Chris Maguire

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maguire did very well at Portsmouth fro what I saw, he created a few and scored a few but more importantly looked dangerous and was commended on it by winning player of the month at their place.

I think we should keep hold of him, but I don't know. I would expect him to do well in this division if given the chance however

What constitutes a chance?

The guy has had 8 chances in the first team to make an impression, 1 of which he did ok in. The remainder he was quite poor and on one occasion a liability. He was rubbish in pre season, has had all season in training to make an impression and yet he has failed to force his way through. I think he has had his chance and not taken it....

The guy has had 8 chances in the first team to make an impression, 1 of which he did ok in. The remainder he was quite poor and on one occasion a liability. He was rubbish in pre season, has had all season in training to make an impression and yet he has failed to force his way through. I think he has had his chance and not taken it....

He started 3 games, is that really a chance ??

Compared to Tyson, who started 13, I would say he hasnt been given a chance, except for when he did have a run of games in a blue shirt, when he actually looked quite useful.

However I think this argument has been done several times now :-)

He started 3 games, is that really a chance ??

Compared to Tyson, who started 13, I would say he hasnt been given a chance, except for when he did have a run of games in a blue shirt, when he actually looked quite useful.

However I think this argument has been done several times now :-)

this is what suggest to me something has cracked off behind close doors,

Pure and total speculation on my part but it's all we all have.

For all of those saying he hasn't had a chance. If this happened how would you handle it?

Chris comes in last year, keen to make a positive impression, in his first couple of training sessions, the little doggie shuttles they do indoors at Moor Farm, he's busting a gut, they get timed. He's up there with Bryson, Tyson, Brayford , Roberts and Theo in group one.

The couple of laps around Allestree Park and the cross country run through Breadsall Priory golf course. He's busting a gut and they get timed. Him Brayford, Mark O B are pushing each other giving it everything they have. he gets round the lake in under 7 minutes.

His weight is spot on at about 70k and he's looking after himself.

There are a couple of tasty "welcome to england" challenges thrown in from the lads and he says nowt. In fact he gives as good as he gets.

The management team expect 100% on every single session if you're fit, early signs are good.

Then when he's been around a couple of weeks.

He's not trying so hard with those shuittles - in fact he's never even close to his best times. He's gone from group one to group three which includes one of the goalies.

He doesn't like to do cross country, sees no sense in it and lags at the back. His time round the lake is nearly 15 seconds slower than it was pre-season. He just wants to play football.

He had a McDonalds, a game of snooker and two pints on Thursday after training, hell the game isn't for another 48 hours and he's not plaiying anwyay, why not?

The challenges that are going in now - he doesnt like them and starts "dollying" his foot in, "**** off Bucko, it's only training". While others are practising one and two touch drills he's trying to curl a 25 yard free kick into the top corner. He just wants to play football.

Would YOU still play him if you were the manager. Would you be entitled to leave him out if YOU were the manager.

Come on m8 I've watched him. Yes he sometimes gets a bit mardy but the manager watched him and Craig Brown had nothing but good words for Maguire. Is your assumption based on fact or fantasy. Chris lad good luck and all the best if u go to Sheff Wed. Maybe you'll have a laugh with there goalie.

Of course it's based on at least loosely on fantasy, it's why i said it's puire speculation. Having said that, I've seen it happen often enough to knmow that it does go on.

Just the same as I've seen a manager freeze a player out simply because he didnt like him. I've seen that less than mardy players though.

By the way I was pretty sure Sheff Wed have just signed Chris Kirkland on a free. I can't see that Stephen will be their number one next year. He'll have plenty of time to have a laugh and sharpen up his twittering unless he moves on.

Obviously this is all just speculation on my part, but I reckon it would probably damage his confidence a lot if he knew that deep down he wasn't wanted by the person who hired him. He's moved to a new team, a new place to live, etc - it's probably all quite unsettling for him, and that's compounded by a boss who shows no confidence in him.

Meanwhile he goes to another club, he's straight in the first team, he's allowed to express himself and voila! He's performing well again, partly because he feels needed and wanted again.

Generally I've been behind Clough all the way, but to my mind he's been pretty unfair on Maguire. Makes you wonder why they bothered signing him.

Obviously this is all just speculation on my part, but I reckon it would probably damage his confidence a lot if he knew that deep down he wasn't wanted by the person who hired him. He's moved to a new team, a new place to live, etc - it's probably all quite unsettling for him, and that's compounded by a boss who shows no confidence in him.

Meanwhile he goes to another club, he's straight in the first team, he's allowed to express himself and voila! He's performing well again, partly because he feels needed and wanted again.

Generally I've been behind Clough all the way, but to my mind he's been pretty unfair on Maguire. Makes you wonder why they bothered signing him.

That's a really balanced way of looking at the other side RamS. I fully agree with what you've written as well.

It can't have been easy for him coming down from Scotland and it would have been much easier had he been playing in a winning team for a manager who threw him in and said enjoy yourself.

I'm totally guessing that it snowballed from not a great start. I'm speculating as well that NC got a little bit cheesed off with something Chris did or didn't do. I'm speculating that It's nearly impssible to win over NC if you've lost him. He is very stubborn.

BUt I'm aslo speculating that Chris somewhere along the line might have decided to stick two fingers up to NC as well. If he's not playing me then I'm not changing. Unfortunately as in most jobs and probably rightly so. the manager wins and the manager gets backing from the guy at the top.

If he's not sold Chris just needs to change whatever it is that NC doesnt like and work as hard as he can. It's as simple as that.

Even then NC might be too far gone to give him another chance but at least Chris will walk out knowing he tried everything.

One thing is sure, he wont get back in by sulking and even at Portsmouth there were signs of losing his rag. He could easily have been sent off before he got the thirdd of his womnder goals at Portsmouth. Calm down, lose his narky or mardy strop and work his nuts off. The championship is the window to the premier league and if he's as good as he and some others think he should be doing all he can to get there.

Lee Croft.

He was left out of the team br Clough and left at the side to fester, he had no chance of getting back in the side but he worked hard and had a good pre season last year and forced his way back in.

Fair enough he ballsed it all up again and looks set to leave but he managed to turn Cloughies eye so Maguire has got a chance to do the same and I don't think the Pompey stint did him any harm.

That said I think Clough has a high standard as far as hard work goes (and why shouldn't he?) and it would be upto Maguire to keep his standard of workrate high.

I think this would be a cracking signing for Wednesday, as long as he can walk straight into the first team I think he'll flourish in this league like at Portsmouth, but once made to fight for his place just seemed he preferred to sulk than work hard, I remember at the time we signed him it was an anti-clough signing, a FLAIR player with a BAD attitude and that's exactly what we got.

[url=http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-owls-set-to-sign-derby-county-striker-chris-maguire-1-4652555]http://www.thestar.c...guire-1-4652555 [size=4]- SHEFFIELD Wednesday are expected to complete a deal to sign Derby County striker Chris Maguire early next week.

It is a move that has been tipped for several weeks, but The Star understands it is more likely to happen before another long-touted transfer, that of Anthony Gardner from Crystal Palace.[/size]

[size=4]Maguire, aged 23, joined Derby a year ago from Aberdeen but didn’t hold down a regular place and spent the final months of last season on loan at Portsmouth, who were relegated to League One.[/size]

[size=4]He arrived at Pride Park for a compensation fee believed to be worth £400,000.

He has two years left on his initial three-year contract.[/size]

Archived