Foreign owners 'want end to Premier League relegation'

Day

Several foreign-owned Premier League clubs want to scrap relegation, according to League Managers Association chief Richard Bevan.

If more clubs are sold to foreigner investors, they may have enough votes to force through the change.

But Bevan hopes that a government-led inquiry can help prevent the proposal.

"We're very keen that the report is successful in helping the Football Association introduce a licensing programme for clubs," he said.

"Because there are a number of overseas-owned clubs already talking about bringing about the avoidance of promotion and relegation in the Premier League.

"If we have four or five more new owners, that could happen."

More to follow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15336398.stm

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for one really hope this happens, would take the football league back to something similar to what it was before division 1 turned into the premiership.

The premiership getting closed and having games abroad sounds pretty damn perfect to me, just hope to god we are part of the football league and not the premier league!

It is a bad joke, while the football league would be better off for it, i wouldn't want derby county to never have the chance to play manchester united and win the premiership. Relegation and promotion make the season exciting and to take it away would be a great shame.

It is a bad joke, while the football league would be better off for it, i wouldn't want derby county to never have the chance to play manchester united and win the premiership. Relegation and promotion make the season exciting and to take it away would be a great shame.

Dont worry, we are already at that stage, we will never win the premiershit, well, not without the backing of sheik whoever.

For me, its a great idea, genuinely i am much happier watching the Rams in the second division, and ask anyone who was around at the time, the best of days were always the away trips in the old division three... Happy days.

As uttox pointed out, it is just another step closer to the "Sky European Sky Super Sky League Sky Sky" and that cant come quick enough. Let them all rot in the sterile atmospheres of corporate packages and plastic football amd plastic footballers.

Give me an away trip to Darlington, or a weekend trip away at Southend!

Those greedy ******** should be shot. They think they should get away with anything because they are rich. Football should be about players, fans and history of the clubs, not to make more money for people that already got more than they will ever need.

Imagine watching some smug gits getting battered every single week, stuck in the same division.

In a European Super League it could be Celtic?? Oh pleeease let Celtic in.

In a fixed PL it could be Swansea. Horrible fans enduring a PL season like ours. Year after year after year after year....

Meanwhile, we're in a world where you have a chance of beating anyone. Sometimes a slim chance, but always a chance. It's pathetic that you have to go to such historic clubs like Chelsea and Man City and defend for 90mins knowing even if you do your best you can only hope for a draw. Booooorring

I wonder how they'd implement this. Would they just close the door at the end of a particular season? Imagine if it happened last season when Blackpool were in the Premier League.

Would they expel the smaller teams and replace them with the bigger teams? Could Sheffield Wednesday get to leap frog two divisions?

How would you define which is a bigger team?

They'd find a way to get Leeds in. And West Ham.

Sky wouldn't cope else.

Probably have to buy your way in and have to have won the top division.

We should brainstorm. It a genius idea for ruining the already ruined top flight.

Imagine if the door had of closed on us in our last attempt!! Trapped!!

Archived