Maguire shines to give boss food for thought

Day

CHRIS Maguire's eye-catching display as a substitute against Middlesbrough has played him into Nigel Clough's plans ahead of Derby County's clash with Portsmouth on Saturday.

Clough said the summer signing from Aberdeen had not done enough in training and reserve-team games to force himself into the first team before now.

But the Rams manager admits that Maguire's half an hour against Boro at the weekend was his best since he arrived at the club.

"It was as good as we have seen from him, without a doubt," said Clough.

"I thought he showed some good touches, he hardly gave the ball away and looked creative. Chris did well and he comes into our plans more on what he did at Boro but he has never really been out of our plans.

"He has been in the 16 most games but we have played pretty well in the forward positions and the reason he hasn't been on the pitch more is because he has not done quite enough in training or the Reserves."

Maguire was out of contract at Aberdeen in the summer and Derby had to agree a compensation package worth around £470,000 to land the 22-year-old Scottish international forward.

He has yet to start for Derby in the League and had appeared for only 17 minutes in total as a substitute before he came on against Boro.

His one start so far was in the Carling Cup defeat by Shrewsbury Town.

With Steven Davies (fractured skull) and Nathan Tyson (groin) both ruled out, Davies until the New Year, Maguire and the likes of Tomasz Cywka and Callum Ball have an opportunity to stake a claim for a place.

On Saturday, 15-year-old Mason Bennett was handed a history-making debut as Theo Robinson's partner up front.

Clough says the other strikers, including Maguire, need to convince him that they are worth a start.

"When you are new to a club, you have to impress on every single opportunity you get, whether in training, reserve games or behind-closed-doors' games," said Clough.

"Sometimes it takes players a bit longer to settle, a bit longer to understand what is wanted. And that is why we have put people on ahead of Chris at times.

"Tomasz Cywka has been with us 18 months, Conor Doyle as well. They are probably just a little bit ahead in terms of knowing what we need from them on the pitch.

"But Chris has been here for only three months and, with Steven Davies out, his performance at Middlesbrough probably pushes him a little bit further up the pecking order."

Derby have dismissed a report linking them with a loan move for West Bromwich Albion's 18-year-old midfielder George Thorne.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-13665030-detail/story.html

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope he's less frustrating than he was in the summer.

Classy player at times, but watching him spray a 30 yard Hollywood ball to feet after miscontrolling a throw-in or a 2 yard pass can be a bit infuriating. His shooting looks a mixture of stunners.... and shots that may endanger the cars outside. Looking forward to seeing how he plays in a compettitve game.

He was alright v Shrewsbury. I know that doesn't sound like a great advert but he did alright while everyone else was poor around him.

I'd personally like to see Mags and Mason upfront, although I suspect Robinson and Mags will be the starting 2.

Injuries have left Nigel with limited options haven't they. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Maguire playing off Robinson........ what is there to play off? Flick ons? Knock downs? Hold up play?

I agree i'd rather see Mason with Maguire. I'd rather see Ball with Maguire. But all the options are a bit less than we'd want. Whatever Nigel does it wont be ideal. We aren't in a position anymore to send out any sort of Strike partnership.

'Square pegs and round holes' is the saying?

Wouldn't mind seeing a 4231. I know it had to be abandoned due to injuries, but it's getting hard to play 2 upfront!! They say Kilbane can play DM. If i was Nigel i'd be tempted to ask Hendrick to hold with Kilbane and let Maguire,Bryson,Ward and Robinson see what they can do between 'em.

Bloody injuries. Us and Doncaster. Every bloody year!

Maguire must be a lazy cnut if S Davies does more than him to get in the 1st team....... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Well you must be happy that Steve Davies has a terrible injury and wont be playing for a while!!

Injuries have left Nigel with limited options haven't they. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Maguire playing off Robinson........ what is there to play off? Flick ons? Knock downs? Hold up play?

I agree i'd rather see Mason with Maguire. I'd rather see Ball with Maguire. But all the options are a bit less than we'd want. Whatever Nigel does it wont be ideal. We aren't in a position anymore to send out any sort of Strike partnership.

Wouldn't mind seeing a 4231. I know it had to be abandoned due to injuries, but it's getting hard to play 2 upfront!! They say Kilbane can play DM. If i was Nigel i'd be tempted to ask Hendrick to hold with Kilbane and let Maguire,Bryson,Ward and Robinson see what they can do between 'em.

Maguire will drift behind the striker, much like commons did so the ideal person to have upfront would be the best finisher at the club, for me that is probably mason who is considered a intelligent striker who gets in the right areas, although Robinson can also do that.

I really don't feel like the team we put out will make or break us, the team spirit and determination alone gives me hope that we will get a win, even with the ridiculous number of injuries.

Sorry you can not drop Ben Davies he is the only one who can put a cross in and his dead ball is by far the best in the team. I would play Maguire up front with Bryson, Ben Davies and Ward if we went to that formation

Archived