Rams assist table

blackNwhites

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using the assists table to amplify the lack of creativity we have at the moment.

Whilst there are differing reasons to like Jamie Ward, Craig Bryson, Steve Davies, Ben Davies, Theo Robinson, Jeff Hendrick, James Bailey and Paul Green, we don't have any stand out creative players, unless you look at Jamie Wards knack of troubling defenders.

Another thing could be they aren't supporting each other enough, or maybe playing to selfishly. In the case of Bryson for example, I think he tires himself out closing players down but rarely causing to much bother. Great effort, sure, great passion, great bloke, but he needs to work on the rest of his game. Killer passes, long shots, tackling. Also supporting the target man, since he's a box to box kind of player. Thats if Davies or Ball can hold it up, who rarely achieve this. I think Bryson should be prepared to receive it if Davies or Ball win the ball.

Shaun Barker, against Leicester, won every header he attempted once he was moved up field into the support striker role. There was only 3 chances played to him, but he won all of them. Maybe under less pressure though from defenders.

Tom Carroll is a loan so I'm not going to include him myself, I can see he's got potential and he's here to fill in a void due to the Green transfer rubbish and now Brayfords injury. Perhaps he's a bit to young to have such a demand on him, by the time he's old enough He'll be playing for Tottenham (probably) anyway. One thing is he looks a bit to comfortable, attempting a pass and hitting it to hard or to soft. He becomes to relaxed. Hm, guess I am including him, he needs sharpness I guess.

I agree that Jamie Wards final ball is often lacking in awareness, or that he attempts ridiculous shots far to often, mostly they are blocked. He needs to know when to make a simpler pass or retain the ball. I remember his goal against Palace (was it Palace?), brilliant, but he's trying to replicate it to often.

Steve Davies is a designated tartget man, if he's free he'll maybe score. If he's under pressure he doesn't win the ball often enough. Callum Ball as tall and big as he is, can't jump for toffee. Either that or he waits until the ball is to low in the air to jump, by which his marker has already jumped and beaten him to the ball.

We're a work in progress, and towards the end of this season and in preperation for the next, I'd hope all these players work on their weaknesses. Especially Savies, Bryson and Ward.

He also put in a fantastic ball for S.Davies against Barnsley in the last minute..

Assists are all dependant on whether the striker scores or not.. It's why I believe it can be very misleading. As emjlc02 says someone could take 4 players on or run the length of the field, only to pass it to someone who then scuffs his shot and someone else fires in the rebound.. Yet the assist goes to the person who touched the ball last before scoring.

They should do it how they do in Ice Hockey, give the assist to either 2 players or those who contributed most to creating the goal.

I totally agree with all of that. I was only highlighting that for every assist of ben davies' against forest there is 1 like against Milwall. (P.s. Nice to see you back on)

Not a coincidence by any means. One of the things that I was getting annoyed about with Bavies earlier in the season was his unwillingness to try and get past people. He’d always be trying to cross it straight away or faling that win corners and free kicks.

In retrospect that’s what we’ve missed. Someone who gets the ball and immediately looks to set something up for a team mate. Wardy god love him, gets the ball and wants to go past 5 defenders before he even looks up. Same with Tyson

Even where Bavies hasn’t directly assisted a goal, his constant playing of the ball into danger areas unnerves the opponents defence and gives us attacking momentum

I think pace does help, but you don't need to be really quick to be a good winger, and Ben Davies isn't slow, he uses his body well which allows him to get that extra yard on a player, and as soon as he's touched he falls over, which allows him to use his best attribute (apparently) and put a free kick into the box. Got to bear in mind as well, that not all left backs in the league are quick.

The only one at Derby certainly isn't

Assists table my arse 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

I know lets have a deflection table of players the ball strikes and completely changes the direction deceiving the goalie, who otherwise may have made a save.

I may be mis-interpreting what you're getting at but are you implying assists are irrelevant?

'Assists' are rubbish because as you mentioned above, because a player can do so much, but if he's not the last to touch the ball before the scorer, he doesn't get it to his name. Doesn't seem right.

It is right as that's what an assist is- what isn't right is the amount of emphasis people put on assists, they really aren't that important

It is right as that's what an assist is- what isn't right is the amount of emphasis people put on assists, they really aren't that important

So if I pass, it comes off another players arse and the forward scores, they've not really assisted, have they? Just got in the way. I assisted with my wonderful amazing accurate pass

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

The players arse technically assisted. Just trying to say that people look too much into the stats- you can tell who is and isn't contributing by using your eyes without the need to look at stats. The only stats I care about are match results as they are only ones that matter

Ben Davies assists I remember...

For Shackell against Birmingham from a corner

For Kilbane and Sdavies against Doncaster

For Hendrick against Forest

For Bryson and Hendrick against Millwall

(he was also brought down for the penalty against Barnsley)

For Robinsons goal against Southampton

For Sdavies against Birmingham

For Sdavies against Blackpool

according to the OS... there was a few others where he'd set up the chance like Robinson against Reading and Robinson against Peterborough that he isn't credited with!

looking back, he has definitely been an influential player for us, no one can argue that!

Assists is an Americanism that has crept into the game since they decide to give it more TV time in the states, it comes originally from Ice Hockey, and thats where it should have stayed.

i agree mate,there's too much Americanism creeping into not only football but everyday life as well

Archived