance is that if Clough got us promoted, he deserves the full season in the Premier League, as long as he tried to win, and then the first six months of the following season if we get instantly relegated. I'd handle a couple of seasons as a yo-yo club, like WBA were, and if he managed to get us up once, there'd be evidence to suggest he could do it again.

As someone who has no faith in Clough, it may surprise a few, but my stance is that if Clough got us promoted, he deserves the full season in the Premier League, as long as he tried to win, and then the first six months of the following season if we get instantly relegated. I'd handle a couple of seasons as a yo-yo club, like WBA were, and if he managed to get us up once, there'd be evidence to suggest he could do it again.

nothing you say surprises me

This did raise a smile. One of the more ridicilous theories I've heard, Nigel is purposely keeping us mid-table because he'd be sacked if we went up...

Had a few beers by any chance?

One thing about promotion, if we're good enough - we will be promoted, regardless of 'bad luck' or 'injuries'

It's not an easy task being promoted, nor is it the be all or end all of football! Getting to the play-offs is one thing, but you've got to remember it's THREE teams in the division that get promoted, and there are a lot more than three teams in the division that should be 'better' placed than us. 

I don't want to sound pessimistic, or mean to be wumming with this comment - but let's say for instance that Huddersfield do beat us to the punch over Vaughan, because we can't offer him what they can. How can the board realistically expect Clough to make that jump - I'm not saying it's impossible, or anything. If you put yourself in other teams shoes, and pretty much 18 teams will have genuine aspirations of making the top 6, we're at the lower end of that spectrum in terms of budgets, but not for quality. 

I just think anyone 'expecting' top 6 needs to wake up, and sort of understand where we are positioned in the league before the ball has been kicked - I don't think we're that far behind in quality, but I doubt our spending power has enough to push us over that edge, nor do I think all our key players will be here until the end of next season. 

I've said it before, and i'll say it again - we need to be realistic, there are some teams in this division that we cannot touch in terms of budgets - what we have going for us, much like Palace is some exceptional youth players. 

Brighton, Leicester, Forest, Birmingham, Blackburn, Bolton, Ipswich, Reading, Wigan and QPR... I mean that is 10 teams with budgets that exceed ours by someway, then you have Huddersfield, Middlesborough, Leeds, Burnley, Blackpool and even Bournemouth who are around our ball park if not a little higher in some cases! As I said we've got no define right, you could argue we're close and not too far away but every single team will be looking to improve in the summer, and unfortunately for us there are teams that are more capable of bringing in the players that will help them do just that! 

of course he does he has already wants promation next season

so come everybody believe in the man

and be postive for a change.

this man has the right idea, I swear a few of you on here are so negative that you would litterally cry over split milk

One thing about promotion, if we're good enough - we will be promoted, regardless of 'bad luck' or 'injuries'

It's not an easy task being promoted, nor is it the be all or end all of football! Getting to the play-offs is one thing, but you've got to remember it's THREE teams in the division that get promoted, and there are a lot more than three teams in the division that should be 'better' placed than us. 

I don't want to sound pessimistic, or mean to be wumming with this comment - but let's say for instance that Huddersfield do beat us to the punch over Vaughan, because we can't offer him what they can. How can the board realistically expect Clough to make that jump - I'm not saying it's impossible, or anything. If you put yourself in other teams shoes, and pretty much 18 teams will have genuine aspirations of making the top 6, we're at the lower end of that spectrum in terms of budgets, but not for quality. 

I just think anyone 'expecting' top 6 needs to wake up, and sort of understand where we are positioned in the league before the ball has been kicked - I don't think we're that far behind in quality, but I doubt our spending power has enough to push us over that edge, nor do I think all our key players will be here until the end of next season. 

I've said it before, and i'll say it again - we need to be realistic, there are some teams in this division that we cannot touch in terms of budgets - what we have going for us, much like Palace is some exceptional youth players. 

Brighton, Leicester, Forest, Birmingham, Blackburn, Bolton, Ipswich, Reading, Wigan and QPR... I mean that is 10 teams with budgets that exceed ours by someway, then you have Huddersfield, Middlesborough, Leeds, Burnley, Blackpool and even Bournemouth who are around our ball park if not a little higher in some cases! As I said we've got no define right, you could argue we're close and not too far away but every single team will be looking to improve in the summer, and unfortunately for us there are teams that are more capable of bringing in the players that will help them do just that! 

Board out then?

/quote]

I think our squad is pretty ideal in terms of player motivation and harmony, aided no doubt by a fairly flat and low wage structure. The players who are here want to be here for football reasons. Brayford probably wants to stay but deserves a chance at a higher level.

Changing our model for one player becomes risky unless this makes a huge difference in quality. There is little guarantee that Vaughan would be much better than Sammon, Martin or Ward. But he would have to be pretty good for the rest of the squad to accept he should be on way more than

I'm sure we could afford higher wages, but do we really want to? Keep them for someone who is already proven. Phil Neville is probably not the one, but does Nigel need a MacKay?

how about 'sack the board'! why don't they just sell up to one of the many potential biyers prepared to invest* millions and millions into the club?

*includes those whose idea of investment is short term unsustainable spending

So maybe it's time to stop moan about 20 teams in this division have bigger budget than us? It is sounds like an excuse for our useless manager who can't achive anything with current budget.

So we have Board who won`t spend. Manager who can do nothing on this budget. 

= Stagnation.  

Board out then?

