Alan Davies on Hillsborough

EastKentRam

You obvioulsy HAVE NOT listened to all of his podcast at all. In which he says that it was "the worst disaster in the modern era" etc etc etc etc.

Unlike you, he, and myself, were, not only alive, but were at football grounds on the day it happened. This truly terrible disaster affected EVERY SINGLE football fan.

You need to listen to go an listen to his podcast.

You need to stop reading the daily mirror with their " edited" version of what was said.

Every single persob who has threatened to harm him, and his new born baby (obviously thats fine isnt it!!!??) should be charged.

I hate Liverpool football club with a passion, i hate all their mouthy horrible little snidey fans, i hate 99% of all the players that have ever played for them, and i really cant stand the cheating, diving, elbowing, racist of a miserable manager they have, i was stood with the Juve fans with my back to the minutes silence when they played tem in the chumpions league, they are scum.....but guess what, i lost a friend of mine at hillsbrough, i knew loads of people who went, red dogs and liverpool (glory hunting vermin) fans and the tragedy that took place on that day will never ever be forgotten.... But they shouldnt be allowed to dictate the fixture list.

Thats all he was saying, and if you had been bothered to listen to it all you would have heard this for yourself

Lazy journalism at its worst.

If this were any other club other than Liverpool Muespach, I doubt you would have any opinion on the subject whatsoever. Give over.

As for what Davies said, unexpected and disrespectful. Liverpool Football Club choose not to play on that date because of the Hillsborough disaster. As others have said, United choose to play on the date of the Munich Air Disaster, but in my opinion they would be well within their rights to choose not too.

He also has a right to disagree with Liverpool's approach, yes. But the way he has gone about generally attacking the club, without considering exactly WHY they choose not to play on that date, is downright disrespectful and to be perfectly honest unbecoming of a bloke who portrays such a "nice guy" image on screen.

EDIT: Just read that Davies has donated £1,000 to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign, a very good gesture.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the fact that the Hillsborough families are still awaiting closure is an important factor too, as this is the year the papers will finally be made public.

(1.1)You obvioulsy HAVE NOT listened to all of his podcast at all. In which he says that it was "the worst disaster in the modern era" etc etc etc etc.

(2)Unlike you, he, and myself, were, not only alive, but were at football grounds on the day it happened. This truly terrible disaster affected EVERY SINGLE football fan.

(1-again)You need to listen to go an listen to his podcast.

(3)You need to stop reading the daily mirror with their " edited" version of what was said.

Every single persob who has threatened to harm him, and his new born baby ((4)obviously thats fine isnt it!!!??) should be charged.

(5)I hate Liverpool football club with a passion, i hate all their mouthy horrible little snidey fans, i hate 99% of all the players that have ever played for them, and i really cant stand the cheating, diving, elbowing, racist of a miserable manager they have, i was stood with the Juve fans with my back to the minutes silence when they played tem in the chumpions league, they are scum.....but guess what, i lost a friend of mine at hillsbrough, i knew loads of people who went, red dogs and liverpool (glory hunting vermin) fans and the tragedy that took place on that day will never ever be forgotten.... But they shouldnt be allowed to dictate the fixture list.

(6)Thats all he was saying, and if you had been bothered to listen to it all you would have heard this for yourself

(7)Lazy journalism at its worst.

1.I have listened to the entire podcast. I feel that, as much as he meant it. He also emphasised it so much that it sounded like he was also trying to cover his own back.

2.What do you mean by this? My opinion is irrelevant because I was not born? (Generally quite insulting if thats what you mean).

3.I don't read the Mirror. I don't read any news paper. (Including online)

4.Now this is harsh.You clearly aren't thinking straight. I never said anything about the people abusing Alan Davies. They are sick. And I disagree with them 1000x more than I disagree with what Alan Davies said. Look, I like him as a comedian and on IQ. I think he's fantastic at what he does and should stick to it. I was originally arguing that what he said was wrong. Including me in those people is wrong, why have you done that?

5.I agree, with most of what you say. I don't 'hate' anybody. But I dislike LFC, Suarez and Daglish. You need to realise that A scouser is not another name for a Liverpool fan. It is a person from Liverpool. They do not all support Liverpool. You need to start making the correct distinctions. On the fixture list part of it, they don't 'dictate' the fixtures. They dictate ONE fixture, and in my heart, I say they should be allowed to do this.

6.Again, I have listened to the enitre podcast. I was commenting on how the start of the podcast was disrespectful.

7.Lazy journalism- by this I presume you mean The Mirror? Then yes, again, I agree

I'm not on this forum for an argument or to insult anybody. And I have had conversations and debates with yourself before now so I'm not going to judge you on this. But next time, just think about what you're typing please.

Don't see why they should be allowed to dictate when they play to be honest - the FA should grow some balls and tell them that this is what we are going to do, if you don't like it, give your place up in the competition to someone else.

