Alan Davies on Hillsborough

EastKentRam

Can I call you rude, horrible and obnoxious. Please.

No problem at all...only if i can threaten reporters for doing their job and just asking me about the game,?

Can i openly support a racist, cheating, diving pig?

Can I elbow my way around the pitch this weekend?

merci beaucoup

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know and agree about the threats, they can't be condoned. And it's not merely his opinion that got peoples backs up, it's the manner in which he said it and so I refer back to my earlier post above.

Again I believe the manner in which he said it should be allowed, he didn't harm anyone in the way he said it and he had every right to say what he wishes in the manner in which he wishes it.

[url=http://More%20shocked%20that%20people%20think%20the%20person%20on%20the%20tele%20may%20not%20be%20the%20same%20person%20when%20off%20the%20tele%20and%20showing%20their%20true%20personality%20and%20views%20%20Let]To quote a Pool fan:

[url=http://More%20shocked%20that%20people%20think%20the%20person%20on%20the%20tele%20may%20not%20be%20the%20same%20person%20when%20off%20the%20tele%20and%20showing%20their%20true%20personality%20and%20views%20%20Let]http://More shocked ...lity and views

[url=http://More%20shocked%20that%20people%20think%20the%20person%20on%20the%20tele%20may%20not%20be%20the%20same%20person%20when%20off%20the%20tele%20and%20showing%20their%20true%20personality%20and%20views%20%20Let]Let's cancel the Hillsborough Memorial Service because Chelsea have a big game mid week, if you think about how stupid that sounds its astounding. The fact Mancs etc are now supporting it because they play on the Munich anniversary are using opinions based on bias rather than any reason.

[url=http://More%20shocked%20that%20people%20think%20the%20person%20on%20the%20tele%20may%20not%20be%20the%20same%20person%20when%20off%20the%20tele%20and%20showing%20their%20true%20personality%20and%20views%20%20Let]Regardless of what Alan Davies thinks, if any team had players or fans involved in a tragedy then I would respect their decision not to play on that date if they choose that. If they choose to play on that date then that's also their choice The crux of this matter is, Liverpool have not played on that date since Hillsborough and have a memorial service and a day of remembrance.

[url=http://More%20shocked%20that%20people%20think%20the%20person%20on%20the%20tele%20may%20not%20be%20the%20same%20person%20when%20off%20the%20tele%20and%20showing%20their%20true%20personality%20and%20views%20%20Let]As Anne Williams said, our players and managers of past and present pay their respects on the 15th, therefore we won't even have a team to play on that day. If showing respect to the 96 and other victims of Hillsborough on the 15th is seen as unacceptable by other teams fans then I am glad I support Liverpool and understand some things are more important than football.

Again I believe the manner in which he said it should be allowed, he didn't harm anyone in the way he said it and he had every right to say what he wishes in the manner in which he wishes it.

Sorry YR, I have to strongly disagree with you there. He did harm the Liverpool fans.

"Oh Hillsborough on the 15th. That gets on my t'ts that ****".

For me, that's an insult to those who died, their families and other fans. It's like saying "Oh, Armistice Day on the 11th, that gets on my t'ts because it's a pain trying to get round London near the Cenotaphe when the roads are closed. Time to move on from all that grieving". *

Different events yes - but people died at both. He has no respect.

* My 2nd quote from a Pool fan, to use as a parellel.

Sorry YR, I have to strongly disagree with you there. He did harm the Liverpool fans.

No he didn't, harm in my book is only physical or financial. Mental harm can only be truly caused by ones self or through physical harm which may have mental manifestations in my book. If we include mental harm almost any speech could be opposed on this very basis.

I thought about joining in on this debate, however I like to try and find some middle ground, however the way it has been reported by the media, the reaction to it on social media, there is no middle ground for the vast majority.

I think the bigger point he was making is concerning footballing schedules, and fixture clashes, and trying to be fair to all parties involved.

Wrong to mention Hillsbrough, however contextually correct.

Hillsborough memorial service is an annual event and is always known well in advance

It is important to the families and players and managers who knew people who died, attended funerals and supported each other after the tragedy

Dalglish's son was in the crowd that day and walked across the pitch to his dad.

It has meaning to those people, why should they be forced to change an annual event to celebrate in a different way?

All this boo hoo about Chelsea having to play on Sunday then Wednesday, didn't Derby just play on Saturday then Monday because of Jesus and the Easter Bunny?

