Callum Ball

DerbyRam!

Porter showed, if only briefly, in those early games something that we needed, something that Sammon offers now. He held up the ball, and he scored goals, two things we lacked at the time, and two things we didn't see until Sammon arrived. Sammon certainly isn't a goalscorer, but he has surprisingly (again, I said upon him signing that I'd be more than happy with 8 from him considering the type of player he is) he has scored 7 so far.

As a striker in the championship he has got to make double figures no matter what his style of play is. To be fair Porter showed promise and I 100% agree Sammon is what we need. However I also think we need someone to play along side him, Ward is perfect but ward may not necessarily be consistent enough

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Porter, so many people seem to blame Porter (or Clough) for that hip injury.

Ball will also turn 21 by the first October season back with us, if he stays with us next season.

Porter was a poor player though, scored a couple at the start but was slow, cumbersome and didn't score many goals, doing the same at League One level.

Porter was a poor player though, scored a couple at the start but was slow, cumbersome and didn't score many goals, doing the same at League One level.

Scored some goals early, beyond that he was hampered by injuries. I find it very hard to judge him for that reason.

Danny graham was in the premier league, personally I just don't see a lot to rate in ball.

What are his good points? Holds the ball up sometimes? Sometimes finishes ok??

He also is possibly the slowest 19 year old I've ever seen

Holds up the ball, finishes. When it comes to a 19 year striker, what more do you want? Theo's quick, do you want another Theo?

if porter had an injury free career with us he wouldve been great.

from what ive seen of ball. i dont really know. i dont think he has the potential of bennett hughes or even OB, league i think will be his level in the future possibly championship for a club the size of Barnsley.

hopefully im wrong and he leads us to the champions league final 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

also he doesn't look like a striker, more like a defender.

Yes, he will undoubtedly learn a lot from his experience. I hope he comes back wiser. You don't have to be fast or tricky if you discover the knack of finding the back of the net.

Jimmy Greaves was fast over 1 yard.

It was all he needed to become the best English striker I have seen in my lifetime.

Jimmy Greaves was fast over 1 yard.

It was all he needed to become the best English striker I have seen in my lifetime.

he also had a brain judging by the clips I've seen of him, don't get me wrong i think Ball has the instinct to score at any level, just his ability isn't quite there yet and actual intelligence to out think defenders is almost none exsistant. The games I've seen him play, it's like he feels he can just bulldoze teenagers like in the youth games, any half decent defender out thinks him and shuts him completely out of the game, if he wisen's up and uses his mind better, I.E releasing the ball quicker, chasing down more and hassling defenders more he would be a lot better player!

Chris Porter wasn't quick over 1 yard and def not 10 yards! He did everything in slo-motion! He wasn't a bad finisher when he could finally get himself into a good position but I've seen Sun league footballers with more pace! Very very average signing with little potential to improve! Can't even get in at Sheff Utd under Danny Wilson!

Chris Porter wasn't quick over 1 yard and def not 10 yards! He did everything in slo-motion! He wasn't a bad finisher when he could finally get himself into a good position but I've seen Sun league footballers with more pace! Very very average signing with little potential to improve! Can't even get in at Sheff Utd under Danny Wilson!

When we first signed him he was incredible - was very intelligent, quick and a great finisher.

Then he had a hip replacement, and he just couldn't move - He now needs a shot of pain killers into his hip before every game... feel bad for the guy, for anyone to suffer an injury to ruin their career is quite rough... he is a trooper for soldiering through and I always look out for him when he plays.

When we first signed him he was incredible - was very intelligent, quick and a great finisher.

Then he had a hip replacement, and he just couldn't move - He now needs a shot of pain killers into his hip before every game... feel bad for the guy, for anyone to suffer an injury to ruin their career is quite rough... he is a trooper for soldiering through and I always look out for him when he plays.

Don't think it was a hip replacement, was it? It really wouldn't be a good idea to play football with a lump of titanium stuck down the end of your femur.

he also had a brain judging by the clips I've seen of him, don't get me wrong i think Ball has the instinct to score at any level, just his ability isn't quite there yet and actual intelligence to out think defenders is almost none exsistant. The games I've seen him play, it's like he feels he can just bulldoze teenagers like in the youth games, any half decent defender out thinks him and shuts him completely out of the game, if he wisen's up and uses his mind better, I.E releasing the ball quicker, chasing down more and hassling defenders more he would be a lot better player!

Yes, the 'quick over one yard' is a reference to hiis speed of thought. He would be on the end of a chance before the defender was even aware of the danger. Ian Rush (ok, not English) had a similar ability, and I think King Zak wasn't far behind.

Porter was incredible? Really? I remember him scoring two against Swansea, one a rebound and can't recall the other. Looked a decent signing who had a very debut I think it was? Then got injured repeatedly, was quite a poor player on his return.

Not a bad finisher, poor mobility though.

If he was incredible I'd love to see your reaction when you discover Lionel messi! A lot of people on here have very rose tinted glasses with regards to derby players for me. Sometimes pays to be objective and try and take personal feelings/loyalties out of the equation.

Porter was incredible? Really? I remember him scoring two against Swansea, one a rebound and can't recall the other. Looked a decent signing who had a very debut I think it was? Then got injured repeatedly, was quite a poor player on his return.

Not a bad finisher, poor mobility though.

If he was incredible I'd love to see your reaction when you discover Lionel messi! A lot of people on here have very rose tinted glasses with regards to derby players for me. Sometimes pays to be objective and try and take personal feelings/loyalties out of the equation.

I was referring to when we first signed him, and incredible is all relative - if we're talking about messi and ronaldo then I have never seen a Derby player that has been anything other than average that includes baiano stimac...etc

Porter showed early on that he was twice the player Howard was, then he got injured... hip problems never left him, and was discovered he didn't train and had to take injections to get through games, I thought he had a replacement - definitely had surgery on it.

You can see a good player a mile off, in terms of intelligence, movement and touch.. I saw that in him in his first 2/3 games, thought we had played an absolute blinder to beat Cardiff to his signature, alas it turned out bad.

I can't stand players who just don't have the effort to play at this level, for instance Varney just seemed to slumber around losing the ball.. a player who gets injured and is never the same, i'll never begrudge them.

I agree totally about players effort and injuries etc.

Personally thought Steve Howard was a brilliant signing for derby, won so many games 1-0 with Howard getting the goal. Twice the player porter ever was for me.

Howard was good don't get me wrong, without sounding like Bris here - I knew he wasn't good enough technically for the premier league during that season though, pure effort and strength and was a fantastic target man but he did lose the ball quite a lot, and movement wasn't always the best. I know a lot was made of his heading, however would argue around 80% of the headers he won went no-where - he was at his best receiving the ball on his chest IMO.

Anyway that being said, one of my favourite Derby strikers of my time... I wanted him gone when we sold him though, I hoped we could spend the money elsewhere, shame really.

Callum Ball has some of the tools to make a top player and can develop in other areas. Will he play a big role for Derby? Hmm, not sure, but he'll make a career in football as a pro. Big unit, perhaps needs to grow into his strength a bit if you know what I mean. Good instinctive finisher as well. I'd like to see him get another couple of seasons based at Derby, even if out on loan a bit.

Archived