This is not the time to knock Clough

Curtains

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what about pereplotkins

What a player! Andrejs Pereplotkins, number 33, what a beast! He currently plays for Nasaf Qarshi in Uzbekistan. He gets to face West Asian super powers like Bunyodkor and Pakhtakor.

Seriously though, Bunyodkor is one of the bigger teams in Asia.

Sorry, I worded that very poorly. It was meant to be, "How many managers got out of this division without significant backing, then think about how many of those did so whilst also having to hack and slash the wage bill." You're right though, it didn't read like that. What do you have to say to the amended question?

Chris houghton, tony Mowbray, are a couple that I can think off that had to reduce the wage bill, whilst having a negative spend, also didn't Birmingham and Sunderland did it as well recently.

I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong, but at the end of the day clough has yet not pulled up any trees in where we have finished the league and there are plenty of managers who have.

Hopefully clough can be one of them, I am still to be convinced after 3 years but we shall see, anyway the debate has become a bit tiresome for me, let's hope in 10 games time you are talking about a successfull run as that's more fun.

Until then I'll refrain from any more comments :-)

think that QPR incident at home when James Bailey missed a great opportunity for 3-1 and we ended up losing completely rocked NCs boat and ever since then it's been a case of a defensive mentality.. When was the last time with 20 minutes remaining and winning by one goal have we actually looked like scoring again?

We drew that game 2-2 - but it felt like a loss

Agree with the point though.

he has steadied the ship but i doubt he'll take us any further

This sums it up for me.

I think Clough deserves some credit for sorting the wage budget and keeping us from turning into Portsmouth. Keeping us from being relegated which was on the cards season before last. But when it comes to man management he has been woeful. Tactically in second half's for three season we have suffered from his negativity. I do believe we have a group of players that can compete and challenge for the Play-Off's, but they need a manager in charge that can motivate and inspire them to believe in them selves. Sadly this is not Clough.

This sums it up for me.

I think Clough deserves some credit for sorting the wage budget and keeping us from turning into Portsmouth. Keeping us from being relegated which was on the cards season before last. But when it comes to man management he has been woeful. Tactically in second half's for three season we have suffered from his negativity. I do believe we have a group of players that can compete and challenge for the Play-Off's, but they need a manager in charge that can motivate and inspire them to believe in them selves. Sadly this is not Clough.

someone agrees with me!!!!!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I'll have a go at contributing. It's a collective message and not aimed at RamNut.

The people having a pop now are mainly the same people who were having a pop three years ago, two years ago, last year.

For at least three years I've been reading from buffoons who keep telling me this guy is taking us down. Who keep tellling me he doesnt know how to play winning football. Who keep telling me how awful it is to have to watch derby county and how he only wants us playing awful football. Then I have my own eyes.

I've listened to it for the at least 3 years and you know what. I can't be arsed to argue about it anymore.

You've been wrong so many times in the past that your opinion should already be worthless yet somehow you keep going.

You carry on and keep telling me he'll take us down. I'm pleased it makes you happy.

Me on the other hand. When it comes to talking about football I prefer to get things right.

We are in better shape than we've been for years.

I'll have a go at contributing. It's a collective message and not aimed at RamNut.

The people having a pop now are mainly the same people who were having a pop three years ago, two years ago, last year.

For at least three years I've been reading from buffoons who keep telling me this guy is taking us down. Who keep tellling me he doesnt know how to play winning football. Who keep telling me how awful it is to have to watch derby county and how he only wants us playing awful football. Then I have my own eyes.

I've listened to it for the at least 3 years and you know what. I can't be arsed to argue about it anymore.

You've been wrong so many times in the past that your opinion should already be worthless yet somehow you keep going.

You carry on and keep telling me he'll take us down. I'm pleased it makes you happy.

Me on the other hand. When it comes to talking about football I prefer to get things right.

