Rams assist table

blackNwhites

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had Buxton not scored, Ben Davies wouldn't have had an assist.. And Ben Davies' general play is sh*te.. Assists are pointless, I'm going round in circles here, it's all dependant on the striker scoring..

I’m not sure quite why you aren’t getting this. No one is arguing that assists is a meaningless statistic in real terms. The only statistics that effect a club’s league position are goals scored/conceded and games won/drawn/lost.

However assists is a very good (to give it the official statistical term) pipeline indicator. If a team score 10 goals and the same player gets the assist for all 10 of those goals then it’s a bloody good indicator that the player in question is having a valuable input to the MEANINGFUL statistics.

This is proven in no uncertain terms – when Bavies was out of the team we weren’t scoring and we weren’t winning. He’s back in the team and got several assists and we’ve won/drawn a few games. It’s such a simple concept that anyone arguing the relevance is either a bit thick or simply has an axe to grind about the player in question.

At the end of the day if assists weren’t of any interest then why would the football league publish the charts and why would we be discussing it?

No it doesn’t make Ben Davies a GOOD player but it does show in unarguable terms his positive impact on the things that matter. Goals and results.

That’s all we’re saying!

This is proven in no uncertain terms – when Bavies was out of the team we weren’t scoring and we weren’t winning. He’s back in the team and got several assists and we’ve won/drawn a few games. It’s such a simple concept that anyone arguing the relevance is either a bit thick or simply has an axe to grind about the player in question.

There virtually no difference in our win/draw/loss ratio when Ben Davies started and didn't start.

Matches with: W10 D4 L11

As a %: W40 D16 L44

Matches without: W5 D3 L6

As a %: W36 D21 L43

And without him how many other chances did we miss..

Had Buxton not scored, Ben Davies wouldn't have had an assist.. And Ben Davies' general play is sh*te.. Assists are pointless, I'm going round in circles here, it's all dependant on the striker scoring..

X player could have had Y amount of assists if J had scored..

Regardless of assists, Ben Davies isn't good enough for a top 12 NPC team.. His general play isn't good enough. But I will congratulate his miscontrol against Forest and a decent cross yesterday.. Therefore he contributes alot to this team..

Because nobody agrees with you. You won't stop until you've changed everyones mind...and thats not going to happen.

Because nobody agrees with you. You won't stop until you've changed everyones mind...and thats not going to happen.

I had an opinion, and was asked to explain myself... I did that, then someone else reiterated the same question.. Hence why I said I'm going round in circles.. If someone asks me to explain myself, I will.. I'm not trying to change anyones opinions, I was merely explaining my own..

If you don't like that, don't follow my posts.. Simple really.. I couldn't give a feck if you don't agree with me, in fact I actually prefer it that you don't, at least we then have a reason to debate and something to talk about..

I'm not too sure where this assists are not important point is coming from either Bris.

Usually after every goal at pretty much every level you'll see two things happen, there'll be a group of players celebrating with the lad who got the goal even if it was a tap in, sometimes there'll be the striker running to the crowd instead of to his mates, then there'll be the group of clever players who run to the bloke who put in the inch perfect ball. Or to the central midfielder who put in a cruncher to get the ball back. Assists in my opinion are vital, wiithout them you'd be hard pressed to get a lot of goals,

To dismiss the contribution of someone who has created at least 10 league goals this season is a bit harsh, whether they come from corners, freekicks or deflections of left nut sacks.

Every other team in the league have regular set piece and corner takers. I'd be keen to see a list of every other right winger in the division who has 10 assists.

Ask any decent attacking midfielder at any level what he prides himself on and I bet 90% would come back with laying on a goal for his team mate.

I'm not sure me and thee will ever have a great time talking football over a pint but I must admit after reading your posts I do laugh a lot.

I'm not too sure where this assists are not important point is coming from either Bris.

Don't get me wrong PBW I'm not saying that Bavies hasn't contributed anything.. He has contributed to the team.. But I touched on a comment that was something like 'If it wasn't for Bavies' or 'How many point would we have lost if it wasn't for Bavies'

Our win percentage is roughly the same with or without Bavies.. And as Emjl mentioned, an assist doesn't add to who contributed most to the goal... Bavies has contributed to the team, but no more than Ward, Bryson, Roberts or Bailey.. One could look at a stat and think 'Wow, 10 assists, if it wasn't for him where would we be' and on the flip side without him we've won roughly the same as we have with him.. Does this information suggest that he's made a huge impact? Or does it merely suggest that he's contributed as much as anyone else in a team game?

I would like to know who has the highest win % our of all of our players.. Although probably an irrelevant stat. Bearing in mind they have had to have played at least 10-12 games.. I'd have a guess and say it's Green.

I’d like to see the Bavies win ratio if you exclude his/the team’s bad run of form leading up to Christmas.

