I love Jake Buxton (from the heart)

sage

I get the feeling that you're going to pick up specifically on goals that may be Buxton's fault (and possibly quite enjoy it), but not when Keogh, or any other defender makes an error. If so, that's sad.

There will be some [not aiming this at Curtains] who will analyse every goal conceded and blame individual defenders/Clough/Glick [even if he's left]/the Board/Owners. For some folks, that's their main interest - ie being negative. It's dead easy and they're bound to have their day because teams let goals in.

So, Shackell will be brought out on the forum very quickly if we concede a few early on. Lack of creation, enter Maguire centre stage. No goals, shouldn't have sold Steve Davies [if he goes]. Being wise after the event isn't such a great skill. I'm more cautious than most but still only concentrate on positives. If we lose a few, then so be it. That's life. I can cope with it. I don't need to go to freeze frame to see which defender was standing in the wrong place or spend too much time deciding where someone who has left the Club would have been standing if he'd still been with us.

I think we're putting a few more pieces together. I'm quite confident that we won't be strong enough throughout to go up this season - but we're getting nearer. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Bucko as a back up that's why Clough has signed Keogh. I think Bucko is a great club man. What centre back partnership will be Cloughs first choice !

Well with Clough talking about Keogh being a right sided centre half I think that means Buxton will be is partner as he is like to play left side centre half. Also with him being given the number 5 shirt I would think he is front runner. I like him as back up but I dont really think he is good enough for a full season week in week out but we shall see.

Might work well. As for what the thread is about according to uttoxeter . Jake is an Adonis right ha ha

No no curtains...pull yer sen together man. This thread is not about Jake's football ability (although some think he's ok), he's a bloke. He's one of the lads. He's yer mate who'll drag you away and stick yer in a taxi when yer making an arse of yersen. He's the bloke you would want to be next to you in the trenches. He's hard but in a quiet way. He's loyal, dependable and good at his job.

He's our Jake.

He scored a 90th minute winner against forest.

He's as brave as a lion.

sob... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wub:' />

Are you lot on this board deluded? Having seen him play more games than anyone on this forum, Jakes never been more than an average Division 2 player. He gives 100% effort in almost every game he plays granted but effort doesn't make up for lack of skill or ability. When he played for Mansfield, he had a quality centre back to support him (Baptiste - now looking to get back in the Premier League) who made up for his lack of pace & positioning. Watching him last night at The Mill only proved the above points - Slow & not very good. It's going to be a long season for Derby if Jakes the first choice CB.

Up the STAGS - Season Ticket Holder from Baker St

Are you lot on this board deluded? Having seen him play more games than anyone on this forum, Jakes never been more than an average Division 2 player. He gives 100% effort in almost every game he plays granted but effort doesn't make up for lack of skill or ability. When he played for Mansfield, he had a quality centre back to support him (Baptiste - now looking to get back in the Premier League) who made up for his lack of pace & positioning. Watching him last night at The Mill only proved the above points - Slow & not very good. It's going to be a long season for Derby if Jakes the first choice CB.

Up the STAGS - Season Ticket Holder from Baker St

Boycie? Daveo? Remove this WUM! How dare he say a bad word about King Jake.

[size=6]OFF WITH HIS HEAD[/size].

[size=4]Also, Stag, we saw Bucko play about 20 games last season, when he was match fit. You saw him play 45 minutes in our first pre-season game.[/size]

He may have seen him play when he was at Mansfield?

He's hardly played he's been injured the last year or so and mostly played in the reserves. Watched Burton reserves take Bucko and Naylor apart when Pesh was Brewers manager at Christchurch meadow.

What is the relevance of that? or indeed how Buxton played for Mansfield 4-5 years ago. He played 20 games for us last year and didn't have a bad game. I thought only optimists clutched at straws.

I like how Shackell went from being right up there as our best player to being about the same as Barker and Buxton........ Might look at last seasons match ratings in Matchday Talk.

8/10.....9/10......... 9/10.....

