Promotion next season?

Hans

Oooooh ooooh I am getting REALLLLLLLLLLLYYYYY excited!!!!!!

What a load of old tosh.

Same old, same old again next season. Guaranteed.

All the teams mentioned are where they are because of investment. We all know how dirty that word is at this club.

Go buy those season tickets and be excited people!

Be fair - it's the first time Sam Rush has been here before the start of a season, so for him it's the first old first old.

As far as buying a season ticket is concerned, it's what fans do - which explains why I've got one (and you haven't? :p  )

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooooh ooooh I am getting REALLLLLLLLLLLYYYYY excited!!!!!!

What a load of old tosh.

Same old, same old again next season. Guaranteed.

All the teams mentioned are where they are because of investment. We all know how dirty that word is at this club.

Go buy those season tickets and be excited people!

It won't be same old same old will it though? It will be this years squad, plus 6ish signings, minus some decent to average Championship players who are being improved upon, and possibly Brayford.

What do you want him to say exactly? "I'm proper titsed off that we can't afford Prem rejects on £20k a week, so I might not even bother myself next season, and I get the best seat in the ground for free."

Peculiar comment from Rush regards Brighton, Palace and Hull not being better teams than us, I hate to tell you Sam but Hull are already promoted, Palace could follow them and Brighton finished significantly higher than us in the table. QED. I could go on but I get picked up for dissecting Rush's press releases.

Rush has to sound positive, it's a sales pitch to fans, sponsors, etc.

The reality is we're not investing. Grant and Martin are Bosmans. If we get competition for Burke, Vaughan and Baptiste they won't come here. Rush is already saying they're not our only targets.

Clough has admitted Brayford is leaving. Rush can't afford to as he wants to sell season tickets and sponsorships before Brayford goes. I wonder if we'll get the "we offered him what he wanted but couldn't compete with Cardiff (or whoever)" spiel.

How long before other decent players who are good enough for the Prem or top of the Championship jump ship?

We're going nowhere under these owners / board. We need a new strategy.

And you know what people, none of this is actually Clough's fault.

You know what, I don't really care if we've heard all of this before. He seems like a decent bloke and I'd prefer to view next season with optimism rather than anything else. There's certainly nothing impossible about us finishing in the top 6 and, if it were to happen, we'll be singing his name from the rooftops this time next year.

You know what, I don't really care if we've heard all of this before. He seems like a decent bloke and I'd prefer to view next season with optimism rather than anything else. There's certainly nothing impossible about us finishing in the top 6 and, if it were to happen, we'll be singing his name from the rooftops this time next year.

How much of your hard earned wedge would you put on us being in the Top 6 next season then ask yourself then how realistic it is likely to be

How much of your hard earned wedge would you put on us being in the Top 6 next season then ask yourself then how realistic it is likely to be

I'd probably put a tenner on it but only because the odds would be huge haha.

If I were to put money on because of confidence, I'd quite happily put a fair bit on us finishing in the top 10 again. I will say though that i believe we're more likely to finish in the top 6 than we are in the bottom 8 or so (in my opinion).

Rush has to sound positive, it's a sales pitch to fans, sponsors, etc.

The reality is we're not investing. Grant and Martin are Bosmans. If we get competition for Burke, Vaughan and Baptiste they won't come here. Rush is already saying they're not our only targets.

Clough has admitted Brayford is leaving. Rush can't afford to as he wants to sell season tickets and sponsorships before Brayford goes. I wonder if we'll get the "we offered him what he wanted but couldn't compete with Cardiff (or whoever)" spiel.

How long before other decent players who are good enough for the Prem or top of the Championship jump ship?

We're going nowhere under these owners / board. We need a new strategy.

And you know what people, none of this is actually Clough's fault.

Indirectly, yes, he's here because he gives them a buffer, he's an average, fairly unambitious manager who keeps the fans quiet.

If they got rid of him they'd have maybe 6 months until the new manager effect wears off then the fans would turn, only they'd then be on the boards back.

It's the boards decision to keep him here, and the reason they keep him here is because they're happy to just tread water, he's failed their stated target season after season, why else would you keep a manager who keeps failing if there wasn't another reason for keeping him?

Indirectly, yes, he's here because he gives them a buffer, he's an average, fairly unambitious manager who keeps the fans quiet.

If they got rid of him they'd have maybe 6 months until the new manager effect wears off then the fans would turn, only they'd then be on the boards back.

It's the boards decision to keep him here, and the reason they keep him here is because they're happy to just tread water, he's failed their stated target season after season, why else would you keep a manager who keeps failing if there wasn't another reason for keeping him?

because he inherited a poor quality squad on high wages - and he's done a decent job of making slow progress without much cash to splash.

& how do you know he's unambitious ?

Always said it and still will. Progress is progress. No matter how fast or slow. But the slow stuff is working and don't think we should just go "oh yeah, we'll aim to win the league this season".

Not good for the fans to hear that, that's why he sets a suitable target.

TobyWanKenobi

It's funny you say that. Pm me, i'll tell you what i know, can't post it for obvious reasons.

Because someone will prove you wrong?

Curb you may well be right from the owners / board's perspective. But that doesn't mean Clough can do much about it, other than his best with the relatively small amount of resources at his disposal. It also doesn't mean that another manager would do any better with similar resources (including his own salary).

My points are firstly that we are as yet showing no signs of improving the squad (again) despite what Rush is saying and secondly that Clough can't do much about it.

Yeah you're right as well, but while he's here we'll just carry on treading water, GSE are happy with that, because he keeps the equilibrium. Nothing will change next season, the players coming in won't be any different to the ones going out, and SR will be saying exactly the same in a years time.

Rush is doing what any other person in his position would do at this time of the season - making vacuous statements and generalisations without commiting to or promising anything tangible, banging the drum saying we are no worse than the clubs in last seasons playoff positions, bigging everything up, putting a positive shine on our performance last season. No guarantees, no consequences, means nothing.

Archived