After 32 games, comparing last four seasons

Stimacked

Looking at how Derby have performed results wise over the last four seasons in the championship and ignoring the other work that has been going on at the club to reduce the wage bill and so on.

2008-2009 season.

Clough's fourth game as manager

The 32nd match was Derby's 4th straight win under Clough and a 3-1 win over Forest.

Derby were on 41 points and 15th in the table.

Finished 18th

2009-10

Clough's first full season.

Derby had just come off a good run beating Forest, Newcastle and Preston.

Lost the 32nd game 0-1 to Swansea.

Rams were on 39 points and 14thth in the table.

2010-2011

Clough's second full season. Savage's last.

Derby were on a barren run of 8 games without a win, Clough's longest winless run as manager!

Commons departed in the transfer window.

The Rams had failed to score in 6 of the 8 matches.

Derby lost the 32nd game 0-1 to Hull and were 19th in the table. on 36 points

(Derby won the following match.)

Finished the season 19th.

2011-2012

Clough's 3rd full season (so far!)

Derby are on their 2nd 6 game run without a win this season.

Like last season's winter blues, Derby have failed to score in 5 of the last 6.

Derby lost the 32nd game to Leicester 0-1. Sounds familiar!

15th in the league and on 42 points.

The wage bill is probably around a third of the one that was being paid out in the 2008-9 season.

As far as results are we are treading water and going nowhere.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted this in this thread -

Nothing dramatic, but considering all the ins and outs, not bad. Largely a young squad at Derby. We have the 2nd youngest squad in this division, so it's not as bad as people make out. Although disappointing to still be languishing in the bottom half, a bit of optimism wouldn't go amiss instead of getting on this young teams back. They need our support.

2 minutes into the game yesterday and already the home 'support' were moaning after a somewhat optimistic start in terms of vocalness. Then boo's at half time. Better support in the 2nd half and then boo's at full time.

Disgusting!

We're supposed to support the team, particularly the youngsters, but all most can do is bitch and moan. Ridiculous.

It will be justified by many our manger is doing a great job and proved he is the long term solution as the wage bill is lots lower (the squad is also half in size after Jewell I will sign anyone who is availible) and the team is pretty much the same level.

I think people forget the size the squad was and a lot of the lowering of the wage bill was actually by letting players contracts run out who werent involved anyway. This is the main thing our manager is praised for.

A good summing up of our (lack of) progress, I wonder how many people will argue with it...

can't argue with that, no progress whatsover.

oh apart from the wage bill been massively reduced and our best players (Commons/Hulse) and expensive players all leaving.

why can't we just 'sack the board' and get a mega rich fan to subsidise the club. we could then blow millions on overpaid players who are a bit better than we've already got. we could then reach the promised land of the bottom rungs of the premiership, just about surviving but spending millions more.

we've been trying boom and bust since the 70s and we've got one 4ish place under Arthur and and couple of 10ths under the eagle to show for it. oh, and a new ground and trainging facility to be fair.

i know we have to live and die within the last 3 matches of current form, but a longer term strategy might end up good in the, erm, long term.

i can't see how the club won't buy a goal scorer and a couple of other decent players in the summer and next season we'll be top 6. the books are balanced. it just seems obvious to me. there is no way that next season we won't have 3 or so big improvents in the squad

Our starting back 5 are blatantly good enough and Legs and OB are good cover. We obviously need some full back cover and here we need young cheaper players. Like Naylor.

2-3 of Bailey/Bryson/Hendrick/Green(?) are good enough to start

2 of Ward/Tyson/S.Davies are good enough for first XI

The likes of Theo/Ball/Ben Davies/Bennett are good reserves

2-3 new midfield/forward players to complement the decent but workmanlike players we already have and we'll be a strong side.

The players we need are hard to find for a decent price as everyone wants a creative midfielder and a goalscorer.

A foreign creative player would be good, as the foreign ones always are.

A proven goal scorer from Div 1 would be good. From the Champ, even better but unlikely.

Easy

Were Commons and Hulse overpaid I dont know what they were on? For me they are a better than the current forward players so normally the better people get paid more, its something that happens throughout the world.

don't know if they were overpaid, but they were certainly better and paid more than the players who replaced them. their replacements, and the replacements of the other big earners have produced results at least as good as they did. much better really as 15th is the lowest we've been this season where previous seasons it was about the best.

Posted this in this thread - [url=

Nothing dramatic, but considering all the ins and outs, not bad. Largely a young squad at Derby. We have the 2nd youngest squad in this division, so it's not as bad as people make out. Although disappointing to still be languishing in the bottom half, a bit of optimism wouldn't go amiss instead of getting on this young teams back. They need our support.

2 minutes into the game yesterday and already the home 'support' were moaning after a somewhat optimistic start in terms of vocalness. Then boo's at half time. Better support in the 2nd half and then boo's at full time.

Disgusting!

We're supposed to support the team, particularly the youngsters, but all most can do is bitch and moan. Ridiculous.

It won't surprise many to see that I agree with you. I put the question elsewhere as to why the players can't pass straight or control the ball. I'm interested to see that a few think it's down to the management team. Could it also be down to having to play in front of a difficult crowd as well?

Could it also be down to having to play in front of a difficult crowd as well?