Sage Buxton was awful at Posh last season at right back. After Leacock had a bad game against the Red Dogs against Tyson he was hardly seen again. Bucko is an average centre back. Stop press Shackell was also poor at Posh we let 4 in and lost 4-3 after Theo put us 2 up and then missed a sitter. But all this is irrelevant because you know best.

He isn't a right back. How is a pre season friendly from last season a valued judgement on a player, when you have solid evidence of league games last season. I just don't understand why you are trying to go out of your way to be negative.

Sage it was a CCC game against Posh. I'm not going out my way to be negative. Why you always so positive. It seems to me still that we are short this season. I hope to be proved wrong.

You have highlighted a game out of position with Doyle having a mare in front of him and a pre-season game but ignored 20 good games at CB. I'm sorry but that is going out of your way. In an ideal world Buxton wouldn't be our 2nd choice CB and but for Barker's injury, he wouldn't be. However he played consistently well last season at CB.

We are a quality CB, CM, CF and a cover LB short of being a definite top six team. Hopefully the latter two positions will be sorted by the start of the season and we'll ok for top half. There are things to be critical of, without resorting to more tenuous criticisms.

• 1 month later...

Not seen this posted anywhere else so here it is:

[url=http://www.football-league.co.uk/features/20120910/career-ladder-jake-buxton_2293307_2913149]http://www.football-...2293307_2913149

[size=3]

Name: [url=http://www.dcfc.co.uk/team/player-profile/index.aspx?playerid=255259&tcmuri=32687]Jake Buxton

Position: Defender

Date of Birth: 04/03/1985

Club: Derby County

Previous Clubs: Mansfield Town, Alfreton Town (loan), Burton Albion.[/size][size=3]

What do you remember about your first ever match?

I think we played Crewe Alexandra when I was with Mansfield Town in what was the LDV Vans Trophy at the time. I think we lost 4-0 and Rob Hulse got all four. I later played with Rob at Derby County so there was a little bit of banter when I first signed for Derby.[/size][size=3]

Who was your childhood hero?

Paul Gascoigne. It was the era of Italia '90 and he was just an outstanding player.[/size][size=3]

When did you realise you had a chance to progress in the game?

Probably when I was about 16. I was one of the first YTS in my year to get a pro contract.[/size][size=3]

Which coach has had the biggest influence on your career?

I'd have to say Stuart Watkiss, who was the youth team coach at Mansfield and went on to be the first team manager. He was probably the last coach I had who sat me down and did one-on-one defensive coaching with me.[/size][size=3]

What did you spend your first wage packet on?

Probably a pair of boots, to be honest - a pair of World Cups.[/size][size=3]

Does your squad number have a special meaning to you?

No, not at all. It doesn't matter what number is on the back of my shirt.[/size][size=3]

Who did you last swap shirts with?

It was a long time ago, but it was Robert Huth when he was at Middlesbrough. We played them in the FA Cup, live on BBC, when I was at Mansfield. I think it was about five years ago now.[/size][size=3]

How has the game changed for the better since you became a pro?

I'm not sure in general but whilst I've been at Derby the quality of players has increased, but that's probably down to our gaffer [Nigel Clough]. The lads we have at Derby are top lads and they are a different breed to any other players I have played alongside.[/size][size=3]

If you could have coached yourself when you were a teenager, what advice would you have passed on?

Be a coach yourself - coach the people around you whilst you're playing. If you help the people around you it can also get you out of trouble. It can also improve you as a player.[/size][size=3]

If you stay in the game at the end of your career, what will you do? a) Manager 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> Coach c) Scout d) Physio e) Pundit?

I'd like to be a manager but I wouldn't like to manage at the level I play at now [[url=http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/ChampionshipHome/0,,10794,00.html]npower Championship]. I wouldn't mind managing at a youth team level or lower league. The pressure of managing in the top two levels in England is big and you go throughout your whole career trying to deal with pressure.[/size][size=3]

I also like the idea of working with kids, where you could pass on the experiences you picked up as a player and I think you would get more of a buzz out of seeing one of your youth team players make it in a first-team. Managing at a youth team level would be a massive achievement for me and I would really enjoy it.[/size][size=3]

What do you want to be best remembered for at the end of your career?

An honest and down-to-earth lad. [/size]

Archived