James Caton

GeneralRam

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I quite liked him last night, got a bit of pace on him. He's a winger so will drift in and out of games as that is what they always do. He kept position well, had a good cross and seemed a tricky player. I'd be pleased if we got him, no reason why not to. Cheap back up with potential. If he doesn't, simply sell on in a couple of years time similar to Ben Pringle. I'd rather have him here with something to prove than a mid 30's player for back up who'd only be here to pick up his retirement pay...

There was alot of people saying he had a cracking game against burton at the weekend only heard good reports suprised about this one

He had an okay game, he looked like he was the only one in the team that wanted to take people on and have a shot.

Never mind eyy, the other two are good, that Swiss defender looks like he will sign, and Hoganson will have a choice.

Us or Northampton. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

He wasn't brilliant. Miscontrolled it a few times and once when did it he just stood there whilst the defender just jogged past him and cleared the ball. No great loss at not signing him. Will be a decent L1 player if he puts the effort in

From reports it seems like he is an out and out winger and Clough doesn't like them (see Dave Martin, Lee Croft etc) might have been taking a look to see if he could develop into someone who could provide cover as LB and LM but found he can only play LM and only as a winger (i.e. doesn't track back well) The other lad seems to be more a LB who can play LM so probably has more of a shot....

From reports it seems like he is an out and out winger and Clough doesn't like them (see Dave Martin, Lee Croft etc) might have been taking a look to see if he could develop into someone who could provide cover as LB and LM but found he can only play LM and only as a winger (i.e. doesn't track back well) The other lad seems to be more a LB who can play LM so probably has more of a shot....

He never played LB - at Bolton was known as a tricky winger and I am also surprised by this one, thought he had shown enough to warrant at least a year contract as back up with hopefully breaking through - would of liked to see him playing at a better standard before making the judgement, much like what we're doing with that swiss centre back!

Wouldn't be surprised to see him move to a good league one/another championship side, he does look useful.

Wish him the best wherever he goes!

Ward, Jacobs, Tyson, Coutts can all play wide, I don't think Caton would have featured much. I wish him well, seems like a nice lad.

Of the other triallists I liked the look of that Swiss centre half, classy. And if we're looking for a young, inexperienced left back to start as back up to GR and eventually progress through, Hoganson looked fine.

Remember, this is a guy fighting for his career and a chance to play for Derby County. Whilst the other players are concentrating on getting match-fit, Caton will be looking to impress the hell out of Clough.

A few stinging shots and a couple (and I mean only a couple) of mazy runs against lower league opposition is probably not enough given that this is not an area we're weak in.

Don't think Hoganson will cut the mustard either really but it's worth giving him another shot because he was clearly nervous. We must have seen him play already and have an idea of what he can do.

Archived