Best Derby Commentator

Brammie Steve

Gone are the days when I could look forward to brilliant commentaries from Radio Derby by Graham Richards.

Like Kenny Everitt on the radio, sometimes the comments were worth having the radio on. In Kenny's case you couldn't wait for the song to finish. With Graham Richards the football often seemed to get in the way.

Win lose or draw, it always added to the entertainment.

Remember when Shilton dropped it?

Or the other side scored...............

HOW TRAGIC, HOW TRAGIC, HOW TRAGIC!

Can anyone think of any classic commentators and commenataries or do we think it's all over?

Not just RD as this limits things too much.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro 96 final when John Motson was on about the 2 German strikers that had just came on when Stefan Kuntz received the ball and it sounded like he was calling the strikers C U Next TueS. Great piece of commentary (it's on youtube somewhere)

Graham Richards will always be the bench mark.

Those that have followed are nowhere near as good. What is lacking from Bloomfields commentary isn't the accuracy of it, it's the passion. He shows little passion, especially when Derby score. Listen to old archive recordings of Richards and the passion, frustration, jubilation, it was all there in his voice and it was transmitted to you over the radio. Even the miserable ramblings of Ian Hall couldn't dampen the fervour that Richards sent through the microphone.

GOOAAALLLLLLLLLL! THEY'VE DONE IT...... GOOOAAAALLLLLLLLL!!

Bloomfield on the other hand clearly isn't a Derby fan. Yes, I'm sure he has them as his second team now and would like to see us win rather than lose, it's only natural that if you watch a team all round the country that you develop of fondness for them. But it's not his passion, it's not there in his voice, there's a sterile matter-of-fact level to his commentary, whilst being accurate doesn't convey the drama that fans relate to.

Which is why I rarely listen to the commentaries any more.

Euro 96 final when John Motson was on about the 2 German strikers that had just came on when Stefan Kuntz received the ball and it sounded like he was calling the strikers C U Next TueS. Great piece of commentary (it's on youtube somewhere)
lol, I remember that on fantasy football league

Graham Richards will always be the bench mark.

Those that have followed are nowhere near as good. What is lacking from Bloomfields commentary isn't the accuracy of it, it's the passion. He shows little passion, especially when Derby score. Listen to old archive recordings of Richards and the passion, frustration, jubilation, it was all there in his voice and it was transmitted to you over the radio. Even the miserable ramblings of Ian Hall couldn't dampen the fervour that Richards sent through the microphone.

GOOAAALLLLLLLLLL! THEY'VE DONE IT...... GOOOAAAALLLLLLLLL!!

Bloomfield on the other hand clearly isn't a Derby fan. Yes, I'm sure he has them as his second team now and would like to see us win rather than lose, it's only natural that if you watch a team all round the country that you develop of fondness for them. But it's not his passion, it's not there in his voice, there's a sterile matter-of-fact level to his commentary, whilst being accurate doesn't convey the drama that fans relate to.

Which is why I rarely listen to the commentaries any more.

To be fair, I don't think Graham is a true Derby fan, isn't his boyhood team Stoke???

You're right though, Richards will always be the best. Would be nice to get him back a couple of times a season just to hear him come up with ever more wittier ways of describing how dire we are...

Graham Richards is a good call, my childhood memories of the Rams would have been so much different without him.

Colin Bloomfield is ok but lacks that bit of passion, and there was a period of time when after he named who was on the ball he told you who he used to play for. Who cares!!!

A good Commentator is one with a good list of facts and figures not just on your players but others. Remember GR comments on John Useless 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Roger Davies is a safe choice and knows too many people at the club to say anything other than positive words.

Away from Derby my favorite has to be Jonathan Pearce, almost as good as motty.

Graham Richards was brilliant, I don't know whether any commentator for Radio Derby can ever beat the passion he had. I remember getting goosebumps listening to the highlights after the game. As for general commentators I have to say my favourite now is probably Jonathan Pearce/John Motson. Before that it was Barry Davies till he retired. He was great 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I used to work at RD and can confirm that GR was, and is, very much a Derby fan.

Very true and you only had to listen to the tone of his voice to know how Derby were doing, after turning on the radio before the score was announced.

We were very lucky to get the quality we did on Radio Derby for years with Tralinski, Richards and Gibson, who brought great coverage for the fans. It's a shame how poor it is now, even Gibson is a shadow of what he used to be and Bloomfield and Fletcher before him have been pretty dull on the commentary, not really worth listening to.

Can you imagine Graham Richards not getting stuck into some of these players and the management for some of the dross on offer now but the current boys seem scared to say anything controversial at all.

Archived