Well, no because we're losing 8 million as it is. The daft thing is, if Derby fans came back and supported the club - putting the money in the club, like we did in the premier league season, it would probably give us a lot more money to spend on transfers, or at least more room to maneuver but why would you when we're not looking like investing. I suppose it's a vicious circle, but usually the teams with the biggest crowds like Brighton, are spending within reasonable losses because of their fan base!  

Well, no because we're losing 8 million as it is. The daft thing is, if Derby fans came back and supported the club - putting the money in the club, like we did in the premier league season, it would probably give us a lot more money to spend on transfers, or at least more room to maneuver but why would you when we're not looking like investing. I suppose it's a vicious circle, but usually the teams with the biggest crowds like Brighton, are spending within reasonable losses because of their fan base!  

I usually agree with you on most things. But for the last few years we have been turning out, but the poor quality on display at times has made that hard for fans to bring themselves to do.

I am still going to go to the games as usual in the hope the team we have got can keep it going for a season as we are not far off the playoffs or promotion a little tweek and we will be almost there.

But you have to remeber this has been a long hard slog for the fans and at times some of thoose players in the last few years have not deserved the backing the fans have given them.

Lets be honest at times this year the fans have been wary of winding the opposition fans up as we easly go 2-0 up to draw 2-2 I.e. Wednesday..

This makes for a subdued atmosphere and the fans generally wary about getting behind the team.

If you look at the Premiership season we had an average gate of 900 below capacity which is brilliant, we all knew we would lose or draw but we came to see the opposition as much as our own team. Some of the players we were playing against were the best in the world so we all enjoyed watching football.

We need a sure sign of improvement from the board, the team and the management to be able to get the gates back up.

This year is the year for Derby (make or break). If we get off to a good start with the correct signings the rest will fall in to place.

IMO I think Baptiste and Vaughan will not be in a Derby shirt but there are other players out of contract who are good enough to give us that little extra if we get a good start then the armchair I mean fans will come back.

Brighton are on the back of a recent promotion there gates will drop after a couple years just like everyone else in the league. It’s swings and roundabouts but improve the team and that will give all the fans the confidence to attend and get behind the team. You can’t expect everyone to be happy with Middle table year after year we are too big a club.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-19020089-detail/story.html?#axzz2TdhMuZME

SAM Rush looked ahead to next season and said: “Why shouldn’t Derby County aim for the top six?”
The Rams finished 10th in the Championship this season, the club’s highest finish in six years since they won promotion in 2007.
Derby County chief executive, Sam Rush.
Rush believes there is a solid platform to build on which will be strengthened by new signings this summer.
Goalkeeper Lee Grant and striker Chris Martin have been added to the squad already and Derby are in the market for another four new faces.

Rush looks at what clubs like Hull City, Brighton & Hove Albion and Crystal Palace achieved this season and sees no reason why Derby cannot do similar.
“Top six? That is the aim, it would be odd if it wasn’t,” said Rush.
“We finished 10th this season. We won five of the last nine games.
“That works out at around 80 points over a season and that is promotion form.
“From our point of view why wouldn’t we aim for top six.
“We absolutely should do.
“We have got an excellent management team, we have got an excellent team, we have got some of the country’s best players and we have got a team full of internationals either at senior or junior level.
“We should be going for it.
“It is an extremely tough league but there is absolutely no reason in my opinion why Derby County cannot be where Brighton, Palace and Hull are.
“Are those clubs better than us? Absolutely not.
“One of the things we will benefit from is stability.
“The fact we have got the nucleus of our squad already in place helps and we are going to be adding bits of quality through the summer.
“If we start the season well, we will be hard to dislodge.
“We have put in a huge amount of hard work in the last few years to build up the quality of the squad, the Academy and recruit the right players.
“If I reel off the sort of squad we could have for next season I’d defy anyone not to be excited about what the season could bring.''

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-19020089-detail/story.html?#axzz2TdhMuZME

SAM Rush looked ahead to next season and said: “Why shouldn’t Derby County aim for the top six?”
The Rams finished 10th in the Championship this season, the club’s highest finish in six years since they won promotion in 2007.
Derby County chief executive, Sam Rush.
Rush believes there is a solid platform to build on which will be strengthened by new signings this summer.
Goalkeeper Lee Grant and striker Chris Martin have been added to the squad already and Derby are in the market for another four new faces.

Rush looks at what clubs like Hull City, Brighton & Hove Albion and Crystal Palace achieved this season and sees no reason why Derby cannot do similar.
“Top six? That is the aim, it would be odd if it wasn’t,” said Rush.
“We finished 10th this season. We won five of the last nine games.
“That works out at around 80 points over a season and that is promotion form.
“From our point of view why wouldn’t we aim for top six.
“We absolutely should do.
“We have got an excellent management team, we have got an excellent team, we have got some of the country’s best players and we have got a team full of internationals either at senior or junior level.
“We should be going for it.
“It is an extremely tough league but there is absolutely no reason in my opinion why Derby County cannot be where Brighton, Palace and Hull are.
“Are those clubs better than us? Absolutely not.
“One of the things we will benefit from is stability.
“The fact we have got the nucleus of our squad already in place helps and we are going to be adding bits of quality through the summer.
“If we start the season well, we will be hard to dislodge.
“We have put in a huge amount of hard work in the last few years to build up the quality of the squad, the Academy and recruit the right players.
“If I reel off the sort of squad we could have for next season I’d defy anyone not to be excited about what the season could bring.''

Oooooh ooooh I am getting REALLLLLLLLLLLYYYYY excited!!!!!!

What a load of old tosh.

Same old, same old again next season. Guaranteed.

All the teams mentioned are where they are because of investment. We all know how dirty that word is at this club.

Go buy those season tickets and be excited people!

Archived