Alan Davies on Hillsborough

EastKentRam

Of course I respect your view here LadyR. It's an extremely sensitive subject.

I don't want any part of you to think I am diminshing the importance of the occasion and the chance to reflect and remember in any way you choose.

No, I don't think that at all PB, not for a minute.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a link for the LFC forum and it's poetry thread, for anyone who wishes to read through. I think why Liverpool chooses to have their Memorial Day on the 15th speaks for itself within the pages dating from 2003 to very recently. Devastatingly sad.

[url=http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=21560.0]http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=21560.0

They 'dictate it' the same as any other club could if they wanted to.

There's one day in the whole calendar that is sacred to them as a club. It's the FA that have been stupid on this, not Liverpool.

I can't stand Liverpool, but I respect their wishes in this instance. Like I said earlier, the families of the 96 victims would have to decide between going to the graves of their loved ones, or travelling down to Wembley. If there's a way to avoid that, I don't blame at all for doing it.

I honestly don't see why there would be any decision here. My loved ones mean more to me than football, and I'd like to think everyone would agree, and surely those who had family members die at Hillsborough and feel it is important for them to visit the graves on the day then a football match goes out the window, no matter where it is being played?

If it was important for me to visit a grave or celebrate a family member's life on the day that Derby went to Wembley it would not be a difficult choice. Maybe I just don't love football as much as everyone else.

I honestly don't see why there would be any decision here. My loved ones mean more to me than football, and I'd like to think everyone would agree, and surely those who had family members die at Hillsborough and feel it is important for them to visit the graves on the day then a football match goes out the window, no matter where it is being played?

If it was important for me to visit a grave or celebrate a family member's life on the day that Derby went to Wembley it would not be a difficult choice. Maybe I just don't love football as much as everyone else.

I didn't mean a straight shoot out between family and football - sorry, I wasn't very clear.

I bet most of those victims would want their family to go to the football and enjoy the day. The families would want to pay respects. It's tough, that's all I'm saying.

I can kind of see both points here, I do think that if Liverpool made the decision never to play on that date and haven't for the last 20 odd years it is unrealistic to ask them to change. On the other hand even if I don't agree with him I do think Davies raised a valid point, is entitled to his opinion and should not be subjected to the level of outrage he has.

To be honest something that is creeping into society and pisses me off is faux grief/outrage most notably from media and "celebrities"' this is not just about Davies but it seems very fashionable at the moment for people to take moral high ground at any opportunity and all the quotes you read in papers seem to be a competition around who is the most devastated or outraged even when their connection is very loose at best. Again this is not necessarily on topic but just a bit of rant about the media being hypocrites painting themselves as keepers of the nations moral values and the amount of crocodile tears I see being shed on an ever more regular basis.

I can kind of see both points here, I do think that if Liverpool made the decision never to play on that date and haven't for the last 20 odd years it is unrealistic to ask them to change. On the other hand even if I don't agree with him I do think Davies raised a valid point, is entitled to his opinion and should not be subjected to the level of outrage he has.

To be honest something that is creeping into society and pisses me off is faux grief/outrage most notably from media and "celebrities"' this is not just about Davies but it seems very fashionable at the moment for people to take moral high ground at any opportunity and all the quotes you read in papers seem to be a competition around who is the most devastated or outraged even when their connection is very loose at best. Again this is not necessarily on topic but just a bit of rant about the media being hypocrites painting themselves as keepers of the nations moral values and the amount of crocodile tears I see being shed on an ever more regular basis.

Most journalists are so limp-fisted I'm surprised they can hold a pen. I fully agree with your sentiment by the way, its almost fashionable nowadays to destroy a career or ruin a reputation for anyone who dares swim against the tide.

A quote from Mr Hitchens suffices "My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line, and kiss my ass"

quotations, quotations, and yet more quotations 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

factual based own opinion would be nice, plagarism just results in deducted marks

You're right using others to back up your own opinion must mean plagarism 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> I have my own opinion and this has been shown while I have been on this forum. If you knew me in real life you might also be able to make a better judgement call 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> What I have done isn't Plagarism 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Not heard or read the full alan davies thing, but im still on his side.

I have no sympathy for liverpool fans who on more than one occasion think its ok to counterfeit tickets then sell them out, and thus cause overcrowding in an end. I can name 3 occasions off the top of my head, theres probably been more.

I can see both opinions, but one poster very very clearly is riled by a personal disliking for Liverpool Football Club. It's a shame to see a grown man post like that.

But for those of you who have "no sympathy" for the Liverpool fans who died...erm, those 96 who were crushed, had they all bought conterfeit tickets? Were all of those 96 who were killed that day criminals? I have no doubt that an awful lot who died were not angels and a few were there without proper tickets, but come on, use your brain. Don't tarnish everyone under the same brush.

Bolton didn't have to play their next fixture after Muamba had collapsed, and that's just one player who hadn't even passed away.

Why are Liverpool trying to delay this fixture? To be awkward? Yeah, that must be why.

And it doesn't matter what Alan Davies said, because he's very funny on QI, has a very funny podcast and he's a true football man, so it's not disrepectful.

Simple solution, if Liverpool did not want to play they should have forefeited the game. I seem to remember Middlesborough threatening to not fulfil a fixture and they were told they would lose the game.

I'm not being funny but this is very unfair on Chelsea. If the boot was on the other foot and Liverpool were being forced to play Sunday and Tuesday the we would not hear the end about the conspiracy theory from that whinging scottish prat.

And before anyone accuses me of not caring, it was 96 football fans that died that day, not 96 Liverpool fans. I like many others on here was at Old Trafford that day, however, if I had chosen to support a team just 10 miles from where I live I too would have been at Hillsborough. The day certainly touched my life but I don't think we should be cancelling FA cup semi finals some 20 years after the event.

After what's gone on this season I can't believe this is still going on.

Alan Davies is just being victimised and is the latest to be singled out for the wrong reasons

The only thing Alan Davies is a victim of is his own stupidity IMO.

Different situation G Star.

Boro asked to postpone a match due to a sickness bug and were refused then threatened not to play

Liverpool requested to move a fixture and were told yes

Understand the situation is different but where do we draw the line?

When is it acceptable to change your fixtures?

Why have Chelsea had to suffer for something that has nothing to do with them?

That is for the FA to decide not us mere supporters.

The fact is they decided the dates of the fixtures, not Liverpool who requested not to play on the 15th.

Some may agree some won't, how the opinion is voiced by some may seem disrespectful to some not necessarily the opinion.

Also justifying the opinion by saying a football match is a better celebration of the fans' lives is like telling someone who annually pays respects to a gone family member they are doing it wrong.

Personally I mark the passing of a relative every year by having a quiet moment placing a decoration they gave my daughter on the Christmas tree. Would it be better to mark it on their Birthday? Am I doing it wrong?

Liverpool as a city and a club mark it with a memorial service - are they doing it wrong?

Archived