Clough - Delusional?

rammieib

Did I see a different game to everyone else? I know we were poor today but so were they. They got us on the counter twice and didn't apply any constant pressure until around the 70th minute, where we had our backs to the wall for 5 mins. Other than that we were applying all the pressure with some good passing moves and unlucky not to have scored in my opinion.

I was shocked when everyone booed a bad pass when the player showed good vision but couldnt quite pull it off, or when a player got tackled far too easily. Give the lads some encouragement and they might do better! There are some positives to go with the many negatives you know.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot remember Ward running onto a through-ball since he's been a DCFC player - so he's not a striker in my book. I get so frustrated how he permanently wants the ball to feet.

Maguire has been a complete waste of money.

Everything today was shocking. Even Fielding isn't blameless. The first one he already committed himself to the dive, the second one fair enough but doesn't fulfil me with confidence.

I just wish NC would fill the midfield and get us playing passing football..

Over the past few years we've looked so much better when playing with one up top and either 2 attacking midfielders either side or one in behind..

Commons and Hulse were never replaced, a proper striker and an attacking midfielder with creativity..

I really don't rate B.Davies nor do I rate the 4-4-2 we play..

For WHU and the inuries I'd have Ball uptop with Ward and Cywka either side and Maguire playing as the spearhead of a midfield 3 of Bryson, Maguire and Hendrick.. All 3 of them are capable of keeping the ball against a direct WHU team and get Cwyka and Ward to cut inside, go on overlaps, basically roam free behind Ball..

Either that or get a new striker in on loan as we really are short of strikers.

Maguire and Cywka were both poor today

Did I see a different game to everyone else? I know we were poor today but so were they. They got us on the counter twice and didn't apply any constant pressure until around the 70th minute, where we had our backs to the wall for 5 mins. Other than that we were applying all the pressure with some good passing moves and unlucky not to have scored in my opinion.

I was shocked when everyone booed a bad pass when the player showed good vision but couldnt quite pull it off, or when a player got tackled far too easily. Give the lads some encouragement and they might do better! There are some positives to go with the many negatives you know.

Interesting to note your reaction to the crowd. The fans have been far more patient this season than last, but I sensed today they are turning a little and a damn good booing isn't too far away!

I think the answer to your first question is yes. Well, everyone else except Nigel.

You can be unlucky not to score if you hit the woodwork, or have a couple of shots well saved but all I can remember is an overhead kick from Maguire which caused no problems.

Swansea just passed the ball round for ages against Man Utd but if there is no end product, its worthless. So, as the above poster says, yes I think you and Nigel were watching a different game.

Generally I'm a Clough fan, but I'm not sure how you can say there wasn't much between the teams. Just because Fielding only had one save to make, I don't think you can qualify that as a close tie. We were outplayed, and absolutely frightened to death of them upfront.

Sometimes teams don't even need to get out of third gear to win a football match..

You say Hull may only have had a few chances themselves, but that doesn't tell the story..

Hull haven't dominated many teams this season (hence their GD) and the majority of their wins have been 1-0.. However, I'm pretty sure they'd openly admit that this was possibly the easiest 3 points they've had this season..

I remember watching Leicester beat us 0-2 last season at PP and we offered nothing, we weren't dominated ie. having shots rained in on us or cut to pieces, but the victory for the opposition was a formality and so so easy.. Reminiscent under GB and when we used to go away at places like Gillingham, Rotherham, Sheff Utd, Cardiff, Burnley etc. and just cruise to a 0-2 victory.

Also it seems to be a common theme when we lose.. The same old 'we were **** but so were they' or 'we matched them all over the pitch but just a few errors cost us'.. When in reality the opposition were just of a higer quality than us.

If it's any consolation Hull are nailed on for a top 10 finish this season, they're a vibrant young team with some very good players for this level.

Now is too late.

This summer was the time to fix or at least ease the striker probs we have. However the manager decided to stick with a very injury prone S Davies, roll the dice paying decent wages for a very injury prone Tyson. Leaving Robinson, Ball as our only out and out strikers after those two crocks.

Not much quality there I'm afraid. Should have done more this summer. He had the funds. £400k on Maguire could have been sent a lot better.

Hang about here, Glick said they were looking to spend a couple of million on a striker. Then all of a sudden we did not ship out the high earners and the money is not there. If we are going to start and play the blame game at the time of signing Tyson Maguire etc there was still talk of a couple of million for a striker where did that money go.

