Theo Robinson

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mackail-Smith £3m 9 goals, Beckford £3m 9 goals, Jutkiewicz £1.5m 11 goals.

Market value means nothing if a team isnt keen on selling, and another is keen on buying. Theo is young and home grown so will add to his value - I wouldnt consider selling for anything less than £1.5m

Mackail-Smith £3m 9 goals, Beckford £3m 9 goals, Jutkiewicz £1.5m 11 goals.

Market value means nothing if a team isnt keen on selling, and another is keen on buying. Theo is young and home grown so will add to his value - I wouldnt consider selling for anything less than £1.5m

Birmingham lad that we bought from Millwall

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I believe strikers are judged upon more than just goals..

Goals are important but so is workrate, positioning, ball ability, first time control, bringing others into play, running the channels, creating space, bullying defenders etc..

If it was just a case of buying players who have scored 15 goals a season you'd end up with silly transfers and those believing that scoring 30 in the Rayman South League would be a good signing for an NPC side..

We'd never get more than $1.5mill for Theo because no-one would ever pay that much for simply an average striker who scored an average-good amount of goals over one season.. Mackail-Smith had a fantastic goal record before his move to Brighton but it was his workrate that people always praised him for.. He created so many chances for other people.. I can't say the same for Theo.

I'd sell him for $850k

To be fair to Theo, he's very similar to Mackail Smith and we got him for much less than what Brighton paid. Is quick and will work hard, but terrible first touch and ball control.

I'd sell him for £500k, rather take a punt on a lower league striker with that money than keep Theo who is never gunna get any better than what he is currently.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I believe strikers are judged upon more than just goals..

Goals are important but so is workrate, positioning, ball ability, first time control, bringing others into play, running the channels, creating space, bullying defenders etc..

If it was just a case of buying players who have scored 15 goals a season you'd end up with silly transfers and those believing that scoring 30 in the Rayman South League would be a good signing for an NPC side..

We'd never get more than $1.5mill for Theo because no-one would ever pay that much for simply an average striker who scored an average-good amount of goals over one season.. Mackail-Smith had a fantastic goal record before his move to Brighton but it was his workrate that people always praised him for.. He created so many chances for other people.. I can't say the same for Theo.

I'd sell him for $850k

Hi Bris- I begrudgingly admit that you do talk sense but this is about the 3rd time I have read a post of yours that uses the example of someone scoring a lot of goals in lower league would be good enough to play in the championship if goals were all they were judged on.

This is untrue as it would be a lot harder to score goals against better quality defences and keepers- nothing to do with whether strikers are judged on goals or all round play.

Our squad must be worth quite a bit then, if being young and 'home grown' makes you worth £1.5m.

As a striker yes - Peterborough paid £1.1m for Tyrone Barnett from League 2 - who isnt as good as Theo

Birmingham lad that we bought from Millwall

Home Grown - aka trained in England. Only for Champions League do you need players trained by your own Club. English players carry a premium price - its why Clough is looking in Scotland for talent

Hi Bris- I begrudgingly admit that you do talk sense but this is about the 3rd time I have read a post of yours that uses the example of someone scoring a lot of goals in lower league would be good enough to play in the championship if goals were all they were judged on.

This is untrue as it would be a lot harder to score goals against better quality defences and keepers- nothing to do with whether strikers are judged on goals or all round play.

That was my point shilts.. People on here judge a player as X million pounds or judge a player here as a Premier League player based on performances and stats from a league below..

Many people on here judge a signing because he's scored X amount of goals in the league below.. managers and scouts obviously look at players from different angles and what they contribute to the team.. I cringe when I hear someone say that we should sign X player because he's scored Y amount of goals in League 2.. Paul Jewell signed Liam Dickinson because he was young, confident and scored 17 or so goals for the season.. The guy was so ameture that he never even bothered to scout him properly and realise that technically he was poor and never had the ability to play at a high level..

People are trying to justify Theo being worth more than $1.5mill because he's scored an average tally of 13 goals in the NPC.. They're ignoring the fact that he can't control the ball, head a ball, bring others into play, run the channels properly, create space etc.. They're then putting price tags on players due to only goals scored..

If He's worth X mill then Theo must be worth $1.5mill because of this and that etc etc..

That's why I said all along if football worked like that you'd get silly signings where the top goalscorer from every league below would get signed up each summer for stupid sums..

Leicester City have spent $1mill on a person who scores goals at conference level.. It will be interesting to see if he has the intelligence, hold up play, ball control, awareness etc.. to play at NPC level.. Without watching him play, I feel he's been bought on the back of his goalscoring expertise rather than his actual ability.. Players like that (Liam Dickinson, Freddy Eastwood, Theo Robinson) only get worse once they've reached NPC level.. Not better.

That was my point shilts.. People on here judge a player as X million pounds or judge a player here as a Premier League player based on performances and stats from a league below..

Many people on here judge a signing because he's scored X amount of goals in the league below.. managers and scouts obviously look at players from different angles and what they contribute to the team.. I cringe when I hear someone say that we should sign X player because he's scored Y amount of goals in League 2.. Paul Jewell signed Liam Dickinson because he was young, confident and scored 17 or so goals for the season.. The guy was so ameture that he never even bothered to scout him properly and realise that technically he was poor and never had the ability to play at a high level..

People are trying to justify Theo being worth more than $1.5mill because he's scored an average tally of 13 goals in the NPC.. They're ignoring the fact that he can't control the ball, head a ball, bring others into play, run the channels properly, create space etc.. They're then putting price tags on players due to only goals scored..

If He's worth X mill then Theo must be worth $1.5mill because of this and that etc etc..

That's why I said all along if football worked like that you'd get silly signings where the top goalscorer from every league below would get signed up each summer for stupid sums..

Leicester City have spent $1mill on a person who scores goals at conference level.. It will be interesting to see if he has the intelligence, hold up play, ball control, awareness etc.. to play at NPC level.. Without watching him play, I feel he's been bought on the back of his goalscoring expertise rather than his actual ability.. Players like that (Liam Dickinson, Freddy Eastwood, Theo Robinson) only get worse once they've reached NPC level.. Not better.

Only get worse? I'm not being funny but Theo is Twice the player he was when we had him on loan at the end of last season. He has improved so much over such a short period of time, that if he improves as much again next season he will get more goals and be worth more.

I think in the case of Theo some of his other play doesn't matter because he isn't the big holding the ball up fellow, he's the on the shoulder of the last defender quick fellow finisher and as his record proves and ours in the league, we've been better off with him in the team than when we had commons and hulse, who were much better at holding it up.

And goals is what matters. If someone is a natural finisher who will shoot on target 9 times out of 10, give him the service in any division and he will score a bucketload.

Theo is not picked to be the link man and he is not picked to run the channels. Clough when talking about Theo or someone picked in his place or filling in for injuries does not say that he is there to run the channels and create opportunities. What he does say is to be the on the last shoulder of defence and be in and around the 6 yard box. We use players like Savies and Ball to do the holding up and link play. To judge Theo on this area alone is harsh. How many after watching him on loan before joining would have bet on him scoring 12 goals. Yes his touch lets him down 35% of time but when he gets it he is always a threat. He has improved and is showing that he is putting the hard work in. If not he would not be in the squad never mind the team. Theo gets you on the edge of the seat and yes may not be the skillful player people talk about but he does get you excited and frustrated as much as those skillful players.

I am glad he is enjoying it and I think next season he will bag 20 goals.

Archived