I can't say it's been that much better away from home from the games I've seen. As much as I don't like the negativity at home and it can't help them, it's down to players, who are on astronomical wages, to pass a football 10 yards accurately now and again.

I think everyone involved is to blame.

can't argue with that, no progress whatsover.

oh apart from the wage bill been massively reduced and our best players (Commons/Hulse) and expensive players all leaving.

why can't we just 'sack the board' and get a mega rich fan to subsidise the club. we could then blow millions on overpaid players who are a bit better than we've already got. we could then reach the promised land of the bottom rungs of the premiership, just about surviving but spending millions more.

we've been trying boom and bust since the 70s and we've got one 4ish place under Arthur and and couple of 10ths under the eagle to show for it. oh, and a new ground and trainging facility to be fair.

i know we have to live and die within the last 3 matches of current form, but a longer term strategy might end up good in the, erm, long term.

i can't see how the club won't buy a goal scorer and a couple of other decent players in the summer and next season we'll be top 6. the books are balanced. it just seems obvious to me. there is no way that next season we won't have 3 or so big improvents in the squad

Our starting back 5 are blatantly good enough and Legs and OB are good cover. We obviously need some full back cover and here we need young cheaper players. Like Naylor.

2-3 of Bailey/Bryson/Hendrick/Green(?) are good enough to start

2 of Ward/Tyson/S.Davies are good enough for first XI

The likes of Theo/Ball/Ben Davies/Bennett are good reserves

2-3 new midfield/forward players to complement the decent but workmanlike players we already have and we'll be a strong side.

The players we need are hard to find for a decent price as everyone wants a creative midfielder and a goalscorer.

A foreign creative player would be good, as the foreign ones always are.

A proven goal scorer from Div 1 would be good. From the Champ, even better but unlikely.

Easy

Easy indeed, very good synopsis. All comes down to whether the board are willing to spend even up to the million or so required for a good L1 striker and same for the playmaker. If they are, we could be in buysiness next season, if not then the same influx of 250-400k type players we've been going for in the last year won't really take us any further.

I really don't think we're far off, but we don't want any more youngsters who may or may not be good in five years' time, we need experienced talent who can instantly improve the team. And they cost. That's the challenge for the board.

My prediction for this season is 16th. That would be 3 places better than last year and 2 places worse than the year before that. In summary, give or take a few points we're not moving anywhere. I wonder what players like Barker must be thinking, he'll be dead by the time we reach the playoffs.

yes just like the young miles addison who has ....ermm ...left.

I like Miles Addison as well, but judging from his comments in the press regarding his move to Bournemouth, his heart isn't in it and his head is elsewhere.

Again, Clough has iterated that he wants his squad, as individuals, to be at home in a Derby shirt. He wants triers, to be proud of playing for Derby.

Addisons comments indicate he is not.

While it is easy to paint a picture of what MAY happen I like to deal with what has happened. We have stagnated for 3 years, there is no evidence this will change. The squad lacks any depth and one injury seems to make our defence extremely fragile, our attack blunt and our midfield pointless. Everyones positive predictions rely upon the board putting hard cash into center forwards, this is when income will be tightened, no relative pressure for any investment and the team in no danger. The board invested this season for the simple reason if they didn't it was game over as far as the championship was concerned. I think everyone could see it, the squad wasn't fit for purpose, so Glick being pragmatic advised the owners to give Clough a couple of million to keep us afloat. This is just my theory.

I don't think they will invest this season, a striker worth less than a million in a similar mould to tyson will come in. There is no pressure to do so so they wont. There is no evidence to suggest improvement, the team lack consistensy and many signings are thrown out of the door. Youth while it can work, can also fall flat if one isn't careful about it.

I like Miles Addison as well, but judging from his comments in the press regarding his move to Bournemouth, his heart isn't in it and his head is elsewhere.

Again, Clough has iterated that he wants his squad, as individuals, to be at home in a Derby shirt. He wants triers, to be proud of playing for Derby.

Addisons comments indicate he is not.

simply not true, from what I gather he signed a contract, wanted to play but then never got a chance and was rightly frustrated. The treatment of him seems like Addison said "strange" he is frustrated and rightly so. He wants to be at a club with ambition and who can blame him? the problem is with supporters is that anyone be it player or fan who casts doubt upon this regime ( including clough) instantly gets branded as not behind the team, not a true fan and deluded amongst other things.

While it is easy to paint a picture of what MAY happen I like to deal with what has happened. We have stagnated for 3 years, there is no evidence this will change. The squad lacks any depth and one injury seems to make our defence extremely fragile, our attack blunt and our midfield pointless. Everyones positive predictions rely upon the board putting hard cash into center forwards, this is when income will be tightened, no relative pressure for any investment and the team in no danger. The board invested this season for the simple reason if they didn't it was game over as far as the championship was concerned. I think everyone could see it, the squad wasn't fit for purpose, so Glick being pragmatic advised the owners to give Clough a couple of million to keep us afloat. This is just my theory.

I don't think they will invest this season, a striker worth less than a million in a similar mould to tyson will come in. There is no pressure to do so so they wont. There is no evidence to suggest improvement, the team lack consistensy and many signings are thrown out of the door. Youth while it can work, can also fall flat if one isn't careful about it.

Your painting is incomplete.

Archived