Hope those affected get closure this year when the government finally allow the "truth" to get out.

(1)I think it is pathetic the way people react to a comedians opinion on when a football match is played. (2)Liverpool shouldn't be allowed to dictate when fixtures are played. (3)The reaction to Mr Davies was disgusting, far worse than the comments he made. (4)His opinion on this event won't be influenced by his disliking of scousers. It is the equivalent of saying anyone who doesn't really like Americans, doesn't care about the 9/11 attacks. If I am the same as Alan Davies I take that as a compliment. (5)I state in this country because we have developed a culture that anyone who says something slightly controversial is attacked, yes it happens in other countries and we are lucky to have the freedom we do.

LR in my view he has a right to free speech and express what he wants, he explicitly stated what a tragedy Hillsborough was but people don't care to look beyond the headlines.

1.I don't have a problem with comedians voicing their opinions. But if it's offensive then I will disagree with it.

2. My heart tells me that they should be allowed to say wether this fixture is played on the date of Hillsborough. What should be questioned is if other teams are not being allowed to change their fixtures as Liverpool have.

3.Completely agree. This has nothing to do with me though. I didn't say any of that.

4.His views on Liverpool I believe could be influenced of his hatred for scousers. That can't be proven right or wrong.

5.I believe that it is more than 'slightly" controversial. Also, I haven't attacked him. I've voiced my opinion, something of which you have also done.

Just to say, if I insulted you in my last post then I'm sorry. I was a little angry and maybe not thinking straight.

1.I don't have a problem with comedians voicing their opinions. But if it's offensive then I will disagree with it.

2. My heart tells me that they should be allowed to say wether this fixture is played on the date of Hillsborough. What should be questioned is if other teams are not being allowed to change their fixtures as Liverpool have.

3.Completely agree. This has nothing to do with me though. I didn't say any of that.

4.His views on Liverpool I believe could be influenced of his hatred for scousers. That can't be proven right or wrong.

5.I believe that it is more than 'slightly" controversial. Also, I haven't attacked him. I've voiced my opinion, something of which you have also done.

Just to say, if I insulted you in my last post then I'm sorry. I was a little angry and maybe not thinking straight.

His views on Liverpool may be different yes, but his views on Hillsborough I am confident wouldn't be changed because of his views on Liverpool. I believe it is only more than slightly controversial because people have overreacted to his comments. You previously said it wasn't his place to say anything about it, that sounded like you don't believe he should have commented at all. My heart tells me they shouldn't but that is a difference of opinion. Number 3 I know you haven't said anything to that effect. People have attacked him in a way which could induce harm and people are capable of committing stupid acts for what someone has said. It's okay I believe the right to insult is greater than the right to offend 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> But no you didn't offend me 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

OKAY. WHICH ONE OF YOU GOT YOUNG RAM GOING? EH?

Jesus Christ he's going to be on here for days arguing his case now 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='<_<' />

days? not days just a few hours 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> I should be doing politics and sociology revision but this is just too much fun 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

days? not days just a few hours 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> I should be doing politics and sociology revision but this is just too much fun 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

fun, huh.

fun, huh.

yes fun 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> I love jazz like this, e.g. when the Jehovah witnesses come round 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Posted 19 minutes ago

Don't see why they should be allowed to dictate when they play to be honest - the FA should grow some balls and tell them that this is what we are going to do, if you don't like it, give your place up in the competition to someone else.

Hope those affected get closure this year when the government finally allow the "truth" to get out.

Correctomundo.

The FA WILL NEVER grow any balls to do anything, because they are still hiding away from their share of the blame on the day.

The FA never stepped in when their fans killed all the Juve fans, because, simply because, its the amazing Liverpool FC.

We went to Anfield in the 70's and 80's and got chased across Stanley Park, got every window on the bus smashed and every seat on the coach was covered in urine....those were great drives home.

Horrible Mafiosa style club.

A very well-written and thoughtful article that raises some very interesting questions, just a shame he felt the need to try and justify Jan Moir's article on Stephen Gateley in trying to make his point, that is just ridiculous.

EDIT: Also noticed that he suggested Liam Stacey was arrested for not abiding by the "Pray for Fabrice Muamba" trend on Twitter or by questioning it. No, the bloke was arrested for sending completely racist and downright disgusting Tweets about Muamba. This is a very well-written article ruined by two completely stupid and arrogant points.

In this matter at least I have every sympathy both for the club and the families concerned. All other things being equal I would certainly not begrudge them not wanting to play on that specific date. Unfortunately it's not quite that simple. If their avoidance of the date inconveniences other clubs to the point of disadvantaging them then it becomes more questionable.

Personally, I'd like to see the FA adopt a 'best endeavors' approach - if Liverpool playing on that date can be avoided then fair enough, however if it can't then the club should be given the choice of playing or surrendering 3 points or forfeiting their place in the cup.

