Derby County Statement - Safe Standing.

therams69

Really good to see things progressing very well.

In answers to a few a points raised. When I walked into the AWD Arena in Hannover I can tell you it felt like a proper football stadium and it was empty. You could just feel it. I often walk into an empty Pride Park, I dont get this feeling.

Introducing 'safe standing' will ensure that standing at football is safe. It happens now so lets make it safe. You are never going to eliminate fans standing at football so you may as well make it safe!

So glad that Derby are in favour.

Long way to go yet but looking good.

Nick

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the away end should be seated simply because I'd want the away support to be as muted as possible WW, it's a bit like when Bobby Gould was in charge of Wimbledon, they used to turn the heating off in the away teams changing rooms, petty, but it was all geared to gaining slight advantages.

If our "end" was safe standing it would generate more noise, lift the players giving us that slight edge. I'm not explaining myself as well as I would like but basically we don't want to encourage away fans to be more vociferous than us. 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Agree EHR to a degree but would also like away areas to have safe standing.

When in Hannover they probably had about 20% I think it was for the away fans and the other areas seated.

I would as an away fan like a choice when I go Derby away whether or not I can stand. Same for folk that wish to sit can do so.

It will be up to each individual club whether they decide to introduce any kind of safe standing once legalised.

Following numerous discussions with Derby I am happy to say we would introduce it!

Nick

I'm really happy it's got this far, what has upset me listening to the radio yesterday was all the attention given to the Hilsbrough families. They are never going to approach this subject impartially and understandably so, but very little that I heard explained the MASSIVE difference in the modern ticketed systems and safety levels compared to 20 years ago:-(

Hopefully the discussion will be more balanced going forward.

I don't get why standing is getting blamed so much either??? surely the police letting people into and already overcrowded area with fences was to blame?? even if the leppings lane end was all seated surley there would still have been a crush???

maybe I just don't know enough about it all

The irony is that 'the Kop' with safe-standing would be transformed into something many times better than the current set-up ...

Keep up the good work Nick!

Thanks mate will do!

First things are first where as Derby are concerned and that is the move to the South Stand for the vocal fans.

Pretty convinced this will go ahead for next season.

Then its the waiting game for when safe standing will be introduced. I think 3-4 years maybe. In my opinion the safe standing needs to be in the South Stand as noise in the corner of a stadium is just wasted like it currently is.

Okay I am getting ahead of myself here but imagine say 5000 fans all safe standing in the South Stand with flags and banners, it really will be a picture to see. And just maybe the 7-14 year olds in other areas of Pride Park will say "mum, dad, I want to be in there when older" - something that cannot be said for todays generation of youngsters.

I can only dream I guess but when I joined the safe standing revolution I didnt quite think we would be where we are now!

Nick

Can't see red seats taking off at PP my bad sense of humour asidelike how they can turn into seats

If it's done properly (like at Dortmund), then the whole assembly can be unbolted and seats dropped into place for those competitions where all-seater stadia are a must (not that we're likely to be in Europe for a while, of course). I believe that it takes around 2 days to do the conversion either way - and the Dortmund Kop is huge.

If it's done properly (like at Dortmund), then the whole assembly can be unbolted and seats dropped into place for those competitions where all-seater stadia are a must (not that we're likely to be in Europe for a while, of course). I believe that it takes around 2 days to do the conversion either way - and the Dortmund Kop is huge.

There is a key that basically just unfolded the seat from the rail

There is a key that basically just unfolded the seat from the rail

Yes, that's a different design to the one I saw a few years ago. When GSE first arrived at Derby I interviewed Tom Glick and 'Safe Standing' was one of the topics we discussed. He was very much in favour because it was seen to enhance the 'supporter match-day experience' (ugh!), but equally he felt that it would not happen for 'at least 5 years'.

Yes, that's a different design to the one I saw a few years ago. When GSE first arrived at Derby I interviewed Tom Glick and 'Safe Standing' was one of the topics we discussed. He was very much in favour because it was seen to enhance the 'supporter match-day experience' (ugh!), but equally he felt that it would not happen for 'at least 5 years'.

It would be great if he could convince his new employers that its a great concept that deserves backing! To have Man Citeh on board would be a great leap forward..

Man city are now on board.

Looking more likely now prem sides are getting involved.

Not technically true I am afraid. I got this checked out.

In any of the press reports there is no direct comment from the club saying this.

I think they have fed it to selective journalists to get a response from the fans before perhaps officially coming out and saying they want safe standing.

Alot of premiership clubs are keen privately but have not gone public yet.

Welcome to the fold Exeter and Aldershot who are the 2 latest clubs to publically want safe standing.

Nick

Not technically true I am afraid. I got this checked out.

In any of the press reports there is no direct comment from the club saying this.

I think they have feeded it to selective journalists to get a response from the fans before perhaps officially coming out and saying they want safe standing.

Alot of premiership clubs are keen privately but have not gone public yet.

Welcome to the fold Exeter and Aldershot who are the 2 latest clubs to publically want safe standing.

Nick

Thought Villa had come out as public supporters?

Fans still stand in all-seater stadiums, I do every match, and surges can still happen at big matches with the chairs being dangerous, safe standing is safer than seats, fact

Yep, the barriers would make it impossible for surges, which isn't a bad thing. I nearly got a broken wrist once. Loads of bodies crushing you and a steel barrier in front of you isn't funny. Luckily it didn't last long.

Archived