Best Derby Commentator

Brammie Steve

Richards is the the best radio commentator full stop - he made any game worth listening too.

I don't mind Bloomfield either - if you ever catch another local radio station commentator you realise he's actually pretty good !

Ross Fletcher was also good too.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Richards is the the best radio commentator full stop - he made any game worth listening too.

I don't mind Bloomfield either - if you ever catch another local radio station commentator you realise he's actually pretty good !

Ross Fletcher was also good too.

Yeah, in context, Fletcher was very good and Bloomfield is decent. We were just spolit for a number of years with a legend so anything that comes after perhaps gets unfairly judged.

Gotta be Graham Richards, one of the highlights of my childhood Rams-supporting years. I agree about Bloomfield, he's a decent enough commentator, but lacks the passion that Richards had. Listening to his commentary on Buxton's goal, he didn't make it sound as exciting as it was. On the other hand, Richards's 'GOAL! GOAL! PICK THAT ONE OUT CROSSLEY!' makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, even though it was before my time. Even Ross Fletcher's 'PESCHISOLIDOOOOOOOOOO' (the coffee cup goal) has that effect.

On the topic of other commentators, I always liked the late, great Brian Moore, such gravitas to his voice. I like Martin Tyler as well, one of my all time favourites pieces of commentary was England's 4th against Holland at Euro 96...'Once more in goes SHERRINGHAAAAMMMMMM!' (I can't find it unfortunately 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> ). On the topic of Jonathan Pearce, does anyone remember his first appearances on Channel Five, when he sounded like a Brazilian commentator, going 'goooaaaallll' for a couple of hours after each goal?

first one looked a bit "long ball" to me 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Unfortunately I was born just in time to see us be crap for an incredibly long time

Don't worry Shilts, it won't be forever.I recall everyone telling me what a rubbish team the Rams were, then Tim Ward signed Kevin Hector and things started to look up. The rest is history and could easily repeat itself.

Radio derby has never been the same since graham Richards departure. I rarely listen to it anymore. The last time I listened to Monday phone in was an absolute joke. Hardly any calls from fans, just endless drivel spouted by Bloomfield. I still retain some affection for Colin Gibson but only just! Used to love richard's critic of referees. I seem to remember that Graham Poll was frequently the target of his ire.

Don't worry Shilts, it won't be forever.I recall everyone telling me what a rubbish team the Rams were, then Tim Ward signed Kevin Hector and things started to look up. The rest is history and could easily repeat itself.

Lets hope so, still- it wouldn't do to be winning all the time would it?

Hang on Here !!

Colin Bloomfield from listening regular to Radio Derby from 4pm in car does read the forums.And i have critised in the past as well.But i thnk he is 200% better than he was and im actually happy to listen to him.But Colin if you do read this i have to agree they are all correct when your voice seems to lack a bit of passion.There can be passion in your voice at a rubbish match where we are under performing its quite easy to have a bit of passion when we are winning.

But i Think Colin is doing a fab job.

But yes i have actually left matches when i was young at the BBG to RUNNNNNNNNNN all the way back to that tiny car park on the side streets that use to pack all the cars in bumper to bumper to listen to Richards at the end of the match and the best bit the goals.There are not many commentators that can make you do that.

Colin just a thought.....get Richards back for a few choice matches and dont take this the wrong way but take a few notes and listen to him.The man is a god but Colin your doing a great job and most definitley on the way up in the commentating.

Archived