Mildly Pleased

ElBeef

I was thinking last night how i believe Derby are in a good place at the minute, bear with me and i will explain......

When BD was manager he splashed the cash in the January window to get us up. He brought in what now we see as average players but it did the job, little did he know how much it would hurt us in the long run. Looking at Jewels time here....(Bananas!!) well he put the nail in the coffin that has taken this long to sort out (and hes at it again at Ipswich)

With them in mind cast your mind back to Ravenelli and the possible capture of Baggio. Great players in their day but buying Ravenelli at that time really killed us and we are still paying for that mistake (if not still paying him!!)

Look at West Ham yesterday. Now they have 12 strikers at the club with internationals not even starting. Baldock must be gutted and you have to ask the question why oh why has Maynard gone there, surely not for football reasons.

So back to Derby and the early spring cleaning dust settling. I am happy to see how Nigel and the board are running the club. When the FFP comes in we will be in a great position to compete, hopefully. The main thing is they are running a business with a tight budget and a business model. When we saw the Americans coming in with their history and big bucks we thought they would splash the cash but thank god they didn't. In an early interview with Glick i seem to remember him saying that although the people surounding the club had money they made there american teams succesful by working to a formula and not throwing cash at it.

Ok so we are not the Derby of old where we would throw money at the club and then see what happens. I would not like any other Manager or Board at the minute until the time comes when we are in a position to spend £3m on a player. I know that is a long way off but until then we have to be realistic and know this is a long process that will take a few more years to stablise.

I am happy with the squad at the minute and would be very happy at finishing in the top 10. Lets not get involved in the silly play off thing, what would we do if we got promoted. Mind you if we did the money would come in handy when we got relegated and im sure we would fair much better, even with this squad. Remember finishing in the 10 ten would be our best league position in what 10 years!!!!!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you applying for a job, elbeef, or do you already have one as DCFC PR man,i must say your accent isnt American,so maybe the board recruited locally, tell me, do the board have a wage cap ?, How many members of the board are there really ?. is it true NC is on a profit share ?

Teasing apart, i'd like to live to see this all come true,and I hope they have a plan for the prem.... a good one.

I was thinking last night how i believe Derby are in a good place at the minute, bear with me and i will explain......

When BD was manager he splashed the cash in the January window to get us up. He brought in what now we see as average players but it did the job, little did he know how much it would hurt us in the long run. Looking at Jewels time here....(Bananas!!) well he put the nail in the coffin that has taken this long to sort out (and hes at it again at Ipswich)

With them in mind cast your mind back to Ravenelli and the possible capture of Baggio. Great players in their day but buying Ravenelli at that time really killed us and we are still paying for that mistake (if not still paying him!!)

Look at West Ham yesterday. Now they have 12 strikers at the club with internationals not even starting. Baldock must be gutted and you have to ask the question why oh why has Maynard gone there, surely not for football reasons.

So back to Derby and the early spring cleaning dust settling. I am happy to see how Nigel and the board are running the club. When the FFP comes in we will be in a great position to compete, hopefully. The main thing is they are running a business with a tight budget and a business model. When we saw the Americans coming in with their history and big bucks we thought they would splash the cash but thank god they didn't. In an early interview with Glick i seem to remember him saying that although the people surounding the club had money they made there american teams succesful by working to a formula and not throwing cash at it.

Ok so we are not the Derby of old where we would throw money at the club and then see what happens. I would not like any other Manager or Board at the minute until the time comes when we are in a position to spend £3m on a player. I know that is a long way off but until then we have to be realistic and know this is a long process that will take a few more years to stablise.

I am happy with the squad at the minute and would be very happy at finishing in the top 10. Lets not get involved in the silly play off thing, what would we do if we got promoted. Mind you if we did the money would come in handy when we got relegated and im sure we would fair much better, even with this squad. Remember finishing in the 10 ten would be our best league position in what 10 years!!!!!

Ok Tom, we know its you.

Agree mosty. Although to warn you, you'll be shot to **** for this post.

You're right. I thought it's a good post too but I would, I suppose.

Anyway, while I'm on.

Clough out, Glick out, Sun's out, Carroll's not good enough, Noble's too small, Buxton's a name for mineral water, bring back Wanchope and Baiano, although I'm sure they'd struggle with the pace now. Etc.

Anyway, while I'm on.

Clough out, Glick out, Sun's out, Carroll's not good enough, Noble's too small, Buxton's a name for mineral water, bring back Wanchope and Baiano, although I'm sure they'd struggle with the pace now. Etc.

Anyway, while I'm on.

Barker could be another name for a dog (due to the sound it makes.) Conclusion? Barker Out.

Tyson and Bryson rhyme with Dyson. Its a mans game. Hoovers out.

First 3 Letters of Nobles name.. spell nob.. if i say i like nob that would make me gay. Nob out. (just to clarify i mean Noble out of the squad, not nob out of trousers.)

I think we're attracting the right sort of player, I don't think we're a side that people will think 'if I go there I will be well in the money' and at the minute there is an air of honesty about the club, everyone knows their role and what we're working towards at the club and great team spirit, a settled backroom staff and boardroom. Don't get me wrong I would love to think we had millions to spend in waiting, and we was only going to do it for the right players but at the minute, the Americans are very intent to see us compete off our own back, they're covering losses at the minute and they want to be a position where we're making profits which we're not that far from... infact with the recent out-goings we could possibly be hitting our target!

