Les Green

Hucknall Ram

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such sad news. RIP Les and condolences to the family.

I love the story that went round when Brian and Les first met. Brian asked "If you really jumped do you think you could touch the crossbar.

When we watched him I was constantly surprised at his skill and agility in goal as a smaller than most goalkeeper.

This is sad, sad news for those of us of a certain age who watched Les play for the Rams. He would have been 71 this year.

Signed by us from Rochdale - he had previously played for Clough and Taylor at Hartlepool - he was ever present for two and half seasons and part of the second division winning side in 68/69 as well as that superb league cup run in 68/69, before he was dropped after one of the best matches I ever saw at the BBG on Boxing Day (I think) 1970 v Man U. 4-4. He never played for us again as Colin Boulton's form thereafter was superb.

Even in the mud, even with his relative lack of height he was a wonderfully agile keeper and served us well through the early glory days. We were the biggest club he ever played for and if not a true, true legend (an overused description) he certainly played a memorable and significant part in our early successes. This fan for one has a tear in his eye and sadness in his heart tonight.

A great bloke and will be sadly missed. He was before my time but I remember his contribution to the club's farewell to the Baseball Ground video. Much of it was the usual backslapping and reminiscing, but it was only Les's comments at the end which brought a tear to the eye. He really loved everything about the club, and he still looked gutted over 20 years later that he had ever had to leave Derby.

RIP Les.

Great keeper i remember on the old det site asking what happened to him think it was Froggg informed me he was a shoe sales man.

His rams stint ended in a cloud though if i remember correctly a 4 4 draw against man u when he turned up worse for wear and never played for us again? maybe uttox can remember?

I was there for that save against Jimmy Greaves

Archived