Englands 23 man squad

ramexpat

Having had some time to think about the inclusion of Downing, Green and Johnson, and listening to Roy, I have come to the conclusion that he hasn't had a great deal of time or a chance to pick a squad and test what would be the best team (at the end of the day the best team might not contain the best players) and he has stuck with most of the players that had helped us qualify and he will really put his mark on the squad when we have friendlies and the WCQ's.

I'm not expecting much for this tournament, and haven't since the WC finished and Capello bottled getting rid of the vast majority of players that have continued to under-perform once they put on the 3 lions!!

Anyway, meat pies, sausage rolls, come on England, gisa goal!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst we all have our favourites and these are usually the maverick flair players, the fact remains that it will be the best-organised and most motivated team that wins the tournament. I think the pressure is off this year and that we could be in for a surprise.

So Barry is dull and workmanlike - but with people like Gerrard and maybe Lampard to accommodate and Parker struggling, we need his positional discipline. Downing has under-performed in the past yet big clubs still like him. I'd rather have someone like him who can cross the ball than a blinkered whippet like Lennon or Walcott that sprints without thinking of an end product.

We have some good defenders, one of the best goalkeepers in the world, and a deep squad. What we need is that they play as they do in the premiership, with a high tempo which doesn't allow the likes of Spain and Italy to pass around us.

Carroll is hugely over-rated and slow, but he is an impact player as a sub. Defoe,too, can change a game. The first choice front two of Welbeck and Rooney will trouble any defence.

All hail Hodgson's heroes! A Jubilee celebration to remember - I see the headlines now.

I still dont understand what people see in Theo Walcott, he's the most over rated play in England at the moment yet no doubt he'll be starting for England.

He's got no footballing brain and his touch and passing ability is average at best. If he just had average pace, he'd be playing in League 1 somewhere.

I thought the same, HOWEVER, this season has been the most productive english midfielder in the premiership... scored 8 and set up 11, just edging out Lampard who scored 11 and set up 5, Besides those two there hasn't really been anyone who can hold their head up!

I'm not a patriotic or jingoistic person but this I find quite disgusting.

Does no-one give a crap any more?

[url=http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/7761545/Roy-Carrick-ruled-himself-out]http://www1.skysport...led-himself-out

He wants to spend a summer with his family, rather than travel to a **** hole to sit on a bench, or possibly get on, make a mistake or miss a penalty and be abused for decades?

I don't blame him in the slightest. It isn't worth it.

He wants to spend a summer with his family, rather than travel to a **** hole to sit on a bench, or possibly get on, make a mistake or miss a penalty and be abused for decades?

Strange, I can be arsed to do that for my Sunday League team. Guess I probably would for my country too.

Carp squad why the hell carrolls in over crouch I'll never no

We'll do well to reach the quarters with that strikeforce!

Richards Lennon should defo be in Richards is a miles better rb than Johnson

Another boring euros in store I reckon

Whilst I don't think Caroll was ever worth the money that the miserable pig paid for him, i would much rather have him in the team than Crouch.... The reason that two metre Peter wasn't included is because we will have to play teams in the top 10000 of the FIFA rankings this time, not Trinidad and Tobago, Belarus or Jamaica....

As for Richard being beter than Johnson, well, really that's not much of a claim is it? I have seen hamsters better at defending that Johnson...

The Euro's will be great, they always are....and seeing Roy being thrown above everyone's head, as is the tradition now, as Rooney dancers around with the trophy.....I CANNOT WAIT....

It really is coming home.....

It shouldn't be his decision.....it's an honour....screw him, never pick him again....not that he is THAT good to begin with.

As for it being a **** hole, let me tell you, Poland is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever been and Ukraine is also great too......a lot better than the East End of London or Manchester, that is for sure..

SillyBilly

Strange, I can be arsed to do that for my Sunday League team. Guess I probably would for my country too.

Obviously training a few hours a week plus one or two matches (sometimes in Europe) makes it really hard to fit family/social time in. We're better off without him, he won't be remembered for long by any United or England fan.

Carrick is useless anyway!! Won't be missed. I'm sure in a match just before the WC he had stats of played 60 mins 1 successful pass out of 4 0 tackles 0 interceptions. So in 60 mins he touched the ball 4 times and gave it away 3 of those times. Think it was against Belarus.

It shouldn't be his decision.....it's an honour....screw him, never pick him again....not that he is THAT good to begin with.

As for it being a **** hole, let me tell you, Poland is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever been and Ukraine is also great too......a lot better than the East End of London or Manchester, that is for sure..

i'll second that... eastern europe is flipping amazing... not wealthy but definatly not a **** hole... proper country

i'll second that... eastern europe is flipping amazing... not wealthy but definatly not a **** hole... proper country

Agreed it's beautiful....and of course the pivo is top quality......what worries me is the threat of violence from the far right 'fans'....off topic tbh.... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

No matter who he picked, the squad was going to get pulled to pieces by the press and the public, so I'm not surprised at the reaction. But some of these comments suggest we have a wealth of talent that he's not looking at.

Personally I wouldn't have taken Terry or Downing, but other than that I think the squad's ok. Carrick must be baffled as to why Henderson is on standby ahead of him.

Some people are furious about Green being called up but it feels like arguing for the sake of it - 2nd goalkeepers rarely play, and it's an older head who has tournament experience that could be a calming influence on Hart and Ruddy. Would like to have seen Fielding on standby purely because of his involvement previously, but I'm not too bothered as he wouldn't end up getting called up anyway.

I don't think we should expect too much from this tournament. Hodgson has had hardly anytime to put this squad together and he's clearly a choice for the future, to develop players for 2014 and 2016. If it was a short term fix the FA were after, they probably could have got an experienced tournament manager to get them through the Summer.

I agree with taking Carroll - he's been excellent towards the end of the season, and I think he's going to be more of a handful against defences than Crouch would be. Just an opinion.

Come on England.

Agreed it's beautiful....and of course the pivo is top quality......what worries me is the threat of violence from the far right 'fans'....off topic tbh.... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

i dont reckon they'll be much bother with all that to be honest..... the police will have little or no tolerance for any of that kind of ****... and they'll be shed loads of antfa there and all...

Don't think they'll be that many Chelsea fans going after the expense of the CL................ 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' /> .

Archived