Alan Davies on Hillsborough

EastKentRam

[url=http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Alan-Davies-in-foul-mouthed-rant-against-Liverpool-over-refusing-to-play-on-Hillsborough-disaster-anniversary-article888557.html]http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Alan-Davies-in-foul-mouthed-rant-against-Liverpool-over-refusing-to-play-on-Hillsborough-disaster-anniversary-article888557.html

I kind of agree with him to be honest, think all the abuse is slightly unfair.

Wouldnt the mass gathering of Liverpool fans, seeing there team play, be a better way to remember Hillsborough?

I wonder what Liverpool would do if they had to play there FA Cup game two days before a Champions League semi final like Chelsea will have to.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's down to the individual clubs how they choose to mark a particular anniversary. This is Liverpool's way, quite simple really.

I agree with Ladyram - their prerogative.

If I supported the club I'd probably want them to play, specially in such a prestigious game against their local rivals.

But the families of the 96 victims probably have rituals - go to the graves and memorials of those who died - on the anniversary each year, and also support Liverpool.

I can see both sides, but ultimately I don't think Davies really needed to do this. Seems a bit stupid.

Have anmy of you actually listened to the podcast he said all this on?

He was completely correct, he said, and I paraphrase here, that it was one of the saddest days in modern history, that he was so saddened by it all etc etc....but what he also said, which is completely true, is that, do United not play on the anniversary of Munich, do Rangers playn on the anniversary of the crush, do the scousers play on the anniversary of Heysel etc etc.........AND with Liverpool's "we are not playing on the date" attitude it has completely stuffed Chelsea up for their remaining fixtures.

I thought he was completely right in everything he said and he said it very well indeed.

Listen to his podcast, it is the most intelligent and funny football podcast around....."the Tuesday Club"...GENIUS.

If Man U decided not to play on the anniversary of Munich, that would be their choice. The same applies to Rangers. They choose to play, Liverpool decide not to, I honestly don't see what the problem is.

And he claims it's unfair on Chelsea? I'm sure they'll get over it. What's more unfair is that 96 people died and it's important Liverpool (and any of us who want to for that matter) remembers them.

If Man U decided not to play on the anniversary of Munich, that would be their choice. The same applies to Rangers. They choose to play, Liverpool decide not to, I honestly don't see what the problem is.

And he claims it's unfair on Chelsea? I'm sure they'll get over it. What's more unfair is that 96 people died and it's important Liverpool (and any of us who want to for that matter) remembers them.

Nope, what's unfair is that Liverpool get to dictate the fixture list, like he says.

No one is disputing that it was a disaster but....no one else is allowed to alter their fixtures to suit their own personal wishes...and that is all it is...

Nope, what's unfair is that Liverpool get to dictate the fixture list, like he says.

No one is disputing that it was a disaster but....no one else is allowed to alter their fixtures to suit their own personal wishes...and that is all it is...

They 'dictate it' the same as any other club could if they wanted to.

There's one day in the whole calendar that is sacred to them as a club. It's the FA that have been stupid on this, not Liverpool.

I can't stand Liverpool, but I respect their wishes in this instance. Like I said earlier, the families of the 96 victims would have to decide between going to the graves of their loved ones, or travelling down to Wembley. If there's a way to avoid that, I don't blame at all for doing it.

What about when Juventus wanted to not play Liverpool....where they allowed to do it.? Should they have been allowed to do so?

I think, as Mr Davies said, that a semi final at Wembley against Everton is a joyous occasion, an occasion where the whole of the pit of a city could unite again, it should be a celebration of the lives of the people who died....but of course, that miserable ***** Dog Leash would rather sit there in his ivory tower slagging off the world, moaning about everything.

"Oh Hillsborough on the 15th, that gets on my t!ts that ****"- Alan Davies.

Just going to say this as someone who was effected by the disaster. My friends dad lost his life that day. My mams friend (and my sisters godmother) lost her life. My old school teacher lost her husband and was there at the time with my other friends dad, who lost his brother.

This is how we remember those people. It happened in 1989...I wasn't born until 1991, but it's something that has played a part in my life, because so many people I have known in my lifetime have been immediately effected by it. This isn't just about football. Its about 96 people from a close community that died before their time. Some of those people as young as 10.

And yes, I've listened to the podcast, heard what he had to say, "my mother died on the 22nd August but that doesn't mean I have to stay in the house all day". No, it doesn't. That means that he simply deals with it in a different way to other people. I disagree with the way he spoke about Hillsborough, and I honestly believe that he doesn't care. It's not his place to speak out about things like this. Alan Davies doesn't like Scousers. He has made that perfectly clear on many occasions before now. If his general opinion of scousers was different, would his opinion on Hillsborough be different? Obviously it would...and thats is what makes it wrong.

What is also wrong is people saying it isn't his place. It is his place to comment on what he likes, Alan Davies is a good comedian and a decent man from what I gather. Just because he doesn't like scousers doesn't mean he isn't sad about what happened and to say any different is either naive or quite pathetic. I personally don't like Liverpool football club and from what I have seen of the city it is a dump, however that doesn't mean I don't think Hillsborough was a tragedy or the loss of life on that day was truly awful.

