Positive Vocal Support

Well the olympics have just about come to completion. Apart from the fantastic efforts of the sportsmen and women what stood out for me was the massive feel good factor of positive support. All the competitors to a man (or woman) said they were inspired by the backing. Question: Could Derby muster up such positive support? Could football muster up such positive support? Not sure if this is in the right section but to me it's about the Rams!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the olympics have just about come to completion. Apart from the fantastic efforts of the sportsmen and women what stood out for me was the massive feel good factor of positive support. All the competitors to a man (or woman) said they were inspired by the backing. Question: Could Derby muster up such positive support? Could football muster up such positive support? Not sure if this is in the right section but to me it's about the Rams!

It's not hard to make it so. The stadium announcer needs to set the tone, reminding people not to swear and to respect the opposition. Our fans are obsessed with the word s&*t and rubbishing the other team. We worry too much about Nottingham Forest. Swearing about them doesn't help the team or anyone else. Football has to get some respect back and we fans can help in that, just as the Olympic fans impressed the world.

If this was the case, Liverpool would have won the premier league every season since it started, and stoke every one of their home games in the prem.

Now I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference, it does. And anyway, do you go to nid-week games? Great atmosphere, that's why so many fixtures have changed to friday nights.

if its marketed right.... you can get away with owt. re; the olympics.... nice to see a running race, throwing and that,,cycling... great stuff. but....... 2 weeks later and the same old questions are still there.... just a few billion down... but we'll call the "olympic park" the "queen liz park of...blah blah.." and be really proud of ourselves for holding a corporate event whilst nationally retaining the little integrity we are supposed to have. athletics doesnt have a clan mentality surrounding it... its always likely to have observers rather than supporters... its a spectacle.... the individual goes further than the others. the fans in football are as much as the team really..... you support the club not the athletes. if derby were in the conference... id be p*ssed off... but i'd still be a derby fan..... its incomparible to the olympics.... its just people watching the modern gods. which is great. anyroad.......

olympics ha ha

Hmm, supporting our country in a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, the biggest event in the world with billions watching on tv, the competitors the very best on the planet at the "home" games where demand far outstrips tickets meaning only the most passionate of 64 million people are able to get tickets? The support in the stadia was good? Really? no ****......

If we can install the Olympic spirit in to our players then perhaps our supporters may respond better and create an incredible atmosphere to emulate the Olympic Stadium.

Then again I might be one of those 99% of fans who have been described as thick as pig poo in a previous post by Tinman

If this was the case, Liverpool would have won the premier league every season since it started, and stoke every one of their home games in the prem.

Now I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference, it does. And anyway, do you go to nid-week games? Great atmosphere, that's why so many fixtures have changed to friday nights.

A slightly odd comment, Liverpool is as quiet as any ground in the country week to week for league games. A huge OOT following, they do better in odd big Cup games when more Scousers can get hold of tickets. You are much more likely to get a good atmosphere at Goodison.

As for the midweek games, I take it you forgot the cold winter ones last season, when the ground was half-full and silent. The decision to move games to Friday nights is ludicrous.

We saw the bronze medal mens footie match at the Millenium Stadium. The atmosphere was great, really, the crowd did a fair few Mexican waves which when I see them on the telly I think they're a bit meh to be honest but it was hard not to get involved.

There were some English fans (or they might have been Welsh) sat behind us singing ..."cos we support Korea, Korea, Korea....woooooo-ooo-oooooh...." other than that, there wasn't much singing but a stack of voovoozelas were blowing which got on me nerves. And there was loads of screaming from the fans when the opposite team attacked, that gets a tad annoying after the first 10 times.

I did say to Dav that although it was great, colourful, loud and all the rest of it, it wasn't PP. Give me our stadium anyday, moans and all, including the dark and freezing Tuesday nights.

Nothing says "I'm bored" like a Mexican wave. Tbf they were impressive......... in 1926.

Wish I'd of known what the Olympics was going to be like. I'd loved to have gone. The atmosphere did look special.

You'll never get that at PP. 'we paid £425 for this season ticket. That's proof of my support....... Aggggh! Derby it's too easy, look at that!! Roberts is holding position and not running 30 yards to apply pressure to that RB. Your ***** Derby!!!'

Unfortunately football its in its own little world.

Its not cricket, its not golf.

Its not very sportsman like.

Rrather than players playing honestly and the officials respecting that, its all about cheating, appealing for everything, and baying for blood in the way fans and players alike try to get other players send off to gain an advantage.

if its marketed right.... you can get away with owt. re; the olympics.... nice to see a running race, throwing and that,,cycling... great stuff. but....... 2 weeks later and the same old questions are still there.... just a few billion down... but we'll call the "olympic park" the "queen liz park of...blah blah.." and be really proud of ourselves for holding a corporate event whilst nationally retaining the little integrity we are supposed to have. athletics doesnt have a clan mentality surrounding it... its always likely to have observers rather than supporters... its a spectacle.... the individual goes further than the others. the fans in football are as much as the team really..... you support the club not the athletes. if derby were in the conference... id be p*ssed off... but i'd still be a derby fan..... its incomparible to the olympics.... its just people watching the modern gods. which is great.

All these 'facts' are why there will always be a very different 'flavour' to football supporters, but if we(dcfc) played 'modern footballing gods', the atmosphere would be vastly improved, its hard to be ecstatic when one watches 'mediocrity' im afraid, how ecstatic were the crowds at the Olympic match between Belarus v Gambia e.g.

having already witnessed the defeat at Belper, the draw against Sunderland and the poor performance at Chesterfield, i can truly say that most of the light entertainment came at chesterfield, where in a throng of rams we were treated to more than a sprinkling of "thick as pig manure" comments from clearly "refreshed" away fans....my particular favourite was when a steward was trying to direct one of our "swine" to the exit toilet before he soiled himself....his thanks and manners were a striking tribute to us all.

"look mate, i am derby , you are chesterfield, so F@@k off"

worth the admission price on its own

Archived