A quarter through the season, how are we doing?

Martyn

Yeah, because there is no chance of a manger leaving/ being sacked if a contract is in place. I still can't believe that you don't see the great job Clough has done! Which other Championship manager would you prefer, given the financial constraints?

I am happy with where we are- delighted actually, can't see us maintaining it and it will be a shame when people start moaning about Clough (Young Ram et al) when we are finishing 12th-14th as we are surely going to do and is all that can be expected.

your rant has no factual basis, where did i moan about clough's performance in my post? I simply believe 3 year contracts are a bad idea and in my opinion he did a poor job last season and so far a good one this year. I would have given him a 2 year extension rather than a 3 and a half year one.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You weren't moaning, I said that you would be moaning at the end of the season- as you did about last season when we achieved the best position we realistically could have expected. The point I was making about the contract is that they are irrelevant, the mean nothing- Clough could walk or be sacked tomorrow regardless of the fact that he has just signed a contract

your rant has no factual basis, where did i moan about clough's performance in my post? I simply believe 3 year contracts are a bad idea and in my opinion he did a poor job last season and so far a good one this year. I would have given him a 2 year extension rather than a 3 and a half year one.

That he did a poor job last year is a matter of opinion.

I think we should count ourselves lucky we weren't relegated, and he did a good job.

Think we can break the seasons down into transfer windows..

First window:

Played 5 won 4 lost 1.. Perfect start, grinding out results however the performances against Watford and Brum were IMO disappointing.. The introduction of Hendrick at Blackpool made us look a lot more solid, and against Donny we looked decent.. Burnley was a blip..

Second window:

Played 5 won 2 drew 1 lost 2.. Disappointing against Coventry, we were dire.. Much better against Forest and Millwall, defended better and started to create abit more.. Barnsley was a decent performance and we were unlucky to win.. However, Leicester was a shambles and we looked really sluggish.. The quality difference between the sides, especially uptop, was glaringly obvious. Overall 7 points from 5 games is midtable form so still on track..

Third window:

A draw 1-1 at top of the league followed by a 2-2 at Reading is good.. But the performances were IMO poor and we're starting to see the real Derby County of this season.. Hard working, difficult to beat, but average-poor on the ball and strikers who (despite scoring) aren't really defending from the top well enough, allowing us to be penned back..

Predictions:

We'll slide down the table, no way are we a top 6 side despite possessing some decent youngsters and a quality CB in Shackell.. We are currently short on a decent LB, CM (that can keep the ball), AM (that can create), RW (that can take on a man/dribble) and 2 STs (that are intelligent, can control the ball, make diagonal runs and defend from the top)..

We'll be fine though, a finish of around 13th/14th isn't out of the question.. We'll be nowhere near a relegation fight and I expect to see alot of draws this season..

I think the disappointing aspect so far has been our passing, particularly out of defence. I think O'Brien and Anderson have defended well but then they thrash the ball straight back to the opposition and we're under the cosh again. Not only that, but the midfield and attack then don't get any momentum and they tend to rush things, especially without the support of attacking full backs. I think we knew we weren't going to be too potent as an attacking force but all credit to the team for their effort.

We do look a bit weak in midfield since Ward and Davies are practically wingers, and neither Bryson nor Hendrick are dominant forces (though they are good players). If we can collect a few more points before Barker and Bailey come back, I think a couple of good loan players could get us to about 8th.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed in Shackell, not for his play but for his lack of leadership at the back - I think we need him to dominate more and perhaps if he leads the way the other defenders might get confidence to play the ball out of defence and get some fluency back into the team. Still think if we're positive we can beat Middlesboro.

I agree with all that Anag Ram.

Except the Shackell bit.

Think he's a class defender. And a decent leader. Can't wait to have a fit Barker alongside him and an in form Brayford.

Otherwise i agree with you entirely.

I agree in a sense with Anag Ram on Shacks.. He possesses so much quality, yet he IMO doesn't really take command at the back (when we're in possession).. We should get him on the ball more, he has a marauding run from deep in him, he's also a decent passer.. Instead of allowing O'Brien, Roberts or Anderson to just hoof it he should be asking for the ball in a Rio/Pique type role and play from the back..

