Derby County v Stoke City

uttoxram75

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My post has gone, the moderators must be bitter too.

Why all the hate?

Was fun today but you could do with a few more singing than that little corner, not very loud and quite embarassing.

Made me laugh, that.

Had to chuckle at the Stoke fans walking back to the ground singing about going on a european tour to Valencia...

"Give me a Veee, Eeeee..." 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mellow' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':mellow:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

As for the corner, tis alright on a league game or against decent opposition, can't understand why anyone would be embarassed about the atmosphere. Stoke at home is never going to get people going, just another boring fixture that has lacklustre written all over it. You might see it as a big 'un, but next week is where our intentions lie.

well all 20 of you were singing it, then all 20 of you said we were inbred, oh the irony.

What's ironic about that? (I know you're not inbred) but whats the irony????

Made me laugh, that.

Had to chuckle at the Stoke fans walking back to the ground singing about going on a european tour to Valencia...

"Give me a Veee, Eeeee..." 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mellow' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':mellow:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

As for the corner, tis alright on a league game or against decent opposition, can't understand why anyone would be embarassed about the atmosphere. Stoke at home is never going to get people going, just another boring fixture that has lacklustre written all over it. You might see it as a big 'un, but next week is where our intentions lie.

It wasn't a big un, but your support was embarrasing.

I found the atmosphere embarassing.

Couldn't go today, I watched an American stream.

The AMERICAN commentators said the atmosphere was flat and we weren't giving our players anything to work with.

The fact they were saying it just sums up our fans' attitude for me.

On to the game - Ball did okay today, when he got the ball he did a decent job of holding it up against Stoke. Who else were we supposed to play anyway?

The reason why we created little is that Pulis saw Ball as a threat. He tried to crowd him out. As a result, the space Bryson and Green enjoyed should have been useful. It wasn't, as neither of them have a good game and Green's not the most creative anyway.

If we had Bryson on song and a right winger as good as Ward, it would have been a different story today. We were one player short.

But anyway, I'm sure I'm meant to be more negative than that. We had no shots on target so it was therefore impossible to take anything positive.

That's the best way to rate a performance. You don't look at the overall play, you just go by shots on target.

I was in a bit of an awkward position today. I'm a lifelong Stoke fan but my wife and her family, along with quite a few friends, are from Derby and most are season ticket holders.

The game went as I'd suggested it would, with Stoke proving themselves too strong for a Derby team which is still a 'work in progress'. It seemed as though Stoke took their foot a bit too much off the gas and dropped their level, which is when Derby had their spell of posession. I was quite disappointed because had we carried on as we'd started the score might have been a lot different. I would have played Pennant from the start as he's our most productive winger, but he and TP seem to have fallen out. It's a shame that no Derby poster has mentioned the Fuller/Pennant style of football, instead reiterating the now tired cliche's of the lazy media.

Derby for their part played some decent football at times without really threatening the goal, but they look a whole lot better than they did 12 months ago, especially in defence and I'm sure that under Clough they will prosper eventually.

As for the support. I've always spoken highly of the Derby support as they always get a decent crowd, even in the championship, but today I thought your crowd was very quiet, and the 'Derby is a s*ithole' song that the Stokies sang was the loudest of the day bar delilah.

Anyway .... Best of luck with your league form from now on.

Regards

Mr Sausage

On to the game - Ball did okay today, when he got the ball he did a decent job of holding it up against Stoke. Who else were we supposed to play anyway?

The reason why we created little is that Pulis saw Ball as a threat. He tried to crowd him out. As a result, the space Bryson and Green enjoyed should have been useful. It wasn't, as neither of them have a good game and Green's not the most creative anyway.

If we had Bryson on song and a right winger as good as Ward, it would have been a different story today. We were one player short.

But anyway, I'm sure I'm meant to be more negative than that. We had no shots on target so it was therefore impossible to take anything positive.

That's the best way to rate a performance. You don't look at the overall play, you just go by shots on target.

Correction: we had 1 shot on target (according to BBC)

Why are some quoting that we did not create a shot on target etc.

Stats on BBC read Derby 44% Stoke 56% possession. Stoke only had themselves 4 shots on target, Derby did have one on target. The big ones are 17 fouls by Stoke 13 fouls for Derby, yet Derby received no cards and Stoke 4 yellow cards.

These statistics show that Stoke weren't the dominant side as some believe on here. Some believed they took us apart, for a team sitting 8th with the reputation of being the dirtiest non-football side we held ourselves and gave a good account.

Take the 2 setpieces out of the equation they had nothing, the other two shots on target came from set pieces. They can't create chances in open play

Having said that before the game I said the only thing I wanted today was for once our players came off the pitch and not injures as in the last 2 pre-season games when we played Stoke as we had Barnsley on Tuesday. Really glad that happened but think that is down to luck.

