Clough - Delusional?

rammieib

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sol Bamba and Leon Barnett must have been rolling in it up in Scotland and in the 3rd tier of English football

NC probably signed Barker because he had a good game against us for Blackpool.. The same with Tyson.

Who do you think can afford more - Leicester or Derby?

You're seriously deluded it's embarrassing.

You're seriously deluded it's embarassing.

Have you watched Barnett? Many of their fans were unconvinced even upon promotion.

He's improving each season, but he's lucky to be in that side. Barker is probably at the same level as him. The Shackell of this season is a better defender.

He was signed by Norwich with little competition when he joined them, it was them or Coventry. Hes done very well for himself, but something special he is not.

Yet. Sol Bamba i'll agree with, he's quality, though in fairness they weren't selling until Leicester came in.

Who do you think can afford more - Leicester or Derby?

You're seriously deluded it's embarrassing.

Sorry I wasn't aware you were comparing us to them.. I thought you meant their wages were too high at their old clubs, which would have been a daft comment given where they come from.

I think the $1mill we spent on Barker and the other $500k we wasted extending Savages contract could have been spent alot better put it that way.

Sorry I wasn't aware you were comparing us to them.. I thought you meant their wages were too high at their old clubs, which would have been a daft comment given where they come from.

I think the $1mill we spent on Barker and the other $500k we wasted extending Savages contract could have been spent alot better put it that way.

No, I was talking about the straight shoot out between who could afford him, us or Leicester, because that's all that matters.

I think what frustrates me about the Clough reign is that fans are quick to advocate that he's learning, we need to give him time and that the long-term view is the way forward. Call me mightily impatient if you will, but almost three years down the line, let's be honest, how much closer are we really to where we want to be?

I really could get behind Clough and the board having so much faith in him if I saw a clear plan with a clear direction. But it just seems to me that we're blissfully muddling around in Championship obscurity getting starry-eyed every time we put a half-decent run of results together.

What's clear to me is that Clough is capable of achieving success at this level but he's incapable of maintaining it. For the past three years, we've always talked about 'if only we could have built on that good run' or 'if only we had player X, Y and Z' or 'if only we'd played 4-0-6 instead of 9-0-1'.

What scares me is that three years on, people talk about how much we've progressed but then you look at what's going on on the pitch and to be brutally honest, not much has changed at all. We are still mediocre. We are still wildly inconsistent. We still can't defend. We still don't score enough goals. We still don't have a quality central midfielder. But amazingly enough, there's still hope and still time for Clough after a series of false dawns.

Have you watched Barnett? Many of their fans were unconvinced even upon promotion.

He's improving each season, but he's lucky to be in that side. Barker is probably at the same level as him. The Shackell of this season is a better defender.

He was signed by Norwich with little competition when he joined them, it was them or Coventry. Hes done very well for himself, but something special he is not.

Yet. Sol Bamba i'll agree with, he's quality, though in fairness they weren't selling until Leicester came in.

I rarely agree with you Alex but here i do, Leon Barnett is a complete donkey, he's probably responsible for at least half of the pennos Norwich have gave away this season. He's always been a bit of a clown.

Wrong, what's changed is Clough has massively reduced the wage bill. What are you expecting?

and there by hangs the problem........ very few managers control the purse strings, ive said before i'm not a huge fan of NC, but, when your buying bargain basement its difficult to always get it right as we have seen all over the divisions year on year, even when you have money it is too, so i think we should expect a few signings to under achieve, i believ that NC has spent net about 3m which is nothing even in this league, and i dont think(altho im not sure) that he's the one who tries to acquire our targets, i think its biggus glickus, and it must be demoralising to see your targets slip by for the sake of what are comparitively small sums.......

But a budget is a budget and for the size of fan base/income i will never understand how come we have such a megre one 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

Burley also cut the wage bill and didnt spend as much on transfers as Clough yet got the team into the play offs and were half decent to watch. We are a team that lacks any quality, I said it when we were winning and now when we are losing. They work hard but in the end arent good enough

The money he has spent has been mainly on defenders ie Barker and Shackall, while they are both good players I actually think it would have been better spent in the forward area. Plenty of sides have got out of this division and been in the play offs with a defence that didnt cost as much as ours but there team had more quailty in the midfield and attacking postions.

The money he has spent has been mainly on defenders ie Barker and Shackall, while they are both good players I actually think it would have been better spent in the forward area. Plenty of sides have got out of this division and been in the play offs with a defence that didnt cost as much as ours but there team had more quailty in the midfield and attacking postions.

Good point. Which squad would we prefer. Ours or Peterborough's. Both let in soft goals, but they always are threatening to score whoever they play against.

I find Cloughs "stand off'ish" and "aloof" attitude to the media a bit irritating at times.

After all, it's our club, and the media, Radio Derby in particular are only asking the questions that we fans would like to ask ourselves.

I get that "mind your own business" attitude sometimes coming across in interviews other than the official DCFC one's.

im not sure clough is deluded.I do think he is extremely stubborn,his interviews are astounding sometimes.You wouldnt think he was watching the same game.To say that there wasnt much between the teams yesterday was insane.Does he really think the fans are that stupid?

I just think he is a poor manager who is living a charmed life.

I dont see why he gets so much credit for 'reducing the wage bill', it's not feckin rocket science, you get rid of the high earners and bring in players who require less, most of which are probably on similar wages to most other Championship clubs. Add to that, he kept Savage who was a top earner plus Green, Leacock, Pearson and Bywater who must be taking up a bulk of the wages and are nothing more than average Championship players.

Archived