What if.......

trooper

Was just thinking back on a couple of players we were massively interested when they were nobodies, and then hit big......

Where would we be now if we had signed them/sold them for big cash.....

Kenwynne jones.... We bottled it last min

Yakubu... Couldn't get a work permit , then magically did

Just a couple off top of my head that have cost big price tags!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think Jones would have been able to stop us getting relegated as our team was well short we would have maybe got a better start though and then given it more of a go. If we had signed Yak we would have been right in with a chance of getting promoted and we may have though Gregory was a good manager

Apart from sunderland offering better terms.

Jones was a trinidad international at the time, and two of his international team mates were at sunderland who no doubt sold the club to him. Furthermore you'd choose the club where you already had mates at wouldnt you if you were in his shoes?

Was just thinking back on a couple of players we were massively interested when they were nobodies, and then hit big......

Where would we be now if we had signed them/sold them for big cash.....

Kenwynne jones.... We bottled it last min

Yakubu... Couldn't get a work permit , then magically did

Just a couple off top of my head that have cost big price tags!!

Billy D told me of a lot more big names too that he wanted to sign!

Yakubu under Smith for me, just think!!!

Talk of Viafara makes me think about players we've been calling for in the past that went on to do absolutely nothing...

Similar to a Billy Sharp scenario now... I remember thinking Saganowski was far too good for this division in his loan spell, so dangerous and quite rightly a goal machine, but when he signed permanently he was terrible, in fact he scored more goals in his loan spell than the 3 years he spent at Southampton after that!

Viafara put in one of the best performances I have ever seen against us on the play off semi night, truly remarkable performance, he again went quiet and now playing for a nothing team in a nothing country.

I actually asked Billy Davies if Derby were going to sign David Nugent from Portsmouth (remember that debarcle) after a game once, and he openly said 'yes' but we never did, and looking back.. probably a worthwhile miss, he would of talk a chunk of wage and isn't really that good.

There are a few players that I really wanted at the time and pretty glad we missed out on.. there are a few that I really wanted at the time and we signed, that I later wished we missed out on too..

Billy D told me of a lot more big names too that he wanted to sign!

Yakubu under Smith for me, just think!!!

Im also fairly sure it was john gregory who plucked yakubu from macabi haifi in israel to train with us and play those reserve games at the start of the first season in div1 after we got relegated.

And im also sure the reason portsmouth were able to sign him successfully a year or two later was by then yakubu had married an italian, and could get round the non EU players rule.

Im also fairly sure it was john gregory who plucked yakubu from macabi haifi in israel to train with us and play those reserve games at the start of the first season in div1 after we got relegated.

And im also sure the reason portsmouth were able to sign him successfully a year or two later was by then yakubu had married an italian, and could get round the non EU players rule.

Yeah remember being annoyed at the time that we couldnt get him and he went to Pompey some short time later...

What about Gazza?! We very nearly signed him!

Archived