I get the impression he's happy to let the game just fly by, doing his own job (which is a really good job - he's a top defender at this level) and not really help out his 'weaker on the ball' defenders by asking for the ball..

I think the disappointing aspect so far has been our passing, particularly out of defence. I think O'Brien and Anderson have defended well but then they thrash the ball straight back to the opposition and we're under the cosh again.

Don't know if anyone picked up on this, but take a look back at Hendricks goal against Forest and look at the contribution O'Brien made..

The ball came to him, 30 yards out, back to goal, and he just hooked the ball over the top without taking a single look, handled it worse than a hot potato..

Any player comfortable on the ball would have brought that down, turned, laid it off to someone and move..

Maybe he's not confident enough in his footballing skills? But that movement/hook was Sunday League stuff.. I shouldn't complain though, his defending has been decent and that movement led to Hendrick's goal..

He'll never be a ball playing defender, I don't think. But while ever he's next to someone like Shackell, they'll probably compliment each other quite well.

Paul McGrath is one of the best defenders I've ever seen at Derby, and essentially he cow kicked anything that came near him!

So what would be your first term report?

How are we compared to where you think we'd be?

What do you think we will get from the rest of the season? Have your expectations changed?

Do we really ahev a have of being up there at the end of the season or do you think we will plummet down and end up in a another relegation scrap?

Your thoughts please! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Pleasing start, more than acceptable in the circumstances, but you wonder where we might be with a bit of extra quality in key areas in the shape of certain players not being injured or Clough having more money available to fully strengthen the squad.

I actually had us collecting a better points return - 23 points from 12 games - from what seemed an optimistic pre-season prediction. 7 wins (Birmingham, Watford, Doncaster, Burnley, Coventry, Barnsley, Millwall) 2 draws (Southampton, Forest) from 12 games.

In my mind, I had us down for a lower mid-table finish, 14-16th. My expectations have changed. I think we'll be comfortably top half, 8-10th, only missing out on a play-off spot due to the lack of a natural goalscorer in the ranks.

My take on it..

Performances - 6/10 - would love to give more but I simply don't believe we have played that brilliantly whatsoever, we've managed to grind out points and wins along the season but we haven't really been outstanding at any point, a lot of good solid consistent performances through the team and a great team spirit has seen that through. I do believe there is room for improvement, but might have to wait for key players to return before we see anything close to our best.

Prediction - 7th- it's a hard one to pick on the basis I really struggle to know what's going to happen in the future based on injuries we've got several key players out, and we are in probably our toughest run of the season and we're still keeping our head strong, although it's disappointing not to have a win but you look at who is out, Barker and Brayford who are a MASSIVE part of our defence, very much key and then in midfield you have Bailey and Green who are yet to come back, don't forget Pearson (chuckles) and then obviously Tyson and SDavies who would probably be our first choice striking pair if fit which is ironic with them two, as they don't manage that very often. We have a little to play with in january and have players coming back, not a bad position to be in, we just need to keep competing and if we do that, we'll perhaps better my prediction.

even beating the scum 2-1 with 10 men gives this season a great feeling, and in my point of view if we keep up there and get in the play-offs.. absolutely fantastic, but if we don't, then to me doesn't matter just build on what we have for next season because the foundations are there, use the wisely!

Of our 12 games this season..

Brum H 2-1 ----> won on a S.Davies wondergoal

Watford A 0-1 -----> Won on another S.Davies beauty

Blackpool A 0-1 ------> Won by a saved freekickic rebound

Donny H 3-0 -------> Comfortably better

Burnley H 1-2 ---------> Lost through a Frank Fielding error.. Plus a goal that wasn't given

Coventry A 2-0 ---------> Lost through a refereeing mistake (penalty)

Forest A 1-2 --------> Won through a Hendrick longranger

Millwall H 3-0 ----------> Comfortably better

Barnsley H 1-1 --------> Drew, both teams could have won

Leicester A 4-0 ----------> Easy home win, comfortably outplayed

Southampton H 1-1 -----------> Outplayed for long parts, 2nd best..

Reading A 2-2 ------------> Outplayed for long parts, though winning on two occasions.. Draw was fair (ish)

So conclusion to our results.. We definately deserved to win 2 games, and definately deserved to lose to Leicester.. Soton we did well to escape with a draw.. The other 8 games could have gone either way.. Just goes to show how tight (sh*te) the NPC really is..