Re Davies - he's touring again later in the year - starting in Liverpool. Should be interesting! Like anyone else, he's entitled to his opinion on the subject. However, he should also well know that being a celebrity, and using a public forum such as a podcast then his opinion more than most is going to be prone to being taken out of context.

I noticed that the article talks about Davies having a go at one of their "award winning journalists" could be a reason why they went so hard after him - could someone let me know how a journalist from that paper could win an award or maybe suggest the title of said award?

Not read the article nor listened to the podcast and I don't intend to either.

I have however been to Liverpool on several occasions, it is not a dump, yes it has it's areas but so does Derby and every other City and Town in this country. The first time I went was to watch us play and beat Everton when we were in the Premiership, looked like we was driving through the set of Shameless and if anyone had said Liverpool was a dump I would of agreed. Move away from the football grounds and go around the city and you will realise such comments are very silly.

I also know a few Liverpool fans, some of which I met randomly in a pub watching the football whilst there and I still keep in touch now. They are not scum or "glory hunting vermin", they are decent friendly people supporting their hometown club, no different I guess to the majority of Derby fans.

I have to say the hatred in this thread is pathetic, seriously pathetic. No doubt I will get Heysol etc. chucked back at me but guess what, not ALL Liverpool fans were there, 27 years ago, times have changed just seems some peoples stereotypical opinions haven't.

Finally I agree with StaffsRam above on the whole not playing debate and football is just a game.

Well said Daveo.

I think some people are predisposed to dislike Liverpool and everything in it because of the fact you mention 'Liverpool'. Not all of it's citizens are thugs, not all are trouble makers and there are a lot of very decent people there. It also has some, like Daveo says, beautiful areas, my favourite being the waterfront Albert Docks and the Tate gallery.

For a lot of people to stereotype and generalise about the place and it's people is just wrong and over the years the people have been on the end of jibes, snide comments - (case in point what Alan Davies said, and he's never been even remotely funny to start with anyway) - and ridicule.

Kenny Dalglish - I'm not the biggest fan of how he handled the whole Suarez episode but the fact that he, his wife and the Liverpool team attended most of the Hillsborough victims funerals means I have time for him. They, as a team and as a City are more than willing to not play on the 15th, this is one day when to them football is just not important. They choose to remember the victims which is exactly as it should be. It's interesting to notice no other teams or their managers have got a problem with this, only some fans who only appear to have fixtures in mind and the oh-so-terrible inconveniences it causes.

Going back to Alan Davies for a minute, yes, he's issued an apology. Wether it's genuine or not, only he & his PR team knows the answer to this (personally I think it's a case of quick backpeddling to save face) and I also know he donated £1000 to the HFJ campaign which they have turned down, although they have accepted his apology on his way off comments. Well done them! To accept it would have been hypocritical and if he'd been that bothered by their plight, why hasn't he donated in the past? Cos I'd like to bet he hasn't.

If he's got any sense, he should stay away from the Liverpool Empire because he'd be about as welcome as a dose of something unpleasant. And anyway, he supports Arsenal, what's it got to do with him anyway?

Not read the article nor listened to the podcast and I don't intend to either.

I have however been to Liverpool on several occasions, it is not a dump, yes it has it's areas but so does Derby and every other City and Town in this country. The first time I went was to watch us play and beat Everton when we were in the Premiership, looked like we was driving through the set of Shameless and if anyone had said Liverpool was a dump I would of agreed. Move away from the football grounds and go around the city and you will realise such comments are very silly.

I also know a few Liverpool fans, some of which I met randomly in a pub watching the football whilst there and I still keep in touch now. They are not scum or "glory hunting vermin", they are decent friendly people supporting their hometown club, no different I guess to the majority of Derby fans.

I have to say the hatred in this thread is pathetic, seriously pathetic. No doubt I will get Heysol etc. chucked back at me but guess what, not ALL Liverpool fans were there, 27 years ago, times have changed just seems some peoples stereotypical opinions haven't.

Finally I agree with StaffsRam above on the whole not playing debate and football is just a game.

In fairness I did say from what I have seen of the city.

I have nothing against Liverpool. The whole event was before my time. Getting to the point of it all, should Liverpool be allowed to dictate the fixture list in this instance? No. Liverpool are in a league and their actions have an affect on the other 19 clubs.If every club had an event anniversary they did not wish to play on, could all those clubs not play on those specific dates. Fixture lists are a nightmare as it is. Would Liverpool refuse to play if the date fell on a European cup final? If all other clubs in the league have agreed to this at the start of the season then there can't be an argument.

If this is being used as a chance to spew hatred towards Liverpool then that is poor. I think it is a fair point raised and as seems to be the normal these days gets blown out of all proportions.

Archived