Maguire shines to give boss food for thought

Day

Sounds like Clough was not impressed with Maguire at all last night. Saw that he got taken off early in the second half. Maguire said that he gave Bennett no help at all up front. What did you rekon of his display against Cardiff? Did Cwyka do any better?

Thought Maguire was better than Bennett, who was not involved in any way, or Cywka, who looked thoroughly depressed to be thrown on with the game as good as lost. Maguire was forced to drop deep to pick up the ball because there was nothing coming from midfield and at least tried to use it. I'm afraid Bennett looked totally lost for most of the game, other than a couple of sprints and a great effort to keep the ball in play as the keeper was trying to shepherd it out.

That's not a criticism of him, it must have been hard for both him and Maguire, and the midfield supplying them, given that neither had played together before and between them had two league games under their belt this season.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Maguire was better than Bennett, who was not involved in any way, or Cywka, who looked thoroughly depressed to be thrown on with the game as good as lost. Maguire was forced to drop deep to pick up the ball because there was nothing coming from midfield and at least tried to use it. I'm afraid Bennett looked totally lost for most of the game, other than a couple of sprints and a great effort to keep the ball in play as the keeper was trying to shepherd it out.

That's not a criticism of him, it must have been hard for both him and Maguire, and the midfield supplying them, given that neither had played together before and between them had two league games under their belt this season.

I disagree. Maguire was absolutely woeful, he gave the ball away every time he got it. Maguire just wasn't moving enough either - whether that's laziness, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was considering Clough's reasoning for leaving him out...

And I don't know what's expected of Bennett anymore because some seem to think he's already a potential game changer. He's inexperienced - four years younger than Hendrick - it doesn't matter how good you are, it's hard to make an impact on the game when you don't really know what you're supposed to be doing. And Maguire wasn't helping - I don't think I saw him talk to Bennett once last night. Not even a "keep it up son", let alone anything tactical.

You do say it's not Bennett's fault and I agree, it doesn't matter who you put up there with such an ineffectual midfield - but, we must remind ourselves, that was the only midfield we could have picked. And Malky McKay knew that, and he made sure Cardiff played a game Hendrick and Bryson couldn't cope with.

When you've got inexperience, 10 injuries and when the opposing manager knows the team you have to pick, it's virtually impossible to stop your weaknesses being exposed. There wasn't much point in going yesterday, defeat was such a foregone conclusion!

Archived