As a happy clapper, I suppose I'm bound to like this. I think he's done a decent job too. I don't think we're anywhere near top 6 level, irrespective of the manager. I also think that he makes mistakes - could be that he's human after all! I believe we've a better squad now than before - but it's all relative.

If people look at it objectively, they'll see someone who has been doing his best over the years to get a number of overpaid no hopers out of the Club, replaced by younger and cheaper players with their best years to come. I'm prepared to give him longer. I don't expect us to achieve heights that are clearly above us. I don't really understand why some folks [apart from our Forest followers] seem to be so pleased that he's struggling.

Since when ?

I understand your fustration, given that we won't go down and haven't for the past 3 years or so.. But I'd hardly call some people and myself included a buffoon for having doubts and pointing out basic errors that NC does as a manager..

Those that say he doesn't know how to play winning football have a valid point.. He has something like a 30% win record, that's 70% of our games that we either draw or lose.. We're yet to have a season where we've won more than we've lost and have yet to progress from the first round of the league cup (if you want to be picky)

Just because he hasn't taken us down doesn't mean he's done a great job.. There is no one or the other, success and failure have wider margins..

You're right in one context though.. We do have a better squad now than we've had for the past 4 seasons.. NC has done that, he's made the changes and improved us as a squad.. But, and heres the key point.. What happens if our league position doesn't improve? Who is to blame then?

There are so many things to like about NC and his tenure here.. His team have cleaned up the acadmey, he's a Derby man and knows the fans, he's united the club under one, he and his coaching staff have brought a real structure to the club where everyone knows their roles, he has signed some decent players, he has lowered the wage bill to it's healthiest level in years etc.. But if he can't produce a winning and (importantly for me) an entertaining team then he's simply failing at the most important part of his job and the other stuff sort of becomes irrelevant..

Agree with a lot of Bris' post.

Clough needs to generate belief and confidence in his young players now and encourage a mindset that says "we are not scared of anybody". Be brave enough to keep the ball, keep passing and probing even if its going against us.

The majority of the fans will respond to this and get behind the team and manager accordingly.

I think we are only one talismanic player away from a decent championship squad.

Think Igor, Robbie Van Der Laan, someone of that ilk. That x factor of leadership on the pitch.

Short term, we need a bit of luck at wanky wolves on Satdee!

Yes, clough may have made some mistakes. Everyone makes them even fergie. The art is learning from them. the basis of a good football team are being built at derby that will serve us well long term. Young players not ex premier players at that end of their career. Derby will finish top 10 this year. Some luck and momentum may get us in playoff. We need that team to consolidate as a very good championship side this year and target promotion next year. That way premier football is sustainable and not what happened last time we go promoted.

Win the war not battles

Ps: we do need a leader on that pitch though. For all savages faults he was a leader.

Chris houghton, tony Mowbray, are a couple that I can think off that had to reduce the wage bill, whilst having a negative spend, also didn't Birmingham and Sunderland did it as well recently.

I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong, but at the end of the day clough has yet not pulled up any trees in where we have finished the league and there are plenty of managers who have.

Hopefully clough can be one of them, I am still to be convinced after 3 years but we shall see, anyway the debate has become a bit tiresome for me, let's hope in 10 games time you are talking about a successfull run as that's more fun.

Until then I'll refrain from any more comments :-)

Chris Hughton managed a Newcastle side who even after cutting the wage bill was certain favourites for a quick return, and in fact, anything but an immediate return would have been considered a failure. The same could be said with his time with Birmingham where he did fail to get them up. Put bluntly, that Birmingham side should never have gone down from where they were and were still a mighty strong side on paper in this division. So no, I wouldn't count him as a success story whilst hacking and slashing the wage bill.

Tony Mowbray in his time with Middlesbrough is in a more similar position to Nigel, but he and his side are still in this division. If you're referring to West Brom, that's a whole other kettle of fish. The main difference here is I still think the squad Nigel inherited was worse than the one that Mowbray got. People seem to forget what Nigel actually got when he arrived here.

Archived