Mark O'Brien

Gareth Roberts

James Bailey

Jeff Hendrick - 1

Nathan Tyson

Callum Ball

Lee Croft

Jason Shackell

Disappointing from Jamie Ward, Craig Bryson and Paul Green. You'd hope players in their positions would be involved more. We've only scored 35 goals in 33 games as well.

Maybe it's just my idea of old school football, ala England at euro 96 for example. We're not a very effective attacking squad.

I've stood up for Jamie Ward in the past, and still credit his ability to get past a defender using a bit of skill. But his lack of assists is a concern, would you agree?

Same goes for Bryson and Green.

Note that Steve Davies doesn't have a single assist to his name.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assist table means little in my opinion.

Some players make a lot of killer balls only for the final player to faf it up, and we have a lot of final players who are capable of faffing it up.

I think we're lacking that bit of creativity in the attacking area as a whole.

I think the reason Jamie Ward has so little is because he's 'targeted' so much by opposing teams, and they know he is our main threat. Ben Davies has the opportunity to add more assists to his tally compared to the likes of Ward and Green because he used to take all our free-kicks and corners.

When you look at the assist table across the whole league Ben Davies is 7th with just the 8 assists despite not playing for weeks. Looking at West Ham Matty Taylor has 6, Noble and Faubert with 4 a piece. I'd say for our league position our stats are about right.

Jamie Ward is also 15th in the league for most shots, 38 on target, 28 off and hitting the woodwork 5 times

When you look at the assist table across the whole league Ben Davies is 7th with just the 8 assists despite not playing for weeks. Looking at West Ham Matty Taylor has 6, Noble and Faubert with 4 a piece. I'd say for our league position our stats are about right.

Jamie Ward is also 15th in the league for most shots, 38 on target, 28 off and hitting the woodwork 5 times

Well everyone knows 64% of stats are made up...

I think the reason Jamie Ward has so little is because he's 'targeted' so much by opposing teams, and they know he is our main threat. Ben Davies has the opportunity to add more assists to his tally compared to the likes of Ward and Green because he used to take all our free-kicks and corners.

Good point, although it's worth noting Bavies had not played for 13 games untill that last half hour at Brum. Interesting about Wardy, although I'd still hope he could contribute more because he has the ability to get past those men. Not sure about his vision?

I suppose I'm looking for Bryson, Savies and Green to contribure more in assists. As attacking options they should be involved more. Less so with Green because he's playing at RB, but still think he should get forward more often. The link up play with him and Hendrick for Theo's goal was a good example of what he can do, and if he's gonna stay we'd want to see more of that?

Interesting stats on Jamie Ward, mind. Not only in assists but goals. Many of those are long range hopeful shots I expect.

Yeah but if you've got men doubling up on Ward, he won't have the skill to get round them, if he did he'd be playing in the premier league. Thats why we need someone who can do something on the other side to give opponent defences more to think about, and free up a bit more room for Ward.

I suppose I'm looking for Bryson, Savies and Green to contribure more in assists. As attacking options they should be involved more. Less so with Green because he's playing at RB, but still think he should get forward more often. The link up play with him and Hendrick for Theo's goal was a good example of what he can do, and if he's gonna stay we'd want to see more of that?

Interesting stats on Jamie Ward, mind. Not only in assists but goals. Many of those are long range hopeful shots I expect.

Bryson I can maybe understand but Green has only made 15 starts since his injury and been played out wide or right back for most of those, can't complain at 2 assists and a goal. S Davies is a lazy ****.

Bryson I can maybe understand but Green has only made 15 starts since his injury and been played out wide or right back for most of those, can't complain at 2 assists and a goal. S Davies is a lazy ****.

So is Berbatov, but I don't care as long as he puts the ball in the back of the net!

Tyson will cover twice as much ground as Steve Davies during a game, but i know which one id prefer the ball to fall to 12 yards out.

Yeah, I'll hold off on Green. I'm always hard on the guy to be honest.

Savies is a strange one, he can score a goal or two but he's not offering much else. His instructions are to hold up play, at a guess but rarely succeeds. We need his replacement up top.

Suppose that's why I'm looking more to Bryson as well, surely he should be linking up with Savies. That's not even considering Hendrick and Bailey, but they're involved more in the build up play coming forward. I like Bryson, he's a trier, but not sure about his ability. Bit like the Tito Villa complex, well liked because of his effort but little ability.

I think it's him we need to replace (as well as Savies), if we're going to sign anyone after this season. Don't like saying it but we need a bit more creativity, either from him or somebody new.

So Ben Davies has created more goals in this team than any other player, silly me... thought he was useless 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

If he could run past players, Derby fans would be singing Verve songs about him, and if he was foreign he'd be called the messiah.

Daft but true.

Stats can be misleading though, a player can play a two yard pass and then the player smash it in from 30 yards and that counts as an assist, or a player can run down the wing, beat 4 men get to the bye line pull it back, a player then lays it off to the scorer the player who laid it off gets the assist

Stats can be misleading though, a player can play a two yard pass and then the player smash it in from 30 yards and that counts as an assist, or a player can run down the wing, beat 4 men get to the bye line pull it back, a player then lays it off to the scorer the player who laid it off gets the assist

Agreed, but there is only 1 I can think of with Ben Davies where he can be given a dubious assist and that was for Hendricks against Forest, the rest that I recall seem pretty legitimate, Jamie Ward hasn't produced anything close to the quality of the cross Ben Davies did for Steve against Birmingham... different players, Ben will put the ball into box all day long the only way this is going to appreciated is if we have a striker who can make use of these crosses... Jamie likes to run at players and cut inside, also likes to shoot a lot.

Agreed, but there is only 1 I can think of with Ben Davies where he can be given a dubious assist and that was for Hendricks against Forest, the rest that I recall seem pretty legitimate, Jamie Ward hasn't produced anything close to the quality of the cross Ben Davies did for Steve against Birmingham... different players, Ben will put the ball into box all day long the only way this is going to appreciated is if we have a striker who can make use of these crosses... Jamie likes to run at players and cut inside, also likes to shoot a lot.

Ben Davies needs the team to be in top as he needs to recieve the ball in the final 3rd to be effective, where as ward can carry the ball for the team and reduce pressure. We are under pressure sadly more than in the dominance.

Some of Bavies' assists are ridiculous though..

A corner to shackell vs Brum

An easy freekick vs Blackpool that was parried straight to Bryson

A miscontrol that led to Hendrick scoring vs Forest

A scuffed shot vs Southampton that Theo fired in the rebound..

Don't get me wrong his assists vs Donny and Brum away were good.. But his general play isn't that good.

Ward has been far more creative without putting in the final ball than Bavies. Ward tends to attract 2 defenders and pulls players out of position with his running, Bavies doesn't do that.

It's easy to look at this and think Bavies is a 'creative' player.. I personally don't think he is but he's worth having around the squad.. Regardless of his assists he wouldn't be in my first 11. Perhpas the break has done him good as he was shocking for a few weeks in November, but he certainly made an impact on Saturday

Archived