Clough in the interview stated along the lines the two stikers combined for them is £3million and they made the difference today. A couple of times this year he has eluded to the strikers the other teams have i.e. Southampton. He also said they had been linked to a number the question is if we are linked with the feck are we not signing them. Glick cost us Sammon last year and that was a player we really missed out on and I can't understand why he does not get more of a chance at Wigan cos when he is on they appear to be more of a threat.

Glick and Board time to get the cheque book out and sign the £2m striker as promised.

Hang about here, Glick said they were looking to spend a couple of million on a striker. Then all of a sudden we did not ship out the high earners and the money is not there. If we are going to start and play the blame game at the time of signing Tyson Maguire etc there was still talk of a couple of million for a striker where did that money go.

Clough in the interview stated along the lines the two stikers combined for them is £3million and they made the difference today. A couple of times this year he has eluded to the strikers the other teams have i.e. Southampton. He also said they had been linked to a number the question is if we are linked with the feck are we not signing them. Glick cost us Sammon last year and that was a player we really missed out on and I can't understand why he does not get more of a chance at Wigan cos when he is on they appear to be more of a threat.

Glick and Board time to get the cheque book out and sign the £2m striker as promised.

Does it have to be £2m?

Does it have to be £2m?

No it doesn't I agree but if people are going to blame Clough for the summer it is worth remembering that he had already signed or in the process of signing these players at the time of Glick's comments. Glick changed the ball game when Leacock, Bywater, Pearson etc did not leave through summer. If Clough had been told the boundaries at the time do you think we would have signed some of the players we did in the summer or would he have spent the money on a striker. He thought he had the money to do this bit of business.

Look at Waghorn. We chased him all summer apparently, he then went out on loan why the feck did we not sign him on loan with view of perm if not true. Over the last couple of seasons we have signed a hatful of loan players, now you telling me that Clough has all of a sudden decided not to bring loan players in or is it that there is no money for loan players who are going to make a difference.

A further thing as well. I listened to his comments and yes they baffled me slightly.

However last year when he slated off players and their performances everyone has a go at him. When he defends his team they slate him.

If you listen to the interview in full there are a couple of well placed words. For example the fringe players have been given a chance and it is up to them to take it and so far they have not come near to doing so. This includes Doyle, Maguire, Cywka and Ball.

The other fringe players O'Brien and Hendrick have taken up the gauntlet the others need to do so or they will not be here for much longer. The players as well as the manager have a responsibility to produce. Clough has been loyal to the players by giving them the chances it is time they repaid the fans and the management by actually putting in a shift.

you saw a different game to everyone but nigel.

I thought they were pretty good to be honest, specially going forward. We didn't really test them, though, so it's hard to say.

Clough is normally straight down the line with his assessments, but I'm baffled by this one.

Still, we all disagree on games and performances, and he's no different.

Hull haven't dominated many teams this season (hence their GD) and the majority of their wins have been 1-0.. However, I'm pretty sure they'd openly admit that this was possibly the easiest 3 points they've had this season..

They scored there goals far too easily, but they worked hard to prevent us from doing anything when we pressured them.

Also it seems to be a common theme when we lose.. The same old 'we were **** but so were they' or 'we matched them all over the pitch but just a few errors cost us'.. When in reality the opposition were just of a higer quality than us.

There wasn't much difference. It's just they have forwards who could score, we didn't.

If it's any consolation Hull are nailed on for a top 10 finish this season, they're a vibrant young team with some very good players for this level.

I agree

A further thing as well. I listened to his comments and yes they baffled me slightly.

However last year when he slated off players and their performances everyone has a go at him. When he defends his team they slate him.

If you listen to the interview in full there are a couple of well placed words. For example the fringe players have been given a chance and it is up to them to take it and so far they have not come near to doing so. This includes Doyle, Maguire, Cywka and Ball.

The other fringe players O'Brien and Hendrick have taken up the gauntlet the others need to do so or they will not be here for much longer. The players as well as the manager have a responsibility to produce. Clough has been loyal to the players by giving them the chances it is time they repaid the fans and the management by actually putting in a shift.

the problems were nigel slated players unfairly, he defends undefendable performances, if he came out tonight and said this wasn't good enough no-one would have complained. This guy has spent a decent bit of money this season and let's face it, in the past 10 games or so we don't look like we have really progressed. Ball has had about 10 minutes of game time in the first team. The manager needs to repay the board by not acting like a sulky child on the touchline and putting a center back upfront with twenty minutes to go, the man is devoid of ideas and character. He needs to get results together and quickly.

Archived