The fact he was in the team during that spell is skewing his stats – as the original thrust of this topic was that during our second bad run he wasn’t playing. When he came back things improved.

But like you say – you can prove anything with stats..

My point is that during the second bad run – Ward was also having a bad spell of form, so we had no one in midfield creating decent chances for the strikers to feed off. I think NC should have brough bavies back a few games sooner is all

I’d like to see the Bavies win ratio if you exclude his/the team’s bad run of form leading up to Christmas.

The fact he was in the team during that spell is skewing his stats – as the original thrust of this topic was that during our second bad run he wasn’t playing. When he came back things improved.

But like you say – you can prove anything with stats..

My point is that during the second bad run – Ward was also having a bad spell of form, so we had no one in midfield creating decent chances for the strikers to feed off. I think NC should have brough bavies back a few games sooner is all

Why is it unfair to exclude his stats from our bad run? Perhaps our bad run coincided with the missing of key players, or perhaps our good run has now coincided with other players such as Theo, Steve Davies and Tyson coming back into the side..

I don't understand why you would take out his bad form? Why not take out his good form?

Bavies has been apart of a team that was winning and has been apart of a team that was losing.. In fact during our good spell of December time and early January I don't remember Bavies playing many games at all.. Actually during our best run of the season Bavies didn't start in any of games..

what about the other Davies? Steven.

he started in all four of our first four wins, now he's come back we've won 3 out of 4.

I reckon from his 15 starts he's had 8 wins and 3 draws. Not too shabby at all - in fact Steven Davies is our saviour.

what about the other Davies? Steven.

he started in all four of our first four wins, now he's come back we've won 3 out of 4.

I reckon from his 15 starts he's had 8 wins and 3 draws. Not too shabby at all - in fact Steven Davies is our saviour.

Close, won 7, drew 3, lost 5.

CumbrianRam you're the stat man on here.. You should make a list of players and their win % (if they've played for than 12 games) in comparison to games they've missed and we can see who essentially (from a stats point of view) see who our most valuable players are..

It's alot of work I know, but I'm intrigued and too lazy to do it myself..

I'd hazard a guess Green, Davies and Theo are the top 3.. Controversially I don't think anyone would have a poor stat.. I can't think of a 'regular' who's missed out on our decent runs and were only included in the poor runs (Tom Carroll aside).. Very much a squad with no outstanding individuals

I had an opinion, and was asked to explain myself... I did that, then someone else reiterated the same question.. Hence why I said I'm going round in circles.. If someone asks me to explain myself, I will.. I'm not trying to change anyones opinions, I was merely explaining my own..

If you don't like that, don't follow my posts.. Simple really.. I couldn't give a feck if you don't agree with me, in fact I actually prefer it that you don't, at least we then have a reason to debate and something to talk about..

Ah, well I got the wrong impression then, my bad.

CumbrianRam you're the stat man on here.. You should make a list of players and their win % (if they've played for than 12 games) in comparison to games they've missed and we can see who essentially (from a stats point of view) see who our most valuable players are..

It's alot of work I know, but I'm intrigued and too lazy to do it myself..

I'd hazard a guess Green, Davies and Theo are the top 3.. Controversially I don't think anyone would have a poor stat.. I can't think of a 'regular' who's missed out on our decent runs and were only included in the poor runs (Tom Carroll aside).. Very much a squad with no outstanding individuals

Its not that hard, just on the below website, click player filter, select the players you want to show and it pops up. You can pick two players if you want and it goes back to the 1996/97 season!

[url=http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=747&teamTabs=results]http://www.soccerbas...eamTabs=results

For example with Shuan Barker starting we win 8, draw 4 and lose 9

Without we win 8, draw 3 and lose 8.

Two that stood out from that soccerbase link...

Hendrick hasn't started 10 games, of these we've won 7, drawn 1 and only lost 2.

Conversely, Bailey would appear to be towards the top (in terms of wins to games started). Out of 19 starts, we've won 10, drawn 2 and lost 7.

Forget stats.

Does anyone actually WATCH him play.

He's not very good at passing, tackling, dribbling. He's not awful. But he's not good.

You can't just point at stats and say "he's good". Sit next to me and show me what's good. Don't show me a stat sheet. Show me what he does that makes us better with him than without him.

Not saying he's a rubbish let down. I'm saying he's the exact sort of player we need to improve on in the summer. He's taking up creative positions and not doing anything. Except on a stats sheet.

We can't afford defenders that can't defend. Attackers that don't attack. Tick over players that aren't consistent. Destructive players that don't break play.

Bavies is OK. But he's an attacking player who doesn't do anything pro-active for 85 mins in a match.

It's not enough.

David Silva can pass, dribble as good as most footballers in the world. Turn defence into attack. Dictate pace. Open defence with team splitting passes and is a very intelligent mover. A tremendous carrier of the ball.

Why would anyone call him ****?

He's good whatever his stats say.

Archived