Englands 23 man squad

ramexpat

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a real pic, it came from a fake ferdinand twitter account. He just tweeted from his real account 'to say i am gutted is an understatement of the highest order.'

I did wonder. Only because it said Woy. Sadly it is a sign of the times that we are so ready to believe such a thing would be done.

SillyBilly

I'm still in shock after seeing Downing's inclusion. Not seen enough of Welbeck to think he'll intimidate any of the big boys in the competition. I'm not going to criticise the selection though as it is blatantly obvious we're not even very good on paper anymore. Only Rooney and potentially Hart (not yet) are world class and Rooney is suspended initially, Gerrard was but is now at the tail end of his best playing days. Will be cheering on the boys this summer and hope for an upset, everybody loves an underdog!

I agree with Muspach, he'll never be world class hasn't got the ability. I think he'll make a good career for himself no doubt, for world class players in the future.. for England there is only Jack Wilshere and Phil Jones for me.

I am worried about the team in 4 years, really worried.

I think welbecks all round game is pretty good to be honest, his one problem is he hasn't scored enough for the amount of chances he has, but maybe that will come. He links up well with Rooney and for us to stand a chance in the later game if he gets there we need Rooney playing well.

The thought of DJ Beater lifting the trophy actually sickens me (I hope we win it, but he's been stretchered off in the final, and taken to hospital so that he doesn't get the chance to lift it. Although, if he actually turns up at this tournament, and has a sustained useful contribution, I may finally be able to forgive him). Downing shouldn't be anywhere near the squad, I'd want Adam Johnson and Aaron Lennon in my 23 (probably sacrificing Barry & Downing, although DJ Beater wouldn't make my squad on principal). I'm definitely glad to see Ox-Chamberlain, Milner, Frank & Theo in the midfield picks. As Roy has said it was between P.Jones and M.Richards, that suggests to me that he has decided Glen Johnson is his first choice RB, and that concerns me.

Crouch should be in there, he'd be my second pick after Rooney up front. I'd probably take him instead of Carroll, in the current squad, but I'm willing to give Carroll a chance (although I expect the referees just to blow for a foul against him when it gets physical). With Rooney banned for two games, we're screwed for options if anything happens to one of our other strikers.

All in all, the squad was never going to please everyone, but I'm more optimistic for our future under Roy than I was under Capello. In Roy I trust. I hope James Milner starts on the left and sets the world on fire, he hasn't got much pace, but he's got the stamina of a work-horse and he's excellent with both feet. Downing's right foot is apparently missing in action, and may not make the trip.

I still dont understand what people see in Theo Walcott, he's the most over rated play in England at the moment yet no doubt he'll be starting for England.

He's got no footballing brain and his touch and passing ability is average at best. If he just had average pace, he'd be playing in League 1 somewhere.

I still dont understand what people see in Theo Walcott, he's the most over rated play in England at the moment yet no doubt he'll be starting for England.

He's got no footballing brain and his touch and passing ability is average at best. If he just had average pace, he'd be playing in League 1 somewhere.

And Theo Robinson wouldn't have made it in professional football. The fact is, Theo Walcott has pace, and it is one of his assets, speculating where he'd be without it is pointless. I do feel that Lennon is a more complete winger.

And Theo Robinson wouldn't have made it in professional football. The fact is, Theo Walcott has pace, and it is one of his assets, speculating where he'd be without it is pointless. I do feel that Lennon is a more complete winger.

It's his only asset.

It's a major factor why the national team is as poor as it is, phyiscal attributes are held in higher regard than technical ability and brain power.

Did you not see Lennon at the last WC, he was woeful, I remember it well because I had a bet with someone he would be the star of the tournament.

Both Lennon and Walcott when on there game can win you football matches, the problem is when they are not they are passengers, and in a 23 man squad you cannot afford to take both. Walcott has shown against big teams that he can perform, and also could play down the middle if needed, this is why I think he was chosen ahead of Lennon.

I think Walcott is over rated but he has been decent this season, he always seems to me to be passing to van persie to knock it in, I'm sure he must have a fair few assists. I think he is different to Lennon, lennon is an out and out winger where as Walcott likes to play more central and can play up front which helps

Not entirely convinced by the squad. Richards for me is the big mystery, rather him at RB any day than Johnson. Not sure on Downing either. That said, some players seem better suited to international football than others, so I wait and see. All I ask is that the players chosen, play with pride and passion. Can't wait for it to start!

Archived