Mildly Pleased

ElBeef

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mentioned that the top 10 had all sorted their finances out, I am pretty sure that at least 5 of them have had financial trouble in the last 12 or 24 months.

As we're we the summer before the last two promotions. Football clubs do sometimes especially when owners have had enough but that could still happen to us of ours pulled the plug and put it up for sale and sont put another penny in.

I said that most of the top 10 have come down from the prem and had to cut there cloth in this division but are now still pushing on, I was referring more to the readings, boro, hull of this world. To be fair I don't take lota of notice of the finances of all the other clubs but Pompey apart I don't know any that are close to going bust, I don't take much notice what papers like the sun and the mirror print about us or others.

The funny thing is I know that clough isn't happy with the backing of the board but just has to get on with it. It frustrates him and his staff who want to push the bulb forward.

Well,I think it fits into the category "spending money that you don't have".The amounts are c£3m each time,and there's never an absolute guarantee that future S/T income would cover this.

Going back to 06/07,there's only been one year in which our total wages exceeded income,and that was 06/07 itself.I noticed that "Swissrambler" picked up on this,and rather unfairly described it as unsustainable.What he failed to mention was that the figure would be severely distorted by promotion bonuses,and that such bonuses would be dwarfed by the Prem riches.A rider to this effect should have been appended to the table he produced.

Yes it does fit into that category, but lets be honest, it is quite certain that a club of our size is going to get roughly that amount in season ticket income (and in any case our owners usually tend to plug shortfalls).

My post was on about teams such as West Ham, Cardiff, Hull, Leeds, Portsmouth - all clubs who have spent way beyond their means.

As we're we the summer before the last two promotions. Football clubs do sometimes especially when owners have had enough but that could still happen to us of ours pulled the plug and put it up for sale and sont put another penny in.

I said that most of the top 10 have come down from the prem and had to cut there cloth in this division but are now still pushing on, I was referring more to the readings, boro, hull of this world. To be fair I don't take lota of notice of the finances of all the other clubs but Pompey apart I don't know any that are close to going bust, I don't take much notice what papers like the sun and the mirror print about us or others.

The funny thing is I know that clough isn't happy with the backing of the board but just has to get on with it. It frustrates him and his staff who want to push the bulb forward.

Hull were in a deep financial mess (overseen by a certain Adam Pearson) until a local business jumped in and rescued them!

As much as I understand where you are coming from I imagine NC has known the situation since day 1 and if unhappy nobody is stopping him from walking out the door.

Yes it does fit into that category, but lets be honest, it is quite certain that a club of our size is going to get roughly that amount in season ticket income (and in any case our owners usually tend to plug shortfalls).

My post was on about teams such as West Ham, Cardiff, Hull, Leeds, Portsmouth - all clubs who have spent way beyond their means.

If they've been borrowing money against future S/T money to cover shortfalls,then they're quite obviously shortfalls our owners haven't been plugging.Would you have been confident that,should we have been relegated (which had been too close for comfort in a couple of seasons) ,we would have sold the 14,943 S/T's forming the underlying security for the loans?

I saw a presentation on it recently, went way over my head if passed, but from my simple mind, it only comes into effect next year if passed, clubs will then have time limits to get into the rules. I'm sure I will be corrected !!

Is the financial fair play actually going to be that strict? I can't see how all the chairman voted it in with so many of there clubs being in debt, run so badly and in such a financial mess

As far as I know,it's only been agreed in principle and will be voted on this month.The last time something like this was agreed in principle it was voted down when push came to shove.I'd be very surprised if history weren't repeated.

If they've been borrowing money against future S/T money to cover shortfalls,then they're quite obviously shortfalls our owners haven't been plugging.Would you have been confident that,should we have been relegated (which had been too close for comfort in a couple of seasons) ,we would have sold the 14,943 S/T's forming the underlying security for the loans?

Yes.

The rumour was as I wouldn't want to quote anything mr gadsby did or didn't say was he thought the current board were going to invest heavily in the club way beyond what he could, I'm sure he also made a tidy sum.

As only £14.808m was paid for the 93% that the owners bought,then none of them would have made a great deal,as the total of the amounts they'd all put in would first have to be deducted to determine the overall gain.Gadsby's own holding was significantly reduced due to a transfer to AP,so I wouldn't have thought he'd be the best "tidy sum" example.

Given the risks that they all took,and the subsequent transformation of the financial landscape that they achieved,I would have thought that their respective rewards were unduly modest.

I thought it was because he thought he did not have the time and money to invest in DCFC to take them to the next level.

I wonder if our current owners have the money to invest in DCFC to take us to the level we were once at?

I wonder if our current owners have the money to invest in DCFC to take us to the level we were once at?

I used to be accused of being pro board (I probably still am) but is there any more you can to do to hijack anything I say and hold it against the current owners?! This has all stemmed from me saying about clubs in our division spending way beyond their means!

And it depends what level you are on abou? If you are on about the level where we were whipping boys in The Premier League being humiliated every week I don't believe you need much money to get to that level, just a good manager capable of grinding out results in this division and a bit of luck.

Archived