What if it was a Man Utd v Chelsea Champions League Semi Final on Wednesday and both clubs were in separate semi finals this weekend?

Maybe the unfunny permed ones rant would of been better aimed at the FA and the fixture list in general.

Hillsbrough was different due to the reporting afterwards by The Sun, the police cover up and the ling battle for all the facts to be made public.

I've been to Hillsbrough a few times with Derby and the Leppins Lane terrace was an accident waiting to happen. Every time the same crush and fight to get to the ends if the terrace.

If it was a cinema, theatre or indeed any other sport, someone would have been prosecuted and sent to jail for incompetence.

As someone who was there and on the pitch the day of the disaster - it will NEVER leave me.

I dont want to speak about why I thought it happened. it serves no purpose.

I hope I dont get hunted down for telling the truth - but what I do remember and will until the day I die - is that I didn't see a massive amount of respect for the occasion or the families of the dead just a couple of days later in the replayed game from liverpool players and staff. Dalglish was around for that if i remember rightly.

They behaved like thugs and if I ever meet John Aldridge in the street I'm going to take his head off with either a straight right or a verbal volley. depending on how I feel when I see his cheating nasty twisted "grieving" face.

Hillsborough was a horrible horrilbe day and NOTHING anyone ever does will be able to erase what happened or bring back the innocent dead - I still take my minute anywhere I am in the world to reflect and pray.

Davies didnt really say anything nasty at all he just gave his view - it's not like the lad has a massive influence and in my opinion it's been blown out of proportion.

It's as if you dare not speak a view either way without risking death threats? it wasn't Allan bloody davies who made the decisions that day and it won't be Allan bloody Davies who decides if Liverpool play or not.

Like he said, and I said earlier...

the FA Cup Semi Final against Everton could be used as a CELEBRATION of the lives of all those people who tragically lost their lives that day. A real chance to remember.

It is the ideal chance for everyone to do this.

That might be how you would choose to do it, but Liverpool fans have their own way of marking it. It's all about choice.

I'm sorry you were there to witness first hand the horrors of that day PBW - but if you don't mind me asking, who were behaving like thugs? The players? Fans?

That might be how you would choose to do it, but Liverpool fans have their own way of marking it. It's all about choice.

But Mr Davies isn't forcing anyone to play on a certain day, he is just giving his opinion on how they mark that tragic event. In all honesty I am with Davies but for different reasons which no doubt if I spelled them out on here I will be crucified for.

I should add by the way - that I think the memorial is and has been held every year and I dont think Liverpool have ever played on the date since.

If Liverpool FC and the community have decided that is the way they would like to respect the day then thats the way they should be allowed to do it.

This is bigger than football.

I just dont see the need for any more than a "dont be daft" response to what Davies said.

Nobody's crucifying anyone YR - disagreeing yes.

I'm afraid, my good man, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one, I think we're going round in circles. You're like a dog with a bone - but then again, if I've got a bee in me bonnet, so am I.

Hey ho 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I should add by the way - that I think the memorial is and has been held every year and I dont think Liverpool have ever played on the date since.

If Liverpool FC and the community have decided that is the way they would like to respect the day then thats the way they should be allowed to do it.

This is bigger than football.

I just dont see the need for any more than a "dont be daft" response to what Davies said.

That's your opinion PBW and you're entitled to hold it - but I have a different one and I won't apologise for what others may see as an 'over-reaction'.

I'm not a killjoy and I can take a joke but IMO Davies is insensitive and to quote a Pool fan - "is nothing more than a w*nkstain on Stephen Fry's cravat".

Nobody's crucifying anyone YR - disagreeing yes.

I'm afraid, my good man, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one, I think we're going round in circles. You're like a dog with a bone - but then again, if I've got a bee in me bonnet, so am I.

Hey ho 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

we will disagree on this, I imagine I would be crucified for my reasoning and that is why it is staying out of the public domain 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> We are going round in circles and I do care passionately about free speech because while it isn't perfect like democracy it is the least worst system.

That's your opinion PBW and you're entitled to hold it - but I have a different one and I won't apologise for what others may see as an 'over-reaction'.

I'm not a killjoy and I can take a joke but IMO Davies is insensitive and to quote a Pool fan - "is nothing more than a w*nkstain on Stephen Fry's cravat".

Of course I respect your view here LadyR. It's an extremely sensitive subject.

I don't want any part of you to think I am diminshing the importance of the occasion and the chance to reflect and remember in any way you choose.

Archived