Cloughs message to all fans attending last game!

Whoneedshuls

Nigel Clough is urging Derby County's supporters to stay off the pitch at the final whistle during this weekend's game with Peterborough United at Pride Park - so the Rams' squad and coaching staff can thank them for their support this season.

In recent years it has been customary for the players and coaching staff to make their way to the Directors Box in the West Stand to thank the fans for their support during the season, with fans making their way onto the pitch at the full-time whistle.

However this year Clough is asking the Derby fans to remain in their seats so the squad can do a lap of thanks around the Pride Park pitch to thank everyone for their backing throughout the campaign.

Me thinks good luck

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He said the same thing last year, it didn't happen and so the players legged it up to the box. If me memory serves, the invasion came from the SE corner and it made everyone else dive on. I don't really see how when there's that many people want to get on the pitch that it can be effectively prevented.

Nigel can ask but I don't think he'll get.

We'll get comfy in our top corner and watch.

The way they keep fans off the pitch in Bruges is quite simple, the have a permanent barrier of razor wire between the fans and the pitch.

The average chav would convince themself it was easy to get over, attempt to climb it, slice their balls off and sue the club.

Nigel Clough is urging Derby County's supporters to stay off the pitch at the final whistle during this weekend's game with Peterborough United at Pride Park - so the Rams' squad and coaching staff can thank them for their support this season.

In recent years it has been customary for the players and coaching staff to make their way to the Directors Box in the West Stand to thank the fans for their support during the season, with fans making their way onto the pitch at the full-time whistle.

However this year Clough is asking the Derby fans to remain in their seats so the squad can do a lap of thanks around the Pride Park pitch to thank everyone for their backing throughout the campaign.

Me thinks good luck

Sadly, it will be difficult to stop the half-wits from wanting to get on the pitch. It would be good if the club were really serious about issuing banning orders on just a few of those cretins. It might make the others think twice (or even think) in the future seasons.

I know I'm an old ********** (insert whatever you like 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> ) but in Nige's dad's days at Derby we used to walk onto the oich at the end of most matches after the teams had gone down the tunnel. The BBG never had the atmospher of No Man's Land and I can't recall any trouble on the pitch. some used it as a short cut to the other exits, some just wanted to be on the hallowed ground whence their heroes had just departed.

Memories of Hillsborough (which still send a cold chill through me). and the carnage caused by cages speak for themselves. I returned to the BBG from Birmingham when Burton Albion played Leicester in the cup (remember? the match was replayed behind closed doors) and the Pop Side had a different atmosphere. Burton Albion equalised and some idiot from first division Leicester's supporters threw an object which concussed the Brewers goalie who went on to let in a hatful of goals.

I recall at the time that the press took up the cry. "Cage people like animals and some of them will behave like animals".

Derby is a very friendly family club with fantastic supporters so NIGEL, LET 'EM ON THE PITCH!

Isn't a pitch invasion a criminal act of trespass? If it is, it's a bit daft if it can't be enforced - and if they banned everybody, there won't be many folk at PP next season.

Surely the word invasion is too emotive. It's like football fans who suddenly get described as "hooligans" or "thugs".

I'm all for telling it like it is but I have never "invaded" anything in my life. AFAIK (as far as I know).

I think trespass is not easy to prove and having paid for entry to a place of entertainment. There would need to be signs restricting access etc.

It would be unthinkable to invade the players' tunnel. It would be criminal (probably) to invade the pitch during a match. But to go on to the pitch at the end of the season??? A bit petty ti restrict high spirits especially when it is a show of support, not a mass invasion.

Clough senior always said that you shouldn't upset your bread and butter fans. And I for one like bread and butter 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wub:' />

It is daft. Trespass is a civil infringement not a criminal one and the club are never likely to prosecute anyone due to a) number of people infringing 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> bad publicity c) no real proof of any loss, damage or inconvenience.

That said, they have to have the rule in place to prevent singular acts (last idiot pitch invader I remember was against Man Utd?) where they will be quite happy to prosecute!

As a result, the club has to issue the statement each year to cover themselves should anything untoward happen. They have to SAY don't go on the pitch, even though they know each year the plea is ignored. If they tacitly approved then it would undermine their case in any other instance of a mid-match pitch invader

The only teim we should ever be on the pitch is when we are celebrating something....the end of season pitch invasion is just plane embarrassing.....none more so than the Cardiff game when all the Danny Dyers were held off by a line of over 60 year old stewards.

Archived