Derby County Statement - Safe Standing.

therams69

Not technically true I am afraid. I got this checked out.

In any of the press reports there is no direct comment from the club saying this.

I think they have fed it to selective journalists to get a response from the fans before perhaps officially coming out and saying they want safe standing.

Alot of premiership clubs are keen privately but have not gone public yet.

Welcome to the fold Exeter and Aldershot who are the 2 latest clubs to publically want safe standing.

Nick

Only a matter of time with Glick there. He's the commercial director or summat

Glick : we need to reduce our 100m losses - attract more fans by increasing the capacity give them standing.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, the barriers would make it impossible for surges, which isn't a bad thing. I nearly got a broken wrist once. Loads of bodies crushing you and a steel barrier in front of you isn't funny. Luckily it didn't last long.

Look at music festivals/concerts - I was that hot and squished I blacked out, fortunately one of the crowd helped.

Article on the BBC website yesterday about rising German football violence - the article did mention a link to standing fans at the grounds as something that should be reviewed although it seemed unlikely as there were also problems at all seaters - I do think however this could get jumped on by the anti-standing people - if we use German football as the example of a safe system and their crowd violence is rising sharply it will be difficult whether the standing portions of the ground contribute or not. To be fair it did mention that standing spots are significantly cheaper for fans than seats and this for me is the main crux of the argument - since hillsborough ticket prices have risen to the point where it is a serious financial outlay - giving people the option to stand at a much reduced rate may be the key to bringing back large numbers of fans for whom cost outweighed benefit over the last few years.

The majority of violence in Germany stems from religious and political differences, there are a number of rivalries similar to the Old Firm in that sense unfortunately. A couple of politicians caused a fuss by blaming standing areas and threatened to cut away allocations and standing areas, fortunately almost all German clubs have a large % fan owned so this suggestion was crushed immediately.

The majority of violence in Germany stems from religious and political differences, there are a number of rivalries similar to the Old Firm in that sense unfortunately. A couple of politicians caused a fuss by blaming standing areas and threatened to cut away allocations and standing areas, fortunately almost all German clubs have a large % fan owned so this suggestion was crushed immediately.

Football violence in Germany stemming from religion!! Where would that be??

Hamburger SV v St Pauli, not as entrenched as the Old Firm but it is an aspect of the rivalry between the ultra firms in my opinion.

Isn't that just a rivalry between two teams from the same city. St Pauli do see themselves as a unique club in Germany and in a lot of ways they are right. But nothing to do with religion.

Isn't that just a rivalry between two teams from the same city. St Pauli do see themselves as a unique club in Germany and in a lot of ways they are right. But nothing to do with religion.

It's certainly not an on-field rivalry because St Pauli infrequently trouble the Bundesliga. They are popular with the ladies and of course were the first German team to publicly rid themselves of any right-wing loonies. They also run out to 'Hell's Bells' by AC/DC, which in my mind makes them super-cool.

Incidentally, I'm extremely deaf (have to wear hearing-aids) so I could easily be mistaken, but did I not hear the dulcet tones of my favourite Geordie Brian Johnson singing 'Back in Black' just before kickoff recently at Pride Park?

I used to stand on the Popside week after week and got jostled but never injured.

I once had to sit at the Hawthorns and grazed my leg quite painfully when I stood up.

Bring back standing. But no cages, just those metal railing things that you leant against and which kids could duck under if the crowd surged forward.

It is probably a bit like the west ham v millwall rivalry. Occasionally in the same league but local to each other.

I just thought it odd that badlands was attributing the football violence in Germany to in part religion.

I'd argue religion plays a part to some extent within most European ultra groups. In Germany it is probably political stances that most of the violence stems from, i chose Hamburg SV v St Pauli as i know Hamburg SV Ultras have a strong relationship with Rangers as they share the same Protestant and Loyalist ideologies, though i am aware that is not the only reason for their friendship.

Anyway back on topic, it's great to see overwhelming support for safe standing from both the fans, and those within the club, at DCFC.

I used to stand on the Popside week after week and got jostled but never injured.

I once had to sit at the Hawthorns and grazed my leg quite painfully when I stood up.

Bring back standing. But no cages, just those metal railing things that you leant against and which kids could duck under if the crowd surged forward.

That will never happen, I'm afraid. The whole point of safe standing is you get your own space - and that's what you didn't get with old fashioned terraces with barriers.

I'd argue religion plays a part to some extent within most European ultra groups. In Germany it is probably political stances that most of the violence stems from, i chose Hamburg SV v St Pauli as i know Hamburg SV Ultras have a strong relationship with Rangers as they share the same Protestant and Loyalist ideologies, though i am aware that is not the only reason for their friendship.

Anyway back on topic, it's great to see overwhelming support for safe standing from both the fans, and those within the club, at DCFC.

I suspect that any problems are simply caused by football rivalries, nothing deeper than that. Its not important but I fail to see how they could share Rangers loyalist ideologies.

I suspect that any problems are simply caused by football rivalries, nothing deeper than that. Its not important but I fail to see how they could share Rangers loyalist ideologies.

Rangers loyal to the Queen.......The queen is german...........Rangers fans are known as Huns..........

Hello! Long time reader, first time poster, thought I could add something to this discussion. I used to live in Hamburg and adopted St.Pauli as my team whilst out there. There is very little violence based on religion (if any) it's far more likely to be on political leanings, especially with St.Pauli being so famously left wing and a lot of clubs usually having some right wing elements. This has mainly been seen with clubs from the former east who have strong right wing ultras. Any violence I have seen had had nothing to do with standing, fireworks being launched or objects thrown can easily happen with seating.

The Rangers/Celtic links are purely coincidences by the way from fans of both clubs having attended games and got along. The atmosphere at St.Pauli sadly has always topped even my best experiences at the BBG and PP.

Archived