It is a shame that people are threatened in this country for simply voicing an opinion. This is what happened to Mr Davies, and instead of Mr Davies apologizing, the people who subsequently threatened Mr Davies should apologize.

What is also wrong is people saying it isn't his place. It is his place to comment on what he likes, Alan Davies is a good comedian and a decent man from what I gather. Just because he doesn't like scousers doesn't mean he isn't sad about what happened and to say any different is either naive or quite pathetic. I personally don't like Liverpool football club and from what I have seen of the city it is a dump, however that doesn't mean I don't think Hillsborough was a tragedy or the loss of life on that day was truly awful.

It is a shame that people are threatened in this country for simply voicing an opinion. This is what happened to Mr Davies, and instead of Mr Davies apologizing, the people who subsequently threatened Mr Davies should apologize.

Look, you prove my point quite clearly. You're the same as him. I basically said that his opinion can't be neutral if he hates scousers.

Also, I don't know why you say, "in this country" as though the rest of the world is different. Because that would surely make you naive?

Actually you know what, after me explaining how badly Hillsborough has effected me, and then you going on to call me pathetic and then tell me my home town is a dump. I'd ask you not to reply to this post because I've got nothing more to say to you.

But YR, it's what he said in his opening sentence what Networker refers to - it is this what makes people angry. There's no need to be disrespectful about it, particulaly when the anniversary is approaching. He could have used a better choice of words.

"Oh Hillsborough on the 15th, that gets on my t!ts that ****"- Alan Davies.

Just going to say this as someone who was effected by the disaster. My friends dad lost his life that day. My mams friend (and my sisters godmother) lost her life. My old school teacher lost her husband and was there at the time with my other friends dad, who lost his brother.

This is how we remember those people. It happened in 1989...I wasn't born until 1991, but it's something that has played a part in my life, because so many people I have known in my lifetime have been immediately effected by it. This isn't just about football. Its about 96 people from a close community that died before their time. Some of those people as young as 10.

And yes, I've listened to the podcast, heard what he had to say, "my mother died on the 22nd August but that doesn't mean I have to stay in the house all day". No, it doesn't. That means that he simply deals with it in a different way to other people. I disagree with the way he spoke about Hillsborough, and I honestly believe that he doesn't care. It's not his place to speak out about things like this. Alan Davies doesn't like Scousers. He has made that perfectly clear on many occasions before now. If his general opinion of scousers was different, would his opinion on Hillsborough be different? Obviously it would...and thats is what makes it wrong.

You obvioulsy HAVE NOT listened to all of his podcast at all. In which he says that it was "the worst disaster in the modern era" etc etc etc etc.

Unlike you, he, and myself, were, not only alive, but were at football grounds on the day it happened. This truly terrible disaster affected EVERY SINGLE football fan.

You need to listen to go an listen to his podcast.

You need to stop reading the daily mirror with their " edited" version of what was said.

Every single persob who has threatened to harm him, and his new born baby (obviously thats fine isnt it!!!??) should be charged.

I hate Liverpool football club with a passion, i hate all their mouthy horrible little snidey fans, i hate 99% of all the players that have ever played for them, and i really cant stand the cheating, diving, elbowing, racist of a miserable manager they have, i was stood with the Juve fans with my back to the minutes silence when they played tem in the chumpions league, they are scum.....but guess what, i lost a friend of mine at hillsbrough, i knew loads of people who went, red dogs and liverpool (glory hunting vermin) fans and the tragedy that took place on that day will never ever be forgotten.... But they shouldnt be allowed to dictate the fixture list.

Thats all he was saying, and if you had been bothered to listen to it all you would have heard this for yourself

Lazy journalism at its worst.

Look, you prove my point quite clearly. You're the same as him. I basically said that his opinion can't be neutral if he hates scousers.

Also, I don't know why you say, "in this country" as though the rest of the world is different. Because that would surely make you naive?

Actually you know what, after me explaining how badly Hillsborough has effected me, and then you going on to call me pathetic and then tell me my home town is a dump. I'd ask you not to reply to this post because I've got nothing more to say to you.

I think it is pathetic the way people react to a comedians opinion on when a football match is played. Liverpool shouldn't be allowed to dictate when fixtures are played. The reaction to Mr Davies was disgusting, far worse than the comments he made. His opinion on this event won't be influenced by his disliking of scousers. It is the equivalent of saying anyone who doesn't really like Americans, doesn't care about the 9/11 attacks. If I am the same as Alan Davies I take that as a compliment. I state in this country because we have developed a culture that anyone who says something slightly controversial is attacked, yes it happens in other countries and we are lucky to have the freedom we do.

LR in my view he has a right to free speech and express what he wants, he explicitly stated what a tragedy Hillsborough was but people don't care to look beyond the headlines.

Making threats towards him and his baby is totally out of order, I agree with you there Muespach. That's truly vile. I'm not sure who's made the threats but I do know that Liverpool fans (the ones I know of anyway) are chosing to ignore Davies' comments in the first place.

As for Liverpool dictating the fixture list, this is done on one day of the season out of respect for those who died. It's probably the most important date in Anfield's calendar, one they feel they need to show unity and as a club they do this because it remains so important to them.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand? The FA alter fixture lists for far less important reasons.

Archived