I can see why people get frustrated, but the people who consistently moan strike me as goldflish... It's been like this for 3 years now, why would they approach the club differently over a nights sleep? they're building and making us a sustainable club!

Remember finishing in the 10 ten would be our best league position in what 10 years!!!!!

On the 6 May 2007 we beat leeds 2-0 to finish 3rd in the league

Of course you will have still probably been in America, and the championship isnt that big over there, so I can understand 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

[size=1]Im only joking before the I get abuse.[/size]

I think the Op was correct in many parts of his post, but I feel if we spent 2 million on a creative midfielder and 2 million on a striker we would certainly be in the playoffs and maybe a shout at automatic promotion, it's jsut frustrating that we are only a couple of players away. I think there is a balance between reasonable investment at critical times and lack of funding which has potential to stunt the club, luckily we spent in the summer and hopefully this summer we can bring in a striker with a good track record and a creative midfielder.

Welcome ElBeef!

Almost like I wrote that post myself- a bit of optimism after a defeat (and a bizarre first half) is good to see. I think we are on the same page and club seems to be ticking along nicely. Lets hope that it continues but we don't finish in the playoffs until at least next season.

Excellent post, and I have the exact same opinion as it. Far too long clubs and managers have gambled on promotion, staying up and it just comes back to bite them, and possibly distroy them. Would you swap this season and the previous two for what forest have achieved so far? I doubt anyone wood (see a tree joke there!).

I think last night was a good dose of medicine for the players, and the fans. I am glad it came when it did. It made them aware that virtually any side can run away with a game regardless of what the form table says, and a few results have shown that over the last few weeks. Perhaps West Hams performance highlights the fact that they have a glutton of players and those players are now wondering if and when they are going to get a game!?

Unfortunatly Blackpool ruined the night by preventing coventry going above forest, that was more depressing than us losing 3-2.

I think the Op was correct in many parts of his post, but I feel if we spent 2 million on a creative midfielder and 2 million on a striker we would certainly be in the playoffs and maybe a shout at automatic promotion, it's jsut frustrating that we are only a couple of players away. I think there is a balance between reasonable investment at critical times and lack of funding which has potential to stunt the club, luckily we spent in the summer and hopefully this summer we can bring in a striker with a good track record and a creative midfielder.

but thats what 4million? on two players, we've spent around 4million assembling a squad! also big money transfers tend to mean big wages also, disappointed that Marshall went to fester think he would of been a good signing for us, very competent hard working right midfield player!

Im just amazed so many fans are so happy that we are 12th in the championship and all them disgracefull teams above us in the champ and prem over spending and about to go bust. We have got to the stage when being very average in the second tier is good enough for the majority of Derby County fans.

but thats what 4million? on two players, we've spent around 4million assembling a squad! also big money transfers tend to mean big wages also, disappointed that Marshall went to fester think he would of been a good signing for us, very competent hard working right midfield player!

my point is we need to add some real quality to important areas of the squad to challenge for the playoffs and automatic promotion. We need a cm who is creative and can take a good set piece e.g. Idiakez and we need a striker who can bang in the goals and is a real handful. I think a relatively small, sensible investment will push the club that extra bit further, I'm not talking about 8-10 million, I'm talking about 4 million which isn't going to bankrupt us and could give us that extra lift.

Im just amazed so many fans are so happy that we are 12th in the championship and all them disgracefull teams above us in the champ and prem over spending and about to go bust. We have got to the stage when being very average in the second tier is good enough for the majority of Derby County fans.

I wouldn't say I am overally happy at the minute, but we're still very much rebuilding if we finish within 10 points of the play offs (over 60 points) then we've had a good season, next season another year of growth from the players... another year with the majority the same, hopefully 3-4 additions to key areas and next year we can seriously push on.

We're improving, we have a good young squad and we're financially stable... AND we're competitive so, not to much to moan about! the teams above us in general and most below leicester/forest/ipswich are all financial top heavy and no better for it!

I wouldn't say I am overally happy at the minute, but we're still very much rebuilding if we finish within 10 points of the play offs (over 60 points) then we've had a good season, next season another year of growth from the players... another year with the majority the same, hopefully 3-4 additions to key areas and next year we can seriously push on.

We're improving, we have a good young squad and we're financially stable... AND we're competitive so, not to much to moan about! the teams above us in general and most below leicester/forest/ipswich are all financial top heavy and no better for it!

You could also say the same about Southampton, West ham, Cardiff, Boro, Brum, Blackpool, Reading etc. We were not looking like going bust and feel that the accounts at this club are becoming the most important thing to some fans. There is fine lines in this league as we all know im sure if we gave clough some proper money to spend say 3-4 million we could be in the mix more than we are and our squad wouldnt be wafer thin. At the end of the day the best players want the better wages and we could still keep with the philosophy of buying younger hungry players. We would be a different team with say Hooper, sharp, salmon etc who we were after and then been priced out of it. Clough even said the other week he would have been hoping for top 6 if we had bought in all the players he wanted last summer but again we didnt.

Archived