Promotion next season?

Hans

Rush is doing what any other person in his position would do at this time of the season - making vacuous statements and generalisations without commiting to or promising anything tangible, banging the drum saying we are no worse than the clubs in last seasons playoff positions, bigging everything up, putting a positive shine on our performance last season. No guarantees, no consequences, means nothing.

Not necessarily wrong either.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peculiar comment from Rush regards Brighton, Palace and Hull not being better teams than us, I hate to tell you Sam but Hull are already promoted, Palace could follow them and Brighton finished significantly higher than us in the table. QED. I could go on but I get picked up for dissecting Rush's press releases.

Hull beat us twice last season but we outplayed then both times.

Obviously we need to turn dominance into results, hopefully the new signings will do this. 

One thing about promotion, if we're good enough - we will be promoted, regardless of 'bad luck' or 'injuries'

It's not an easy task being promoted, nor is it the be all or end all of football! Getting to the play-offs is one thing, but you've got to remember it's THREE teams in the division that get promoted, and there are a lot more than three teams in the division that should be 'better' placed than us. 

I don't want to sound pessimistic, or mean to be wumming with this comment - but let's say for instance that Huddersfield do beat us to the punch over Vaughan, because we can't offer him what they can. How can the board realistically expect Clough to make that jump - I'm not saying it's impossible, or anything. If you put yourself in other teams shoes, and pretty much 18 teams will have genuine aspirations of making the top 6, we're at the lower end of that spectrum in terms of budgets, but not for quality. 

I just think anyone 'expecting' top 6 needs to wake up, and sort of understand where we are positioned in the league before the ball has been kicked - I don't think we're that far behind in quality, but I doubt our spending power has enough to push us over that edge, nor do I think all our key players will be here until the end of next season. 

I've said it before, and i'll say it again - we need to be realistic, there are some teams in this division that we cannot touch in terms of budgets - what we have going for us, much like Palace is some exceptional youth players. 

Brighton, Leicester, Forest, Birmingham, Blackburn, Bolton, Ipswich, Reading, Wigan and QPR... I mean that is 10 teams with budgets that exceed ours by someway, then you have Huddersfield, Middlesborough, Leeds, Burnley, Blackpool and even Bournemouth who are around our ball park if not a little higher in some cases! As I said we've got no define right, you could argue we're close and not too far away but every single team will be looking to improve in the summer, and unfortunately for us there are teams that are more capable of bringing in the players that will help them do just that! 

Well I agree that there will be a good 156 teams if not more eying up a top six place.

I think Wigan will be hot favourites so automatic might be beyond the Rams.

None of the teams who finished in the top 6 last year were obviously better than the Rams, and in fact we were the better team in all four games against the two automatically promoted teams.

This league is so tight its almost impossible to predict, but I think, barring injuries and selling any of our best players, we are a couple of shrewd signings away from a top 6 finish. Fester and co may have bigger budgets but fact is Hughes and Hendrick cost us nothing.

I think QPR will stroll the Championship next season, leaving 1 automatic place up for grabs. Reading will also be right up there challenging, Wigan I'm not so sure about.

I agree that any of about 14 teams could end up in the Play Offs but with our very small squad and especially lack of strength in depth I don't see us as being amongst the top contenders (nor to the bookies who are pricing us to finish in the bottom half).

We have a chance, but I wouldn't be putting serious money on us finishing in the Play Offs unless GSE suddenly pull a rabbit out of the hat and chuck some serious money at it - which I just cannot see them doing.

None of the teams who finished in the top 6 last year were obviously better than the Rams,

Sorry to break this to you, but they all got a lot more points than us, so they were better than us.

Obviously.

Curb you may well be right from the owners / board's perspective. But that doesn't mean Clough can do much about it, other than his best with the relatively small amount of resources at his disposal. It also doesn't mean that another manager would do any better with similar resources (including his own salary).

My points are firstly that we are as yet showing no signs of improving the squad (again) despite what Rush is saying and secondly that Clough can't do much about it.

So he has bought Grant even though he won't improve the squad and we already have 5 goalkeepers?

Sorry to break this to you, but they all got a lot more points than us, so they were better than us.

Obviously.

Well Fester got just 7 points more than us so they werent obviously better than us. Except when they play us when they usually are obviously better than us.

i think we can get promation and maybe even top end

we have a top keeper now in lee grant that will talk to his defanders and fellow team mates

Have you said that every season since birth?

The odd season you will be right.

i think we can get promation and maybe even top end

we have a top keeper now in lee grant that will talk to his defanders and fellow team mates

Are you saying Fielding and Ledgzzziningins didn't talk to Derby players? Do you think they were shy? or did they fall out?

So he has bought Grant even though he won't improve the squad and we already have 5 goalkeepers?

He didn't buy Grant, he got him for free. I'd say as well that there's at least hope, if not expectation,  that he will improve the squad.

At least two of the 5 goalkeepers will fetch us some cash.

c500k to spend elsewhere plus a better keeper than any of the 5 we have right now.

That's not too shabby at all in my mind.

How do you get promation?

You start by being dyslexic. 

Don't take the pee out of B4 - he's all right. We could do with a few more possessing his love and enthusiasm for the club.

Fair enough, we all have our problems I'm sure.

Meanwhile - how much Clough gets to spend will surely be dependent on how many of the unwanted players the club can move on. If we were to get a combined £1m for Legzdins, Fielding, Tyson and Robinson I think we'd be delighted with that, and wisely invested in wages / signing fees for out of contract players that could make a real difference.

There won't be a massive reliance on fees in my opinion, we'll probably end up around £1m down on transfers as usual, with 4 of the 6 signings frees. For this reason I don't think that outgoings will be as big a factor as you might think.

Archived