Clough was asked is S Davies ready to play, response on the line off he is not to far off but Stoke is not a game for him to return in what with all the bumps in games with them. Hence why some question why Tyson did not start. Some complain that he is injured too much if he had played from the beginning he would be out for rest of season and I am really glad Robinson did not play as they would be still scraping him of the floor lol.

Well if we're not going by the shots of targets, there must be something else to suggest that was yet another average performance from Derby's most negative side in living memory.

We weren't brilliant overall today but I agree with our manager - who's doing his job, giving his players a confidence boost - in saying we had spells to be proud of. If you want to read between the lines (or not if you want to make our manager seem as clueless as you please), you can tell he was pretty dissapointed not to create any clear-cut chances. But he wasn't stressing that, he was praising the passing in the middle and the approach play. Which, if you saw the game, indeed went well and hasn't been going well in our bad patches.

Some of the things being said about this team is absolutely ludicrous. No one's claiming we're brilliant but at the moment it's impossible to say anything positive without some fans reminding you that this team is as average as it comes.

One fan claimed this is the most negative, unexciting team he can remember as a fan of 30 years. That's ridiculous. I'm 17 and I can say that's categorically wrong.

Having said that before the game I said the only thing I wanted today was for once our players came off the pitch and not injures as in the last 2 pre-season games when we played Stoke as we had Barnsley on Tuesday. Really glad that happened but think that is down to luck.

Clough was asked is S Davies ready to play, response on the line off he is not to far off but Stoke is not a game for him to return in what with all the bumps in games with them. Hence why some question why Tyson did not start. Some complain that he is injured too much if he had played from the beginning he would be out for rest of season and I am really glad Robinson did not play as they would be still scraping him of the floor lol.

Remember the days when it was a mans game?

Bris and Mcsilks baffle me at times.

Not sure what you're expecting from this side, not just yet anyway.

Feel you two are to hard on the players. Agree about a new right winger, central midfielder with a physical presence and a goal scoring pacy forward. But, we haven't got them now, and for what we've got we're doing excellently. Really pleased for the squad at the mo, full of youth and showing they've got a future.

Ambitious, what makes you think we won't sign anyone in the summer?

Am not quite sure where you are coming from there.

I said it was a poor performance against a poor Stoke side. Do you not agree?

How can anyone say that a failure to create a single chance in the entire game coupled with a failure to make their keeper make a single save in the entire game warrents positivity? We have played much better than that this season.

OK, we have some kids out there so fair enough. Great. I still expected a little more fight, a lttle more of the roll your sleeves up and get stuck in spirit. We looked laboured at times as if we were merely waiting to lose the game.

I am usually very positive but struggle to take a positive from that game. Clough has out a brave face in and is doing his job as man management well in the after match interview remaining very upbeat and full of praise for the younger players. He will likely realise however that we didn't produce yesterday and will be disappointed. He was very happy with Ball and yes, Ball did OK in the first half but was utterly non existent in the second as we were as a threat.

Maybe the goal was offside. Regardless, it was poor defending in the first instance and the player should have been closed down when taking the short corner.

Stoke were there for the taking I feel yesterday had we had our full strength side out with the right attitude then the result could have been different. Unfortunately, we forgot it was a cup game.

I do however remain very upbeat as we have some fairly promising youngsters. We just need some creativity and some quality adding and who knows, we may just finish the season in the top 10.

Am not quite sure where you are coming from there.

I said it was a poor performance against a poor Stoke side. Do you not agree?

How can anyone say that a failure to create a single chance in the entire game coupled with a failure to make their keeper make a single save in the entire game warrents positivity? We have played much better than that this season.

OK, we have some kids out there so fair enough. Great. I still expected a little more fight, a lttle more of the roll your sleeves up and get stuck in spirit. We looked laboured at times as if we were merely waiting to lose the game.

I am usually very positive but struggle to take a positive from that game. Clough has out a brave face in and is doing his job as man management well in the after match interview remaining very upbeat and full of praise for the younger players. He will likely realise however that we didn't produce yesterday and will be disappointed. He was very happy with Ball and yes, Ball did OK in the first half but was utterly non existent in the second as we were as a threat.

Maybe the goal was offside. Regardless, it was poor defending in the first instance and the player should have been closed down when taking the short corner.

Stoke were there for the taking I fell yesterday had we had our full strength side out with the right attitude. Unfortunately, we forgot it was a cup game.

I do however remain very upbeat as we have some fairly promising youngsters. We just need some creativity and some quality adding and who knows, we may just finish the season in the top 10.

When you fell did your rose tinted specs fall off 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Stoke didn't need to get out of second gear.

Archived