So many games are decided on a single incident (an error from the ref/goally, a wonderstrike, a disallowed goal, a lucky deflection etc..)

Have the luck turn against us and we could go down, have the luck go with us and we could be in the playoffs come May... I just find it hard to get excited by our league position due to the way we're playing (performances) and our obvious weaknesses.. We'll have a far better season next year I think.. So a midtable finish this season is definatly something to build on.

Its too early to say where we will finish. Agree that the biggest plusses this season are that we have become harder to beat and the amazing form of youngsters O'brien and Hendrick, considering their lack of experience and how young they are.

We are desperate for reinforcements, be it through players returning from injury, or loans. As has been mentioned the group of sides within 1 win of our points total goes down to 12th

Hull and Brum for example are two of the current form teams, so the whole table could look very different by the next international break. Saints and the Hammers look like they both have the staying power and squad options to stay in the top 6 for the rest of the season. As for us, think it is simple. If the board does not give Clough the funds to reinforce the side, we will drop back to around 16th

Of our 12 games this season..

Brum H 2-1 ----> won on a S.Davies wondergoal

Watford A 0-1 -----> Won on another S.Davies beauty

Blackpool A 0-1 ------> Won by a saved freekickic rebound

Donny H 3-0 -------> Comfortably better

Burnley H 1-2 ---------> Lost through a Frank Fielding error.. Plus a goal that wasn't given

Coventry A 2-0 ---------> Lost through a refereeing mistake (penalty)

Forest A 1-2 --------> Won through a Hendrick longranger

Millwall H 3-0 ----------> Comfortably better

Barnsley H 1-1 --------> Drew, both teams could have won

Leicester A 4-0 ----------> Easy home win, comfortably outplayed

Southampton H 1-1 -----------> Outplayed for long parts, 2nd best..

Reading A 2-2 ------------> Outplayed for long parts, though winning on two occasions.. Draw was fair (ish)

So conclusion to our results.. We definately deserved to win 2 games, and definately deserved to lose to Leicester.. Soton we did well to escape with a draw.. The other 8 games could have gone either way.. Just goes to show how tight (sh*te) the NPC really is..

So many games are decided on a single incident (an error from the ref/goally, a wonderstrike, a disallowed goal, a lucky deflection etc..)

Have the luck turn against us and we could go down, have the luck go with us and we could be in the playoffs come May... I just find it hard to get excited by our league position due to the way we're playing (performances) and our obvious weaknesses.. We'll have a far better season next year I think.. So a midtable finish this season is definatly something to build on.

Didn't we murder Barnsley 1-1?

Was just about to say the same! Other than that I generally agree with how each game has been.

Have the luck turn against us and we could go down, have the luck go with us and we could be in the playoffs come May...

But instead of seeing our league position as down to "luck" I see it as signs of a vast improvement in our resolve. These are exactly the games we *would* have lost last season. Well in the game just losing out narrowly and feeling a bit hard done to.

And it's that kind of resolve of getting these hard-fought results that gets you out of this division.

League positions of teams we've played

League positions of teams we haven't played

It's been a great start, but remember the above if we lose a few tough games with an inury hit squad and the usual moaners say Clough has lost it. A run of draws against some good team is fine. Even if it doesn't get us quite as many points, i'd rather be unbeaten to keep the belief up. Hanging around high mid-table will be fine for the next few months, then we could have a little playoff push in March. 3 good players bought in over the next 2 transfer windows-LB, CM and goal scorer should see us compete well next year.

I think it's going to take a huge amount of effort for the current starting 11 to pick up points from now till December.

Im not doubting the lads in any way, they have more than proved they can play well.

The only thing that concerns me now, is the unfortunate situation we have found ourselves in up front.

Poor Steve Davies has got a dent in his head (he's pretty lucky it wasn't any worse) and Tyson's been doing to many lunges.

It doesn't look like we're gonna get anyone in, because we can probably make do with who already have.

I hope Thicko Cwyka can prove himself. To be honest I think he'll do well playing behind Theo, I like Tomasz, think most fans do so it's good to see the lad getting his chance. Maybe Nige has been building him up?

Anyway let's see how we do in the morrow UTR

Archived